Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Suggestions on where to begin collecting based on my interests?  (Read 5167 times)

Monolith

Suggestions on where to begin collecting based on my interests?
« on: December 30, 2008, 01:05:04 am »
Hi!

I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to numismatics and collecting in general.  The extent of my experience with ancient coins goes as far as buying some random lots on ebay and leaving them in olive oil for a few years... lol.

I'd really like to start getting more serious about the hobby, though, and try to collect a few authentic pieces representative of my personal interests.  I'm mostly interested in Greek history from the "prehistoric" era through to the pre-hellenistic era, so around 2000 BCE to 325 BCE.  I have a general fondness for anything earlier than the 10th century BCE (not just western), and early roman republic through the early-mid imperial period is another interest.  Anything from the period 400 CE to 800 CE which can be closely associated with Rome (or the church) would be yet another snippet I enjoy.

Also, my interest in collecting is purely emotional.  I'm not looking at this as an investment -- I'm the type of person who likes to imagine the story an object can tell, to feel the weight of it in my hand, and to admire it as someone many generations prior may have done.  So, with regards to the "patina" debate that I've noticed brewing, I think I'd be just as happy with a properly cleaned coin which is lacking a patina (assuming the loss of the patina didn't also erode any detail) as I would be with a coin with a patina.  Also, as long as the coin is still identifiable, I'm not very picky about the amount of wear or detail it has.  Even something bordering on a slug would be of interest, especially since these are pieces that I'll probably be handling fairly regularly.

My budget is flexible.  If possible, though, I'd like to begin with pieces under $100 USD just so that I can get my bearings and become a bit more knowledgeable about collecting before I jump in head first.  Uncleaned coins would be a lot of fun for me, but it appears that most of the lots for sale are from the late imperial/byzantine era.

Finally, are there any "live" resources available in western MA?  i.e. reputable coin/artifact dealers, other forumancientcoins.com members, shows, etc?  I'd love the chance to chat with some established collectors in person!

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Suggestions on where to begin collecting based on my interests?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 01:33:03 am »
Excellent!  Wherever you start, you are, in my opinion, doing it just right.
Why not begin by browsing in the Forvm catalogue and also in [commercial reference removed by admin] just to see what the range of coins in two and three figure prices looks like? And of course you can share all our stuff right here on the Discussions Board.
Pat L.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 06:15:36 pm »
Just follow your preferences, which will probably change with time. I made a half-hearted attampt at an emperor collection, then went for the Gallic Empire because my wife was on at me about the length of my beard, and Postumus was an affordable emperor with an impressive one! Later I turned to Judea and the Levant because of an interest in Biblical Studies.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 06:58:49 pm »
take a peek at the discussion thread <Buying Selling> then down to <Forum Catalogue> then on to <Themes Coming Soon>: lots of good (and a few not so good) ideas there.
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 07:59:31 pm »
Re: PM sent, I asked your age because to someone who is still on a parental allowance we will answer differently than to someone old enough to control his own money.  Also, at 25 you have all the time in the world to change as you learn, as Robert Brenchley describes.  As for where you are, the significance is whether adequate libraries are within easy reach.  The only thing I'd add is that French and German and such ancient languages as your eventual specializations recommend are powerful tools.  In fact, almost necessary.  So take stock of them and consider always to be learning one.  You needn't answer this, of course; it is just very good advice.  Pat L.

Maffeo

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 08:17:17 pm »
Hi, my numismatic interests reflect my interests in historical periods, and I can't conceive of the former independently of the latter.
Basically I collect by books - and I don't mean catalogues/numismatic monographs, even though these are indispensable as your collecting advances. Here are a few examples of what I mean: reading Lactantius made me interested in the coinage of the Tetrarchy, and reading Ammianus Marcellinus made me interested in later Roman coinage, from Julian the Apostate through to Jovian, Valentinian, Gratian, Valens...
I think that when one's numismatic interets are derived from and reflect one's interests in history the coins really come alive...

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 10:12:43 pm »

(...)  Anything from the period 400 CE to 800 CE which can be closely associated with Rome (or the church) would be yet another snippet I enjoy.

(...)  Uncleaned coins would be a lot of fun for me, but it appears that most of the lots for sale are from the late imperial/byzantine era.

Tons of late period Roman and Byzantine "Christian" themed coins can be found in uncleaned lots...as long as you get quality lots from reputable dealers (such as the catalog here ;) ) you can fill up a collection of chi-rho's pretty quickly! I was taken early on with the byzantine artistry when it came to Christ based coins. I especially liked the "cup" coins with all the saints and the Virgin and Christ represented so beautifully.

My "collection focus" has ranged from lrbc's (late roman bronze coinage) to black sea greeks to byzantine and everything in between. In the last year and a half I have sort of evened out and have stuck to Severan era coinage (193-235 AD). I am currently obsessing on Parthian and Sassanid coinage of the same era (Severan enemies ;) see how I can keep it in theme! lol)...next year I could be into Nezak Hun coinage! lol What Pat has suggested (just going to the catalog and browsing...you can get lost for hours!) would be perfect. There are tons of very nice coins for under 100 in pretty much all catagories, so whatever area/era strikes your fancy you will be able to collect responsibly (i.e. without breaking the bank!).

As for collecting for emotion and beauty over investment, I am with you! For that matter, with new finds popping up with fair regularity any more, the rare of today is the common of tomorrow! I say get them because you love them!  ;D

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Monolith

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 02:23:09 pm »
Re: PM sent, I asked your age because to someone who is still on a parental allowance we will answer differently than to someone old enough to control his own money.  Also, at 25 you have all the time in the world to change as you learn, as Robert Brenchley describes.  As for where you are, the significance is whether adequate libraries are within easy reach.  The only thing I'd add is that French and German and such ancient languages as your eventual specializations recommend are powerful tools.  In fact, almost necessary.  So take stock of them and consider always to be learning one.  You needn't answer this, of course; it is just very good advice.  Pat L.

Yeah, no worries.  You got my email, I presume?  I tried to reply directly to your PM but I don't have enough posts yet for my PM system to be activated.  So I wasn't ignoring you, if that's what you might have thought!  As far as adequate libraries... do you mean just general libraries, or ones that focus on ancient coins/history?  I'm close to Amherst, MA and have access to the libraries and databases of the UMass and "five college" schools.   http:/www.library.umass.edu

As far as languages go... I took four years of latin in highschool and barely remember the difference between "i.e." and "e.g." ;)  I'm certainly not averse to hitting the books again, I just don't have a very good head for new languages.  I've always wanted to learn German, too.  German always struck me as being rather "manly"... like the arnold schwarzenegger of languages. :D

Monolith

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 02:26:00 pm »
Hi, my numismatic interests reflect my interests in historical periods, and I can't conceive of the former independently of the latter.
Basically I collect by books - and I don't mean catalogues/numismatic monographs, even though these are indispensable as your collecting advances. Here are a few examples of what I mean: reading Lactantius made me interested in the coinage of the Tetrarchy, and reading Ammianus Marcellinus made me interested in later Roman coinage, from Julian the Apostate through to Jovian, Valentinian, Gratian, Valens...
I think that when one's numismatic interets are derived from and reflect one's interests in history the coins really come alive...

That's exactly how I seem to be going about it!  I was going to try to explain that in my first post, but wasn't sure I'd be able to do it in a way that made sense... :p

Anything old is interesting to look at, but it's nothing compared to knowing about the times, circumstances, and events that took place during its "life."

Monolith

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 02:50:45 pm »

Tons of late period Roman and Byzantine "Christian" themed coins can be found in uncleaned lots...as long as you get quality lots from reputable dealers (such as the catalog here ;) ) you can fill up a collection of chi-rho's pretty quickly! I was taken early on with the byzantine artistry when it came to Christ based coins. I especially liked the "cup" coins with all the saints and the Virgin and Christ represented so beautifully.

My "collection focus" has ranged from lrbc's (late roman bronze coinage) to black sea greeks to byzantine and everything in between. In the last year and a half I have sort of evened out and have stuck to Severan era coinage (193-235 AD). I am currently obsessing on Parthian and Sassanid coinage of the same era (Severan enemies ;) see how I can keep it in theme! lol)...next year I could be into Nezak Hun coinage! lol What Pat has suggested (just going to the catalog and browsing...you can get lost for hours!) would be perfect. There are tons of very nice coins for under 100 in pretty much all catagories, so whatever area/era strikes your fancy you will be able to collect responsibly (i.e. without breaking the bank!).

As for collecting for emotion and beauty over investment, I am with you! For that matter, with new finds popping up with fair regularity any more, the rare of today is the common of tomorrow! I say get them because you love them!  ;D

Chris

Is there a reason most uncleaned coins for sale are from the late roman/byzantine era?  Is it simply that coins from this period were produced in greater abundance than earlier coins, or something else?

And yeah... the store catalog here is ridiculous... I spent pretty much all day last saturday salivating over the contents. :p

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 05:31:04 pm »
Yes, I got your e-mail, and thank you.  Four years of Latin is great; you will understand immediately how Greek and German work (that leaves only the words, but cognates do help; only, you will miss the ablative case, that wonderful case that does all things adverbial).
It is as I hoped: you are among the Five, and Amherst will be great.  I meant libraries that take coinage seriously and even have the periodicals in other languages.
Pat L.

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 08:21:48 pm »

[/quote]

Is there a reason most uncleaned coins for sale are from the late roman/byzantine era?  Is it simply that coins from this period were produced in greater abundance than earlier coins, or something else?

And yeah... the store catalog here is ridiculous... I spent pretty much all day last saturday salivating over the contents. :p
[/quote]

Well, quantity is a big factor, but also the quality of the coins.  If all the late roman bronzes were in EF condition, then the prices would be much more elevated.  Poor condition lots can be had for "pennies," while nicer quality lots can still be acquired for reasonable prices.  The cleaning is the fun part.  Some of these coins are unidentifiable, many more are decent quality and can be attributed, and now and again you can get a great find.  The cheaper lots should be used for practice cleaning if you are not accustomed to it.  Once you get the hang of it, then move onto "higher end" uncleaneds.  I began this way, but soon decided to go the "one of every emperor" route.  I look for great portraits, not rarities or specific types.  It is entirely possible that I will change my focus.  It might be fun to pick an angle that nobody else has.  This could make you a greater "expert" in your focus area than the average collector. 

Best, Noah

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 09:58:25 am »
Perhaps you can collect coins from a historical period that interests you?

I came to coins via my love of Roman history. The Flavian era (The Jewish Revolt, Masada, eruption of Vesuvius, opening of the Colosseum) has always been a favorite of mine and it is quite thrilling for me to be able to collect coins issued by the reigning emperors of the period.

Welcome and good luck!

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 03:28:02 am »
You're about to get into some serious fun :)

If your interest is the earliest coins then Greek coins are what you will want to collect.  I don't know if others made this suggestion but you might want to pick up a $20 book called Ancient Coin Collecting by Wayne Sales.  There are other key books by Kraay and Jenkins but they cost more.  Books might help you develop a picture of what you can collect that would fit your interests.  Your local library probably has some books that will be helpful so you don't have to buy them until after you've given them a read.  Coins didn't really appear until 700-600BC and of course Roman coins don't enter the picture until several centuries later.  There are *lots * of interesting Greek coins from 500BC onward that you'll find fascinating and beautiful, and many will be affordable, too.

Books will be your indispensable helpers as you start and continue to collect ancient coins.

PtolemAE

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 07:14:07 am »
You have received a lot of good advice and much of it I even agree might help but I place a few things in a different order.  The first problem I see is your prime interest period is largely before coins were 'invented'.  Yes, you can collect Greek coins of places mentioned in the Iliad but you can not own a coin that helped launch one of those thousand ships.  Coin collectors like me have a nasty tendancy of studying civilizations that issued coins and ignoring those that did not.  This may not be good from an overall educational standpoint but it is more fun.

If, and only if, you are being honest when you say you are not collecting for investment, I recommend collecting 'my way'.  Never buy a coin you don't want.  Never buy a coin you don't understand to a point that you can explain why you wantd it.  That mostly means ignoring people like me who tell you what we think you should collect.   Never sell a coin you have bought unless it was part of a package deal you had to buy to get what you wanted.  I once bought a lot of 35 denarii because it included one coin I wanted.  I kept a few others from the bunch but resold most I considered boring (for a loss in terms of per coin price).   Spend only money that other people you know spend on their hobbies like eating in restaurants or taking vacations.  If you worry at all about what you spent on coins, the hobby will be different than if it is all considered money gone.  I once violated this rule and still mourn the departure of a couple hundred coins I liquidated unwisely.   There are some coin dealers that are really fine scholars and have a genuine interest in coins that is better served by touching momentarily thousands of coins but retaining next to none.  I don't work that way.  If you want my favorite coins, plan on buying them from my grandson.

A wise guy once coined the phrase, "Collect coins you like at prices you can afford."  Until your collection passes the 100 coin mark, this should include no structure at all.  After that, you might start to see a pattern and figure out what coins might fit your style.  I believe all collections should include speciality sections (like mine on Eastern Septimius Severus and coins of technical interest) but there should also be sections showing a more broad general interest.  My recent purchases have been in areas that I avoided not all that long ago partly because I believed I was not interested in later periods and partly because I was not aware some things even existed.  Don't specialize too strictly or too early in the game. 

Buying books is good; reading them is better.  Reading online is cheaper.  While it is true that there is horrific misinformation available online, there are some pretty terrible books out there, too.  A good place to start is the list of links at the bottom of
http://ancients.info/
Disclaimer:  One of those links takes you to my site which I never claimed to be great scholarship.  It took me many years of collecting to develop the opinions expressed there.  One advantage of the online approach is thing written by amateurs like me can address questions likely to be in your head more directly than books written by committees living in fear of peer review.  If one of us makes a fool of himself online, we have the option of correcting it with a few keystrokes.  Once the ink is on the paper, book authors will be held accountable for their errors until the pages turn to dust. 

I stopped updating my site nearly 5 years ago but keep telling myself I should get back into it.  If you want to see my pages feel free to visit:
http://dougsmith.ancients.info/

Enjoy the hobby.  If it starts being something other than fun, ask yourself where you went wrong or become an investor.   

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 09:06:34 am »
The unvaluable site of Doug Smith has helped me in starting my hobby and has accompanied me over the years. Thanks for that!

Best regards

Offline Stkp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 02:12:17 pm »
It is hard to disagree with such a well-written post by Doug Smith (who I ardently wish would continue to update his website – if enough of us say this publicly, perhaps he will . . . ).

To throw in my own “two cents,” where we start is not necessarily where we end up.  When beginning a collection, one should allow oneself the freedom to meander:  make inexpensive purchases of interesting coins without regard to how well they “fit” into a cohesive collection, and you will find over time that you naturally gravitate toward one area of collecting or another.  When I revived an interest in collecting around 6 years ago (switching from a predominantly American coin collection to anything but), I thought that I would focus on ancient Greek and Roman coinage, yet I found myself gravitating toward medieval coins of a particular country (and if you have noticed my gallery, within that area of focus there are a few areas of concentrated attention within that country's coinage).

This is not to say that I have given up on meandering;  I still collect a bit of this and a bit of that here and there, and the only thing that constrains me from delving into some other areas more wholeheartedly is the budget (or more accurately, my wife’s oversight of MY budget). 

Enjoy!

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 03:00:39 pm »
Like Jochen and numerous others, I began with Doug Smith's site.  I stumbled across it and immediately wrote to him when I saw he had an Apollo Sauroktonos different from the Munich one of Septimius in so many art history textbooks: his wonderful little Geta.  I learned untold volumes off his site (sometimes arguing art historical principles, so forming an e-friendship and several other friendships, eventually one who led me to Forvm).  I still can learn from his pages, and trying to equal his photos is hopeless.
Now that images at so much higher resolution can be posted in so much larger web sites, I, too, hope that he will find time to expand the site and update the pictures.
Pat L.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 05:25:32 pm »
I also read every word of Doug's site when I was starting, much of it several times, and I wish it was still being updated!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Reid Goldsborough

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Coins
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 01:46:15 pm »
Never sell a coin you have bought unless it was part of a package deal you had to buy to get what you wanted.

I don't know if you meant it this way, Doug, but this one sentence of yours, read literally, is a really interesting commentary about the core of the collecting impulse.

There are collectors who simply will not part with a coin they bought. Period.

One of the interesting aspects to numismatics for me is trying to arrange trades with fellow collectors. In the ideal situation, and this happens maybe half the time, at least with me, the trade offer is accepted, both parties bend over backward to make the other happy, and it's entirely win-win. Warm and fuzzy all the way.

Other times the other party treats the trade situation as a negotiating opportunity, trying to get as much in return as possible. One guy had a type and variety of a coin on my want list, a dupe for him, and I suggested a trade for a coin I had that was a dupe for me. We were both open, and it turned out we both bought our coins from name dealers/auctioneers at the exact same price. But he didn't want to do a straight trade, and he turned down everything else I offered in addition to my coin. Then some time afterward he had the gall to ask me to send him my coin so he could photograph it for some kind of photo gallery he was creating.

Still other times collectors just don't want to part with coins. Recently another collector told me he had decided to change the focus of his collecting by acquiring only coins of one theme, his central area of specialization. Yet he refused to consider parting with a coin of his not in this theme area, a coin in an area of specialization of mine, a coin I could really put to good use, for a coin or coins of mine that were in his theme area that he didn't have.

I understand completely the "I want, I want" urge. And there are coins of mine that I will simply not part with. In one case a fellow collector wanted a Cherronesos hemidrachm of mine, the nicest I've ever seen, a piece I have illustrated at the top of my page on these. He really, really wanted it and expressed this over the course of several emails. But the bottom line for me was that I really, really wanted to keep it, and all I was able to do was try to empathize with his desire. Same happened with another collector with a classical Owl of mine that had been test cut a whopping six times in a very visually interesting way. He really, really wanted it. I really, really wanted to keep it. All I could say in the end was that I admired his taste.

But there is something to the maxim about some offers being too good to turn down. I was contacted once about a high-end coin I have illustrated at my site. The company, not in the coin business, wanted to use it as their logo. We worked out an arrangement in which I licensed them rights to reuse my photo. They also wanted to buy the coin itself. I said it wasn't for sale, that despite considering myself somewhat of a scholar, at heart I'm a collector, and I really love the coin. A year later they contacted me again, asking about trademarking their new logo based upon my coin and the photo I had licensed to them. They repeated their request to buy my coin. I entertained the possibility this time. Their first offer was for somewhat less than double what I paid. I told them this wouldn't work for me. They asked what would. I thought, What would be an offer that would make me feel irresponsible and stupid to not accept. So I gave them a figure that was about ten times what I paid. This wasn't out of greed. It simply reflected how much I wanted to keep the coin and what it would take for me to part with it. They said they would think about it. Three days later they called back and accepted my counteroffer. I parted with the coin very much with mixed emotions.

So, Doug, when you say, "Never sell [or part with] a coin you have bought unless it was part of a package deal you had to buy to get what you wanted," there's a lot more to this. <g>

And there's also the trade you and I did once, with my getting a totally beat-up but totally interesting test-cut classical Owl fourree that had maybe 99 percent of its silver plating worn and/or corroded off. I traded you in return an official classical Owl obol in decent enough shape. You did better off in terms of market value, but I was the one who initiated the trade, and I was and still am happy with it.
oldestcoins.reidgold.com
athenianowlcoins.reidgold.com
alexanderthegreatcoins.reidgold.com
medusacoins.reidgold.com
thracecoins.reidgold.com

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 08:45:33 pm »
Reid is correct.  I don't always follow my own advice.  I still prefer that obol to the core tet and am glad we both are happy.  My other major category of exception is when I have a coin that is relatively less meaningful to me that to a friend.  Lets just say you were one coin short of a complete set of something and I had the missing item but did not have any hope or intention of filling out the set.  Lets imagine you were writing a book on a very special specialty and I had the coin that defined the book but had you never been able to find.  Lets imagine I wanted to get on your good side and didn't know enough about a subject to appreciate why you were so anxious to have one of my coins.  I'll trade under all these circumstances.

My point was that I prefer to consider money spent on coins as money lost for all time.  Just like dinner at the Ritz (or the Arches) consumed last night, money spent is gone if you choose to collect this way.   I don't worry whether I will recover the $50 I sent to Paypal last week - I know I won't but at least it won't hurt my cholesterol number like the $50 I left at that Greasy Spoon.   Certainly I have some coins that I would not sell for ten times what I paid (and most people would not pay me more than a tenth of my cost for some of my most loved items).  Some of us want to be dealers (great life since you get to handle all those coins you can't afford to collect and get to live out of a suitcase in fear that someone will knock you over the head and take the other bag with your coins in it).   Others consider all our coins as short term investments and would sell anything we have for a profit.  Possibly some of us plan on taking them with us just in case there is a cash bar where we are going. 

I sold all but three of my coins back in the 70's because I could no longer afford to buy coins at the then current rates.  I got $500 (about half what I had paid) from a dealer (since deceased) and have never seen a single one of those coins (I have images or foil pressings of most).  I have regretted that move for 30 years now and still have not replaced the Decius double sestertius, Divus Pertinax denarius or half dozen other 'key' coins in that bunch.  I wonder what percentage of ancient coins are in dead end collections owned by people who don't plan to sell?  I wonder what happens to those coins left to relatives with no clue what to do with them.  I wonder what percentage of coins being offered for sale today have ever been in a collection (as opposed to dealer stocks and various levels of marketing? 

Dealers:  How many of you often buy collections of ancient coins?  I'm not talking about a few coins here and there but a group of coins gathered by someone over the course of a lifetime in collecting.  Is this a major source of coins for you or do most of your coins come from importers, wholesalers and other dealers?   I don't expect an answer but it might be nice to know just in case I want to dump my holdings.   We occasionally see larger sellers (CNG et al.) crediting sections of their catalogs to specific collectors but is this a big part of lesser sellers' business as well?  I've enjoyed this question for years and even have a page:
http://dougsmith.ancients.info/feac16.html

Offline Reid Goldsborough

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Coins
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2009, 10:17:25 pm »
My other major category of exception is when I have a coin that is relatively less meaningful to me that to a friend.  Lets just say you were one coin short of a complete set of something and I had the missing item but did not have any hope or intention of filling out the set.  Lets imagine you were writing a book on a very special specialty and I had the coin that defined the book but had you never been able to find.  Lets imagine I wanted to get on your good side and didn't know enough about a subject to appreciate why you were so anxious to have one of my coins.  I'll trade under all these circumstances.

Trading under any of these circumstances can be really fun. It's fun to make someone happy. Likewise, it's fun to be made happy. But it doesn't always work though the other way around, these scenarios you present.

I like to write articles and will likely write at least one book, perhaps three, on coins in subject areas I've specialized in, once I feel like I know enough, which may be never but probably not, hopefully not. Sometimes mentioning I'm doing an article or will in all likelihood write a book -- not a ploy but for real -- gets someone excited for me and helps pry loose a coin in a trade. Other times it doesn't work. I guess it goes back to what I said in my previous post, the "I want, I want" urge. Pretty strong.

I used to sell my dupes myself on eBay, then grew tired of this. After this I did more trading, but recently I've gotten a bit tired of this too. So now I'm exploring consigning coins to dealers and auction houses, less fuss, as my collecting interests evolve. Each of these ways of dispensing with coins is interesting in its way, and it's fun exploring them, same as with different ways of acquiring coins.
oldestcoins.reidgold.com
athenianowlcoins.reidgold.com
alexanderthegreatcoins.reidgold.com
medusacoins.reidgold.com
thracecoins.reidgold.com

Gao

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2009, 10:35:21 pm »
Finally, are there any "live" resources available in western MA?  i.e. reputable coin/artifact dealers, other forumancientcoins.com members, shows, etc?  I'd love the chance to chat with some established collectors in person!
Well I live in Westfield, but I'm not all that experienced in this hobby myself.  I'm not aware of anyone else around here who collects, nor of any dealers or shows that have significant numbers of ancient coins.  The only piece of advice I can offer about collecting around here is that you should remember that regular coin dealers occasionally have a few ancient things, so it never hurts to ask them.  I managed to get some decent antoniniani of Claudius Gothicus and Aurelian as well as an Indo-Scythian drachm for $5 each at the flea market in Holyoke by doing this (though I don't go running over there just yet, as none of the dealers there had gotten anything else ancient since last time I checked).

Offline JRoME

• Consul
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2009, 11:40:21 am »
This is an extremely useful and interesting thread.  I think it just saved me from going off half cocked in a direction I may have regretted later.  Great insights!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity