Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nicaea - Severus Alexander  (Read 1212 times)

Danegeld

Nicaea - Severus Alexander
« on: September 10, 2006, 03:27:39 pm »
Here is one I just finished cleaning.  Too bad the obverse isn't a good as the reverse.  Size, 21mm and 4.6gm.  It's also a little broadstruck but I'm sure the quality control was a little sketchy, LOL ;D
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/bigpic.cgi?img=coins/./ric/severus_alexander/_nicaea_AE20_RecGen_617.jpg&ruler=./ric/severus_alexander/i.html

Take Care
Ben

Offline Severus_Alexander

• IMPERATOR
  • Praetorian
  • Hail Hail Severus Alexander!!
Re: Nicaea - Severus Alexander
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 10:29:04 pm »
Ben,

Thank you for sharing the coin.  Did you a question about it?

Danegeld

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 08:03:06 am »
Ben,

Thank you for sharing the coin.  Did you a question about it?

Oh no, just posting a picture :)
Ben

peterpil19

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 10:23:38 am »
Hi Ben,

Your coin has been rather over cleaned. Make sure to have a look on the Uncleaned Coins board for info about how to clean coins without removing their patina.

Peter

Offline Blindado

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 07:29:58 pm »
Sometimes, revealed detail is worth the loss of patina.

Danegeld

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 07:46:44 pm »
Sometimes, revealed detail is worth the loss of patina.

I've gotta be honest, the obverse was totally unrecognizable and I had to apply a brass (hand held) brush to get some detail so I could attribute it.  The coin ain't worth much but neither is my collection of ancients ;D  I just have fun with them...

Ben

All coins are guaranteed for eternity