Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman eagle lead plaque, 1st century AD?  (Read 8248 times)

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Roman eagle lead plaque, 1st century AD?
« on: May 24, 2012, 04:33:16 am »
What do you think of this?

Roman Lead Eagle Plaque: Circa 1st Century AD. A fantastic plaque with an eagle in the center of a circular presentation. It measures 33 x 33 mm; is intact; and has nice light brown patina.

Andreas Reich

Offline rover1.3

• Tribunus Plebis 2012 / Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Roman eagle lead plaque, 1st century AD?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 05:34:48 am »
Whatever it is, it looks modern. Clearly not ancient.

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 05:45:10 am »
I don't know what it is and agree with rover1.3 about it not being ancient. It looks 19th or early 20th century to me.

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 06:31:56 am »
Looks more American than Roman...

rick2

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 08:09:53 am »
the same object was posted on another numismatic forum and they got the same answer

american rather than roman

http://www.lamoneta.it/topic/91118-placca-romana-di-stile-americano/

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 08:19:43 am »
Maybe a 2nd WW artifact ???

Reminds me of the dealer that tried to sell a lead figurine of the Taz a few years ago, thinking that it was an ancient amulet depicting a Celtic god ;D

Maffeo

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 08:37:00 am »
Definitely American, look at the shape of the stars, and note also there are seven stars as in the first flag of the CSA.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 08:38:49 am »
Thanks for your opinions. The seller didn't want to believe me, maybe a few more opinions will help. The only thing missing from the plaque in my opinion is mom and apple pie.  ;D
Andreas Reich

4to2CentBCphilia

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 08:56:29 am »
Definitely American, look at the shape of the stars, and note also there are seven stars as in the first flag of the CSA.

I saw this when it was first listed and I immediately thought........American. The style of the eagle, the stars, the banner.........all of it looks like American iconography.

The only way this is Roman, is if someone used a time machine to travel back and bury an American artifact in a Roman site.

Some dealers are very lax on vetting their antiquities.

I guess my question to the dealer would be "on what basis do you claim this is 1st cent Roman?" ...........other than wishful thinking.

BR

Mark

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 09:09:06 am »
Ridiculous. I'd guess a completely modern belt buckle or fixture for clothing or bags, showing the American eagle with the banner with stars below. This is absolutely copied from the type of eagle shown  on American currency or other patriotic situations. As for those nice squared-off machined identical five-pointed stars in the banner (the banner is of course a completely modern concept), they are pretty much identical to those on modern coins, vintage 2012. I cannot imagine that someone at the vendor reckoned it to be ancient. I dropped the seller a note. I'm amazed they didn't trust Andreas' view on this. I guess they will eventually bow to the weight of laughter.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 09:43:22 am »
I can't disagree with anything you're all saying but my intention was to convince the seller, not ridicule him (which is why I din't name him). Maybe I wasn't that careful myself. Actually I thought of a belt buckle as well, even though it probably isn't one if it's really lead.
Andreas Reich

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 10:38:24 am »
I can't disagree with anything you're all saying but my intention was to convince the seller, not ridicule him (which is why I din't name him). Maybe I wasn't that careful myself. Actually I thought of a belt buckle as well, even though it probably isn't one if it's really lead.

You've been very sensitive and gentle with the seller's feelings, however as he has not withdrawn the badge based on a soft approach, I think a little laughter might now help.

I'm thinking more of a small badge like those little metal badges in a thousand varieties that are so popular at Olympics events, or perhaps a plaque to be affixed to something - luggage, a sports trophy, a soldier's kit? Given it's made of lead that might, to give the seller credit, date it to before lead was considered dangerous. Perhaps the LA Olympics - not 1984 but 1932.

4to2CentBCphilia

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 01:13:47 pm »

You've been very sensitive and gentle with the seller's feelings, however as he has not withdrawn the badge based on a soft approach, I think a little laughter might now help.

@ Andrew I concur. It shouldn't take many emails for this vendor to realize that the object is likely misidentified and should be pulled and researched better, at a minimum.

@areich You were careful, but the photo was instantly recognizable to me.  I was going to be oblique and simply reference H.G. Wells, but I thought the vendor had beeen given enough nudges to do the right thing........and hadn't......thus I was a bit more obvious.

:angel: :police: :evil:

BR

Mark

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 02:22:53 pm »
It's been taken care of. Should be down shortly.

Barry Murphy

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 02:26:06 pm »
This reminds me of the thread about that mystical button, also evidently needing a Tardis to determine its origin. I'm going to go out on a limb and bet that this is may be an old Eagle Scout badge. Modern Eagle Scout badge below:

Offline Barabus

• Consul
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 01:46:19 pm »
 Could we see a photo of the back of this badge? Maybe a Confederate piece!
Organized religion is the second oldest profession, and nowhere near as honest as the first.

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 02:14:48 pm »
Could we see a photo of the back of this badge? Maybe a Confederate piece!

There is a photo of the back in the first post. This item does not bear any resemblance to anything Confederate that I have seen-- the eagle is not right for the period.
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 04:22:58 pm »
Funny, I had the same thought when I saw it, clearly modern. Dealers need to remember that many eyes are looking at their offerings, and the chance for embarrassment is great. I mean, I'm far from any kind of an expert and that piece screamed "modern, probably American" as soon as I saw it.

Offline Viminacium

• Caesar
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 05:11:11 pm »
Stars,eagle.... definitely American. And 20th century(fox) :D

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2012, 06:55:57 pm »
Maybe now the seller is keeping it up out of spite?
Andreas Reich

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2012, 08:08:10 pm »
Odd, I was told it was coming down. If it's not down tonight voluntarily,  I'll make sure it comes off myself.

Barry

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2012, 05:50:51 pm »
I am not convinced by the seller's Roman figurine either, it looks more like a pipe tamper.

Alex.

4to2CentBCphilia

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2012, 08:02:44 am »
I am not convinced by the seller's Roman figurine either, it looks more like a pipe tamper.

Alex.

Based on what I STILL see listed, I am now comfortable to list this once in a lifetime opportunity.

I am selling this life size statue of Medusa playing a large lyre, unearthed in Kingston Jamaica. This is a museum quality specimen, and although I am not postive of its exact age, I am pretty sure it is real and old. 

All serious offers will be entertained. As a summer special, we are including one kilo of real Roman herbal incense (all buds, no stems.) Buy now......and you too will be "feelin irie mon"

BR

Mark

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2012, 09:29:32 am »
And what about his 4-5th cent. Roman "spaghetti spoon" ? An anachronism ???

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2012, 11:56:07 pm »

Alex.

Based on what I STILL see listed, I am now comfortable to list this once in a lifetime opportunity.

I am selling this life size statue of Medusa playing a large lyre, unearthed in Kingston Jamaica. This is a museum quality specimen, and although I am not postive of its exact age, I am pretty sure it is real and old. 

All serious offers will be entertained. As a summer special, we are including one kilo of real Roman herbal incense (all buds, no stems.) Buy now......and you too will be "feelin irie mon"

BR

Mark

Hmmmm, sure would look nice out in the garden. :afro:

Offline Viminacium

• Caesar
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2012, 04:47:01 am »

All coins are guaranteed for eternity