Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Licinius's bald spot  (Read 942 times)

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Licinius's bald spot
« on: August 04, 2020, 01:44:51 am »
I bought the top left coin of Licinius a while back, at the time picking this specimen because of his only partially engraved hair - a lapse of attention on behalf of the celator, perhaps ...

On recently browsing online examples of the type, I noticed something familiar ... not always present, but none too rare either! Presenting Licinius's bald spot!

This seems to be a very brief depiction of Licinius on being appointed Augustus in 308. Most common here at Thessalonica, but seems to also be depicted on some dies at Siscia at the same time.

Ben

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Licinius's bald spot
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 11:18:08 am »
An interesting observation!
Curtis Clay

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 03:13:33 pm »
Weird!

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 03:25:05 pm »
No sign of baldness on this and several others I have.
Why?
PeteB

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 04:16:44 pm »
Being sold online currently and the bald spot is mentioned.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 09:00:24 pm »
Well spotted!

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 11:39:30 am »
Also, if this has gone unrecorded in the literature, I hope you'll consider providing a brief write-up for Koinon IV.  We'll start accepting manuscripts in November with a usual deadline of mid April.  Contact me for details.

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 12:25:57 pm »
I don't know why not on your coin, Pete, one can only speculate...

In any event from what I've seen this "bald spot" depiction seems to be limited to the first coins after Licinius became Augustus (after crisis meering at Carnuntum) c.308. These issue marks were relatively long lived, so RIC dates this initial issue at Thessalonica to 308-310.

I havn't done a comprehensive search, but from what I've seen this depiction is limited to Thessalonica and Siscia which were the only two mints controlled by Licinius at that early date. Licinius only took control of Heraclea (your coin) after Galerius's death a few years later, and Galerius himself doesn't seem to have used that unflattering portrait for Licinius!

This bald spot depiction is a bit unexpected, especially at a time when imperial coin portraits were tending to lose individuality (although this point is a bit overstated). It seems a bit of a rookie mistake by Licinius to propagate an unflattering portrait (bust?) of himself, and either he or someone at the mint soon decided to change it!

More questions than answers, really ... he can't have been the only emperor to suffer from male-pattern baldness ... was he really the first to propagate an honest representation of himself for the mints to copy, or perhaps he was unpopular and some (or all, initially?) celators decided to copy what they would normally have routinely "fixed"?

Ben

Offline SeptimusT

• Praetorian
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 03:27:09 pm »
Judging from his busts, Vespasian sported something of a combover to hide his bald spot. But it's less obvious on most coins.

Anyway, I tried to find busts of Licinius to compare and see if they showed any sign of baldness, but they are all in rough condition and not necessarily good likenesses. It would surely be helpful to have a wider corpus to compare to.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity