Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: need help w/ Constantine iovi conservatori smal bust type  (Read 619 times)

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
need help w/ Constantine iovi conservatori smal bust type
« on: March 19, 2008, 07:05:32 pm »
Having  another one of those days

here is a coin I attribute as follows 

Constantine I
AE 19 mm  2.8 grams  317-320  Follis
OBV  ::  IMP CONSTA-NTINVS AVG. Laureate and draped bust left holding mappa in right ,  glode and scepter in left hands
REV  ::  IOVI CONSER-ATORI AVGG, Jupiter standing right, leaning on spear,  holding glode in right hand,  Crescent  in left,  A in right fields
EX  ::  SMAL ( Alexandria)
RIC VII Alexandria 22
RIC rated R2
from uncleaned lot  01/2008

Can any one confirm  this attribution ?  the problem I 'm having is the bust....is it draped  , draped cuirassed , other   ???

thanks in advance

Offline Johnny

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: need help w/ Constantine iovi conservatori smal bust type
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 07:19:53 pm »
also,  would Jupiter standing like this  be considered  standing right  or facing head right?

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 08:09:09 pm »
Yes it is correct, although I have never been convinced by the description of this bust type in RIC, for me the scepter isn't held in his left hand, but is behind his back, unless I am unaware of some ancient artistic convention.  Unless it's an error and it is supposed to be bust type j3.  (as an aside, I so wish the authors of later RIC volumes would make sure that at least one example of each bust type is illustrated in the plates and references to where included in the pages that describe bust codes).

Jupiter stands left - not right, when describing the direction of busts or figures on coins it is always from our perspective.  Some would describe him as standing facing, head left, but Bruun goes for the simpler version, and such is the power of RIC that everyone tends to follow the description given in the standard reference.

Steve

Offline Johnny

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 08:35:26 pm »
Thanks Steve

I'm  going to have to check my other attributions .  I think I may have listed a few like I did this one( standing right / left)

thanks again

Offline Merinda

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 10:02:34 pm »
Yes it is correct, although I have never been convinced by the description of this bust type in RIC, for me the scepter isn't held in his left hand, but is behind his back

Without having checked the descriptions of the various bust types in RIC VII I am wondering whether the scepter could be in his left hand and is tucked under his armpit and sticking up so that appears to be behind his back?

Allan

All coins are guaranteed for eternity