Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: I believe I found a Judean War Shekel - HELP!  (Read 584 times)

Offline Sam K

• Auxiliary
I believe I found a Judean War Shekel - HELP!
« on: October 07, 2019, 05:49:30 pm »
My grandfather has collected coins since his youth in the Middle East and left me his collection of mainly uncleared coins. I found this coin and I think it's a war shekel! Any advice - it's really dirty. Should I try to clean it?

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Re: I believe I found a Judean War Shekel - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 08:56:30 pm »
It seems cast. I do not think it is a real ancient coin.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline Sam K

• Auxiliary
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 02:40:55 am »
Interesting. I'm new to this so what are the tell tale signs you see when looking st this specific coin? Given it's so dirty. I'd love to learn more.

Also the dirt looks very old - are there old fakes?

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 07:16:07 am »
The soft, soapy look and lack of sharp definition between the letters and images and the field are very typical of modern casts.  The coin appears, also, to be lead or some similar lead-based alloy rather than silver.  The are modern fakes with dirt and patina added to appear old. 

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 08:37:53 am »
This most likely will not effect the final outcome but could you please provide clearer images of the obverse, reverse and edges ?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity