Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ancient Roman Gold and Glass token?  (Read 7687 times)

Offline Russ

• Consul
Ancient Roman Gold and Glass token?
« on: March 10, 2013, 03:14:36 pm »
Dear Friends,

I didn't know where to post this item - it is ancient glass but it may also be a token or something else entirely. I have no idea what it is. It is circular, and made of translucent green glass. Seemingly, when the glass was molten, a die was covered in gold leaf/foil,  then pressed into the molten glass, leaving a gilded impression in the glass. The maximum diameter is about 8.95 mm, and the height of the golden oval is about 5 mm.
     Has anyone seen anything like this before? Thanks.
Russ

Offline Ardatirion

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
Re: Ancient Roman Gold and Glass token?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 09:40:55 pm »
I think you were correct in placing it here. The only ancient glass tokens that I know of look entirely different. I would suspect that this was some other sort of bauble or decoration. See below for a glass token of Roman Egypt from my collection.

EGYPT, Uncertain
Glass Tessera   (17mm; 2.33 g)
Draped bust of Nike left
Head of Herakles right
Milne -; Dattari (Savio) 6555; Köln -

Offline Russ

• Consul
Re: Ancient Roman Gold and Glass token?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 10:28:28 pm »
Hi Ardatirion,

Thanks loads for your response.

Yours certainly looks similar even though it is nearly twice the size of mine. At less than 9 mm, mine could easily get lost or stuck in the lining or seam of a pouch. Perhaps, it was meant to be used in jewelry or as a souvenir... just an ancient oddity.

Russ

All coins are guaranteed for eternity