Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Storage of Coins in Plastic "Gladware" Container?  (Read 1232 times)

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
Storage of Coins in Plastic "Gladware" Container?
« on: July 08, 2010, 06:54:35 pm »
I know it is always talked about to only use PVC free flips, certain wood cabinets, etc.  But, can it hurt to store coins in plastic food containers, like a Gladware container that has been lined with felt?

It may sound like a stupid question, but it is legitimate.  I am currently just placing my coins in a plastic stationary organizer that I have put felt in.  Is there PVC in this?  Will it hurt the coins over time by just leaving them in there on the felt? 

Thanks.

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
Re: Storage of Coins in Plastic "Gladware" Container?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 08:46:24 pm »
After posting this I learned a lot about recycling numbers!  The box I have them in is recycle number 5 and has PP below it.  Doing some research, this stands for polypropylene and is safe for coins from what I could find.

It is also a good tub to store food in.  It is a safe alternative to the nasty PVC to store coins in.  If anyone has info that differs let me know!

I really want a cabinet, but can't afford one...  :-\

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 10:07:53 pm »
That's what I use for most of mine as well. Just to be safe I usually keep a couple of bags of silica gel in with them as St. Louis is one humid place and I am not fully trusting the "air tight seal" of the cheapie tupperware!  :)

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 10:59:08 pm »
Aye, some of the tests we use at the crime lab I work at have miniaure silica packs in them. I just save a whole bunch of them and have them tossed in there.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity