Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Male figure with cornucopiae?  (Read 2195 times)

Offline Ed Flinn

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Consul
    • Gallienus and more
Male figure with cornucopiae?
« on: August 11, 2005, 10:39:55 pm »
Æ26, Coela in Thrace, Gallienus, Cohen 1363var (AEL MV COEL)

IMP GALLIENVS, Laureate head right / AEL MV_NICI COEL, Male figure, head left, nude from the waist up, holding figurine left and cornucopiae right.

Any better identification of the reverse figure?  Off-hand, I don't know of a male figure, other than Genius, who carries a cornucopiae.

(SNG Copenhagen --, Lindgren II & III --, Sear GIC --)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Male figure with cornucopiae?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 11:01:05 pm »
Looks like Genius to me, Genius Pop. I suppose.  The hair style fits, too.  Is that a palladion on his hand?  Pat L.

Offline Ed Flinn

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Consul
    • Gallienus and more
Re: Male figure with cornucopiae?
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 06:07:20 am »
OK, that all makes sense.  Thanks!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity