Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A new type for Macrinus from Marcianopolis?  (Read 4754 times)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
A new type for Macrinus from Marcianopolis?
« on: September 30, 2006, 06:59:24 pm »
Hi!

Today I got this type of Macrinus & Diadumenian from Marcianopolis.

Moesia inferior, Markianopolis, Macrinus & Diadumenian AD 217-218
AE 26, 10.4g
obv. AV KM OPELL CEVH MAKRINOC
       Confronted heads of Diadumenian, l., and Macrinus, laureate, r.
rev. VP PONTIAN - OV MARKIANOP / OLITW
       Asklepios in himation stg. frontal, head l., resting on snake-staff with r. arm, holding puff of
       mantle over l. arm
       E in r. field (for pentassarion)

This type is found in several versions but not in these special constellations: While the obv. is found on AMNG 773 ( rev. showing Liberalitas) the rev. legend is not listed in AMNG nor Hristova/Jekov. So it seems to be a new type!

Any suggestions highly appreciated!

Best regards

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: A new type for Macrinus from Marcianopolis?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 10:39:42 pm »
None of mine in this format (3-liners, for short) is so clean as yours, but they are critical to my study.  Pat L.

10 07 03 AE 27  11.06g  Marcianopolis, issued by Pontianus.  Diadumenian, head to r. and Macrinus, laureate, head to l.  AV K OPPEL SEVE MAKRINOS and, in three lines at bottom, K M OPPELI /ANTONIN /OS.  Rev., Asklepios, unbearded, frontal, head to l., holding "bun" to feed live snake rising from his crutch-staff; himation draped from left shoulder and around waist, leaving r. shoulder and whole breast bare.  VP PONTIAN    OV MARKIANOP and in exergue OLITOmega and possibly N below.  In r. field lunate E.  Rev. die Pick AMNG I, 1, p. 242, no. 746, which is listed with a different obverse (though also with son to r.); on this coin, the obverse is the no longer so rare Pick, p. 235, no. 716.

060405 Æ27  11.78g  axis 6.30h  Marcianopolis.  Issued by Pontianus.  Macrinus, laureate, to r. and Diaduemenian, bareheaded, to l.  AV K OPPEL SEVE MAKREINOS Kand below M OPPEL ANTO / NINOS DIADO /VMENIA.  N.B., the K in the circular legend and the distinctive divisions in the three lines (this is not the obverse of Pick 746.  Rev., beardless Asklepios stg. frontal and looking l., his himation covering his l. shoulder only, leaning on his staff in his r.up which his snake winds; lunate E in l. field.  VP PONTIANOV MARKIANOPOLIT and in the exergue only OmegaN (compare nos. 745 and 746, both of which have LITOmegaN in the exergue).  There is no obv. legend in AMNG I, 1, with both names, that gets so far as -MENIA, and this one's obverse is stylistically distinct from the other 3-liners, too.

05 06 06 Æ27  13.54g  axis 1h.  Marcianopolis, issued by Pontianus.  Diadumenian to r. and Macrinus, laureate, to l., confronted heads  over 3 lines of legend.  This is Pick 746, so [AV K OPPEL SEVÊ MAKREINOS] and below K M OPPEL AN /  TÔNINOS DI  /  ADOVMEN.   Rev., Asklepios, bearded, frontal with head to l., his staff in his r. armpit, the snake climbing it (its head free), half draped, his weight on his l. leg, his r. hand on his staff rather than feeding the snake.  This is like Pick 748 (but with squared E) or 749 (but with E in left field: see BMC 32, 36 and 32 ("ungenau mit AVT K M" refers to the obv.)  VP PONTIANOV MARKIANOPOLEITIÔN,  continuous and without ligatures.

This is the sort of scenario that Hr&J's straitjacket is unprepared to cope with.  There are other cases more intricate even than this one.

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 02:52:20 am »
Hi Jochen,

A very nice coin indeed - congratulations. As you say, not a new 'type' but an unlisted die combination.  It is always gratifying to find these

Attached is another couple of variation

1.Hristova/Jekov 6.24.20.5

2. Hristova/Jekov 6.24.20.3 (ob. die - Hristova-Jekov 6.24.20.7 (Rev die)

Malcolm

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 05:42:40 am »
Maybe i can contribute to this thread with another combination, at least unlisted in AMNG I and so far not seen in previous posts:

Marcianopolis, Macrinus and Diadumenian, issued by Pontianus, Æ28 / 5 assaria, 12,82 g., 217-218 AD.,
Obv.: AY K OΠEΛ CEV MAKPEINOC K M OΠEΛ ANTΩNEINOC K , confronted draped and cuirassed busts of Diadumenian and Macrinus, both seen from behind, Macrinus, laureate, to r. and Diadumenian, bareheaded, to l.
Rev.: VΠ ΠONTIANOY MA - PKIANOΠOΛEITΩN , Asklepios, bearded, frontal with head to l., his staff in his r. armpit, the snake climbing it (its head free), half draped, his weight on his l. leg, his r. hand on his staff rather than feeding the snake, E in r. field (for pentassarion).
AMNG I , page 241-2, cf. 745 (obv.) / 749 (rev.).

Regards

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 06:53:11 am »
Thank you for your opinions and for sharing your pics!

Dear Pat, your 1st coin is the same type like my coin. But AMNG 746 to which you referred has a different break on the rev.: MARKIANOPO - LITWN instead of MARKIANOP - OLITWN as on our coins.

Hi Arminius!
Your type in this special obv./rev. combination is listed in Hrestov/Jekov as p.108 n.4 (No.6.24.20.8 ); rarity R5 (= 50 to 70 ex.)

Best regards

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 05:19:53 pm »
I have one like Arminius's, too, and it is nice as the others, but I only brought in the "three-liners". 
A single deviation, on the level of one letter in the reverse legend, does not in Pick's listings constitute grounds for a different listing; it is only an Abweichung on the specimens where it occurs.  On the other hand, we don't have an image for the one Pick recorded, and no. 746, as I said, also had a different obv. die.  Pat L
When I share my assorted accession squibs, it is only to be helpful; I would always do it all over for a publication.

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 05:57:41 pm »
It is yours and my possessing the once so rare obverse die, not only with Diadumenian to r. (there are others of those) and in this style (especially in the profile of Macrinus) and with three lines at the bottom of the obv. (there is not exergue line), BUT ALSO with only OC in the third line, so rare that, no. 716, Pick knew it only in a cast that Imhoof had in an unknown collection.  Hr&J pp. 107-108, relying on catalog photos, still do not have this obv. die.  But Jochen and I both have it.  The Asklepios dies are promiscuous, I think, and there are similar Asklepios at Nicopolis!  I also have this Homonoia with the obv. of no. 716.

23 06 03 AE 26+ 14.97g  Marcianopolis  Issued by Pontianus.  Heads of Diadumenian, to r., and Macrinus, laureate, to l.  AV K OPPEL SEVEta MAKRINOS and below K M OPPELI / ANTONIN / OS.  All sigmas and epsilons squared.  (This is the rare die Pick, AMNG I, 1, p. 235, no. 716, known to Pick only through a cast of Imhoof's, and p. 246, no. 773 with a Liberalitas reverse = 770, ex. 3, pl. XIX, 2).  Rev., Homonoia. bareheaded, stg. l. with cornucopiae and patera, making libation over burning garlanded altar.  VP PONTIANOV MARKIA[NOPO] and in exergue LITON.  The E for 5 is rounded, but the other letters recall those on obverse, though a little less spiky. (Not in Pick, but reasonably regarded as a variant of p. 245, no. 767).

I don't have the Liberalitas obv. with this reverse, but I do have a dreadful specimen of Pick's 716, with the scarce standing Zeus and eagle reverse and this obv.; Pick would have been glad to have it.

12 04 04 Æ27  12.94g axis 6:30  Marcianopolis.  Issued by Pontianus.  Diadumenian to r. and Macrinus, laureate, to l. both heads, confronted.  AV K OPPEL SEVE MAKRINOS and below heads K M OPPELI / ANTÔNIN / OS.  This is preceisely Pick's no. 716.  Rev., Zeus, half draped, stg. to l., pater in his r. hand and scepter in his l.; at his feet at l., the eagle stg. frontal and looking backand up at him.  VP P[ONTI]ANO V MARKIANO and in exergue POLI; in the field at upper l. a lunate E.  This is exactly the reverse of Pick nos. 715 and 716 (so a die link), which differ only in that 716 has the rare obv. die (knownto Pick only from Imhoof's cast and not to Varbanov, who has no standing Zeus with eagle.  But Pick notes under 715 that the hardly published specimens 2 and 3 might belong to to no. 716, since their obvs. are not recorded exactly.     

All coins are guaranteed for eternity