Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help with Cilicia, Kelenderis obol - Hybrid?  (Read 924 times)

Offline Finn235

• Praetorian
Help with Cilicia, Kelenderis obol - Hybrid?
« on: April 06, 2018, 04:54:43 pm »
From Leu Numismatik 3, unattributed in a job lot

Obv: Helmeted bust of Athena left
Rev: Goat kneeling right, head left, FE :Greek_Lambda: above (ought to be KE :Greek_Lambda:)

Forgot to write down measurements, but about 9mm x 0.68g

I can find the goat paired with a horse or Pegasus, and I can find Athena paired with Pegasus, but no Athena + goat. Could it be a hybrid? Ancient imitation? The botched K in the ethnic is also curious.

Thanks in advance for any insights!  +++

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Help with Cilicia, Kelenderis obol - Hybrid?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 02:03:30 am »
Here is an obol with a horse which has obviously the same reverse die: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3624845

So it seems to be some sort of hybrid  :-\.

Regards

Altamura

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 08:09:10 pm »
It is a kappa, it is just that instead of making a 'v' coming out of the 'K', they made a 'u'.  so it appears 'F'
I think that is a more likely scenario than them using a archaic "vau' or digamma.

Interesting coin, you check if any neighboring mints have such an image of Athena.  Might be a joint issue.

Offline Finn235

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 01:25:21 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

The Athena type is attributed to roughly the same time period, and given that the Athena side was very worn, it's perhaps possible that a new die broke, and an old one was uses in the interim until a replacement could be engraved? Doing a bit more research, Kelenderis was quite small - a single coty-fortress that offered amenities to travelling ships - so there was probably only one mint.

Athena types are a bit more scarce. This type seems a good match, but unfortunately I can't tell if the helmet decorations on mine match exactly:
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3174868

All coins are guaranteed for eternity