Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Faustina II Sestertius  (Read 636 times)

Offline newbeonecoinobe

• Consul
  • This a great forum
Faustina II Sestertius
« on: November 21, 2012, 04:45:17 pm »
I recently acquired this Faustina II Sestertius at a coin show from a reputable dealer.  After getting it home a looking a little closer I started to suspect that it may be a cast.  I would therefore like the opinions of the forvm experts on the coin.   I suppose it could have been overheated at one time or harshly cleaned but I am just not sure.  I did search the Fakes database and did not find this coin but I could have missed it.  I think the coin is RIC 1378C the Obverse legend is FAUSTINAEAVG-PIIAVGFIL and the reverse is LAET-ITIAE-PVBLICAE with SC in the fields.  The coins weight is 23.2G and the size is 30c.  Any help or information appreciated.  

PS about 8 tenths of the way up the staff there appears to be a bead.   <clickable image>

Thank You
Pete

gavignano

Re: Faustina II Sestertius
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 06:33:50 pm »
Pete - can we see the edge?
The thing on the staff is a little funny, how do the raised areas around ITIAE look also? It looks more like a filled die there, not sure.
I would lean ok, especailly if the edge looks clean. It has been fairly harshly cleaned.

Offline newbeonecoinobe

• Consul
  • This a great forum
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 10:39:30 pm »
Thanks for looking here is the edge and a couple of close-ups of the area you asked about.
I really wonder about the black stuff all over the coin in places it almost looks like it was put there on purpose and even touched up some. 

Thanks again
Pete

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 05:05:24 am »
I would see if it is, in fact, smeared with fake patina, instead of harshly celaned. Acetone is your best friend, especially if you like to buy from not so reputable dealers.  ;)
Andreas Reich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity