Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: How to tackle massive dirt?  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
How to tackle massive dirt?
« on: August 12, 2006, 11:06:20 pm »
Dear Friends

Below are 15 coconuts waiting to be cracked.
What would be the best approach? These coins are deeply encrusted. Almost stones. One even looks like it may hold 2 coins. They are really thick and heavy.

Best wishes,
Burak

jbaran

Re: How to tackle massive dirt?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 11:53:07 pm »
I personally would toss them in warm oil for a couple of weeks, then use a needle to see if I could get under any of the crud and get it to lift off.  If that didn't work, but the crud did seem to soften a bit, I'd toss them back in the oil.  If there was no change from the initial oil soak, I'd try distilled water for a couple of weeks.  These can be the most rewarding when you can get the crud to lift off in big chunks :)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 12:03:18 am »
Ave Burak!

I personally would toss them in warm oil for a couple of weeks, then use a needle to see if I could get under any of the crud and get it to lift off. If that didn't work, but the crud did seem to soften a bit, I'd toss them back in the oil. If there was no change from the initial oil soak, I'd try distilled water for a couple of weeks. These can be the most rewarding when you can get the crud to lift off in big chunks :)

Jbaran certainly knows his stuff, and I agree completely with the above. But...(well, anyone who knows me knew this was coming) my 1st thought on seeing your coins was the dreaded electrolysis as the final solution if Joe's above method fails to work...with just a few caviots before turning to the Dark Side.

1) Weigh each coin. "Crusty" coins such as yours, Burak, more often that not, are very under-weight as for the coin's size. If that is the case, the coin's metal has leeched away to where no amount of time and soaks (or electrolysis) will allow the coin to be cleaned. Rather, you'll only have a bit of "foamy" metal, with no detail, ever.

2) If the weight seems correct, follow Joe's method; at least for 2-3 months...or as long as you care. Again, use a needle, or a common dental pick to probe beneath the crust to ascertain if there is firm/sound metal. If the metal appears to be sound, you may want to continue Joe's method...or use electrolysis.

Just my thoughts,

Best, Kevin

"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

gavignano

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 11:21:03 pm »
Burak - I hope you are a man of infinite patience.....
I'd love to see the results. waht are the sizes? Several look really small - 10 to 12 mm?
Personally, whenever I got a crustie of a late bronze, as it said above, it turns out to be a mushy bunch of almost blank metal.
My best luck with crusties has been early to mid second century aes or dups - I have gotten attributable coins....
Hope all of the small ones them are Leos and Zenos, with lovely monograms!! Well centered too  ;D

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
  • This space intentionally left blank
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 12:48:58 pm »
Burak,

If you aren't up to the long and tedious task of cleaning those super crusties, you could sell 'em to me!  ;)

Kevin's advice is what i'd do as well. I actually found a Trajan Denarius under a crust like that, as unlikely as it sounds since silver isn't supposed to encrust like that.
SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 09:48:43 pm »
Ave!

I actually found a Trajan Denarius under a crust like that, as unlikely as it sounds since silver isn't supposed to encrust like that.

The first coin I ever zapped was a real rock. Five minutes later I was looking at a spectacular EF+ Maximinus Limes Denarius. Which, in the long run, was probably a bad thing. Had it turned out to be a slug, I probably would not be still zapping coins... ::)

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 10:15:20 pm »
Hi All

Thanks a lot for your help. Some of those are 25mm. One is even 30mm.
I dont think I have enough patience for those.
I never do with uncleaned coins. But I already know what I am going to do with them. I wont sell them but I cannot say this here in this section either.

Best wishes,
Burak

All coins are guaranteed for eternity