Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Baktria 4 coins  (Read 1250 times)

Scipio2016

Baktria 4 coins
« on: May 04, 2005, 04:21:04 pm »
Good afternoon!

Offer to sale following coins. Speak it's real.

I think that it is copies. Your opinion?

Thanks

Igor

(moderator note: these coins added to fakes gallery - LW)

Manzikert

Re: Baktria 4 coins
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 05:17:21 pm »
Hi,

I would say all definitely forgeries.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 08:13:38 pm »
I don't have my references with me, but I have to agree with Alan.  These are forgeries.  I don't think the third coin was ever made in copper or bronze.  It should be a silver coin if real.

Offline Federico M

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 07:07:05 am »
I don't think the third coin was ever made in copper or bronze.  It should be a silver coin if real.

This would suggest these (or at least that one) are "tourist reproductions"... in some countries (for instance in Egypt), you are offered almost completely fantasy coins (like a copper decadrachm of Syracuse!) similar to ancient desirable coins for a few dollars... In realy, you expect that they are fake, but you don't mind for a few dollars if it's the first time you see something like an ancient coin...
But selling the best specimens on the net as authentic is another matter...

Federico

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 06:07:50 pm »
Yes, I just checked my references and I am fairly certain they are fakes.

The first coin is suppose to be of Eucratides.  It shows a left facing bust.  It my references this seems to have come from only one mint, Merv, but your coin has the mint mark for Balkh.

The middle two are suppose to be of Pantaleon, but as far as I can tell he didn't issue this type of coin.  The type with Zues holding Nike came much latter and had legends in a circle instead of linear as on your coins.

The last one is suppose to be of Antimachos with the Balkh control mark of an N inside a circle.  The control mark is poorly done.

If real these coins should weigh around 16.96 grams.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity