Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tjaart - Round 14 before and after  (Read 3369 times)

Offline tjaart

• Consul
Tjaart - Round 14 before and after
« on: January 01, 2012, 01:52:17 pm »
Hi all,

I am a newbie to collecting ancient coins and after buying some uncleaned Roman coins on a whim a few months ago, I am hooked. I have learned quite a lot so far from the discussions here and hope to learn a lot more! I decided the best way for me learn about all the aspects is to go through the process of cleaning and learning how attribute a coin. So I decided to enter the contest. Here are the coins as they arrived.

I am looking forward to seeing what emerges form underneath the dirt, especially from coin 2 and 3.

Looking forwards to learning at lot more about this interesting hobby!

Tjaart

Offline Bdsn

• Praetorian
Re: Tjaart - before
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 03:22:05 pm »
2 and 3 look awesome.  I keep hoping a campgate coin will find me, no luck yet.  Grats and have fun  ;D

Justin

Offline tjaart

• Consul
Re: Tjaart - before
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 07:59:54 am »
Here are my results. It was quite interesting learning the cleaning methods and trying to ID the coins.

1. Seems like a Ptolemy with a eagle on the reverse. 7.0g, 21mm.
2. Carinus A K MA KA PINOC CEB, laureate draped and cuirassed bust right. Eagle standing left, head right with wreath in its beak. LEG B TPAI. LG is right field. Emmett 4004. 6.4g, 19mm.
3. Constantine the Great. Diademed (band) draped and cuirassed bust right. CONSTANTINVS MAX AVG. City gate with 2 turrets, 6-7 rows. PROVIDENTIAE AVGG. SMKS (Cyzicus mint). 2.3g, 19mm
4. 1.7g, 16mm. Soldier? facing left left dragging/holding captive.
5. 0.7g, 16mm. Two soldiers with one standard.
6. 1.7g, 13mm. No luck in identifying or cleaning this coin any further...

I hope that after the round is finished, someone could help in identifying these further.

Thanks,
Tjaart

Offline Bdsn

• Praetorian
Re: Tjaart - Round 14 before and after
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 08:31:19 pm »
Oh man, you had a tough group afterall.  Number 2 is a beaut though.  Grats on finishing, was wondering when someone else was going to join me in the staging area.  Now we can whisper about how much faster we are than all the slowpokes.  Heh heh, just kidding - take your time all.  It is about the journey, not the destination. 

Justin

Offline tjaart

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 04:36:46 am »
Yes, I was really happy with 2. It has sparked a new interest in Egyptian tetradrachms for me. For 1 I tried everything I could but it just kept on revealing more and more corrosion. 4-6 was a real struggle. I realised quite early on that the more I fiddle with it, the more patina (and detail) I lose. So I decided to stop. I might try and identify 5 but 4 and 6 seems to be a lost cause and 1 will be almost impossible.

But it was great fun!

Tjaart

Offline William R2

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 06:01:42 pm »
Number two is a beauty.  Nice detail on the eagle and nicely cleaned.  I know what you mean about digging too deep, I am just learning that if you can't see something at a certain level of cleaning, then more cleaning isn't likely to reveal anything.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity