Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Monnaies de l'Empire romain  (Read 749 times)

Offline rick fox

• Caesar
  • Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
Monnaies de l'Empire romain
« on: October 25, 2007, 10:16:06 pm »
Since the only emperor I collect (on purpose right now) is Tacitus, I finally picked up the releveant copies of Sylviane Estoit's book of coins in the BN de France.

I started on Vol XII (Vol 12.1 and 12.2) since these cover Tacitus, so I don't have a description of what things mean inside the book.  Most things I can figure out on my own.

Example:
1397  IMP CL TACITVS AVG  buste laure a droite, cuirasse et draped     4,95      1     RIC 10, BAST 11, Estiot 1992/2, 4a

1397 is the coin number
IMP CL TACITVS AVG - is obvious
buste laure a droite, cuirasse et draped  is  laurette, draped, cuirassed bust left
4,95 is the weight in grams
1   I do not know what this number means and want to

Does anyone know how to interpret the number?

Also the Aureus and Aureliani are listed but how do you know when you are in the Ants?

Iacta alea est  - 'The die has been cast' (Julius Caesar Jan 10, 49 BC Rubicon River, Italy)

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Monnaies de l'Empire romain
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 10:40:52 pm »
Rick,

Glad the book arrived. I assume it's met your expectations. The more you use it, the more you'll learn.

I'm at a show so can't look to see what the 1 means, but aureliani and antoniniani are the same, just different names for the same denomination. The former based on the changes made by Aurelian, the later changes made by Caracalla. In both cases though it refers to the radiate silvered bronze denomination. I'll check on Sunday about the 1, unless someone else replies in the meantime.

Barry Murphy

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 10:58:03 pm »
Rick,

The 1 is the die axis, 1 o'clock.
Curtis Clay

Offline rick fox

• Caesar
  • Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 10:46:08 am »
Thanks Curtis,

I figured it was the number of specimens the museum has.

droite is left correct?  What is right?
Iacta alea est  - 'The die has been cast' (Julius Caesar Jan 10, 49 BC Rubicon River, Italy)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 10:51:01 am »
Rick,

Droit is right, gauche is left. Google French-English dictionary for any needed translations.
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity