Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Marcus Aurelius dressed for war to celebrate peace  (Read 1179 times)

Offline timka

• Caesar
Marcus Aurelius dressed for war to celebrate peace
« on: March 12, 2017, 03:42:10 pm »
Hi!

This one is ironic in a way - Marcus Aurelius is dressed in a cuirasse to celebrate peace (PAX)  - probably this one is related to peace concluded with Parthians in 165, and it was minted along with contemporaneous PAX denarius by Lucius Verus, - when Lucius was already given the title Particus Maximus (PART MAX on ob), but Aurelius was still carrying the title ARMENIACVS, as on this denarius.

Apart of peace/war irony, this particular RIC 147 with cuirassed bust is interesting with its rarity  - RIC only cites Gnecchi's coin from 1914.....and no other specimen with cuirassed bust in further sources (Reka Devnia -  32 specimens of regular bare laur bust, BM none, nusmatics.org none, etc)

ob. M ANTONINVS AVG ARMENIACVS. laur cuirassed bust right
rev. PAX AVG TR P XX COS III Pax standing left

RIC 147

3,06 g - 18mm - 0'

Thanks much for your time,

Z.

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
Re: Marcus Aurelius dressed for war to celebrate peace
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 04:56:16 pm »
Nice find Z

best
Eric
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 05:08:50 am »
Eric, THANK YOU!!!

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 05:16:22 am »
....also, I found a contemporaneous denarius of Lucius Verus/PAX in British Museum. Have a look at the style of cuirasse - it's entirely identical to Marcus's cuirasse to little detail!  Most probably both Aurelius and Verus portraits were engraved by the same hand!

Btw, this very denarius of Lucius Verus is also very rare - I was able to track only this single specimen in BM - that is it!

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 06:42:58 am »
This one is ironic in a way - Marcus Aurelius is dressed in a cuirasse to celebrate peace (PAX)

It´s not iroinc. From the roman point of view, peace, especially peace in the mainland, was directly connected with military strength and military success.

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 09:51:25 am »
It´s not ironic. From the roman point of view, peace, especially peace in the mainland, was directly connected with military strength and military success.

I'm with you about the role of military strength in achieving peace from the roman point of view!. May be saying 'ironic' was a bit too much in this case... then the word 'strange' would be a bit more proper.   Still, cuirassed type of bust was not really employed in combination with PAX on coinage of Aurelius or Verus, even on bronzes.   Cuirassed bust was much more often on the coins when the war was in active phase, like earlier in Armenia and later during war affairs with Germans and Sarmatians, when only cuirassed bust was immediately included in the mix to support military propaganda.  So, this one where Pax was combined with cuirassed bust appeared to be sporadic, and that is what I was trying to point out with my limited English)

Shanxi, thank you for your note!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity