Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Herakles head right, Nikopolis ad Istrum  (Read 2173 times)

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Herakles head right, Nikopolis ad Istrum
« on: June 09, 2009, 03:48:17 pm »
I have recently obtained a nice specimen of a Geta AE17 from Nikopolis ad Istrum, Varbanov (Bulg.) 2535, rev. Herakles head right; both my specimen and the one that is pictured in Varbanov are clearly from the same reverse die as the Sept. Sev. example below, though Varbanov's 2535 entry misrenders the legend as NIKOPO PROS IS where it actually reads NIKOPOLITWN PROS IS.  I cannot find a Varbanov entry for this Sept. Sev. example, which the Lanz auction-listing describes as "very rare" or "sehr selten," "AMNG 1385 var." Do the Sept. Sev. and Geta examples appear in Varbanov in English, and does he get the legend right this time?  What values according to Varbanov (Eng.) do the two issues have in VF?  Thanks as always for any/all help!

[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Herakles head right, Nikopolis ad Istrum
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 03:52:46 pm »
My Septimius one is posted in my web page "Their Inherited Images", second image on that page.
My darling brat Caracalla is "sick", but I post him here.  I've never seen the one for Geta.
Pat L.
Value: these are "cool coins" (see my choosing to say 'darling brat') and in VF or better condition bring whatever someone will bid.
I'll check my Varbanov for the Geta, as you recommend.  It's 3208 in the English edition.

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 04:02:14 pm »
Thank you, Pat.  The Caracalla version is Varbanov (Bulg.) 2372, legend rendered correctly this time, val. $60 VF (same as Geta in Varbanov [Bulg.]); I'm surprised, since they all seem uncommon, and worth a good look or two, like yours at

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/ayiyoryitika/Their%20Inherited%20Images.htm

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 04:11:21 pm »
I suspect that like the busts of Serapis these were used for Septimius and both boys.  I, too, was surprised to get a Septimius when I got mine.  Getting all the 'coppers' is not easy.  Pick doesn't have all of them.  And, of course, they don't have governors' names on them.  Pat L.

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 04:14:44 pm »
Interesting that the Sept. Sev. and Geta examples really do seem to be from the same reverse die while the two Caracallas (yours and the one pictured in Varbanov [Bulg.]) share a different reverse die of their own; meanwhile those Caracalla examples also seem to be products of different obverse dies, so the sorting is starting to get interesting.  I have a Sept. Sev. specimen somewhere as well, but the trick is to locate it instantly.

My Geta example, AE17, 2.79g:

All coins are guaranteed for eternity