Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: BoT Antimachos I Tetradrachm – extremely interesting provenance identified!  (Read 3913 times)

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
I have always admired this, the most handsome of coins in the Best of Type Gallery  …..  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-67452

In my opinion, it is strange that it has never won BoT award, but then I surmise that there may never have been a challenger.

A few days ago I had the good fortune to find Osmund Bopearachchi’s paper Coin Production and Circulation in Central Asia and North-West India (Before and after Alexander’s Conquest) translated from French into English: Indologica Taurinensia, Official Organ of the International Association of Sanskrit Studies, Vol. 25, 1999-2000, pp. 15-121 recently posted on Academia.edu.

On reading this fascinating paper, which includes a description of the poorly recorded Kuliab Hoard I noted entry hoard entry #135 (image from the paper posted below) – exactly the same coin as that posted in the BoT gallery.

The Kuliab Hoard from which the coin derives was found in clandestine (1995/6) excavations on an ancient site in the vicinity of Kuliab, Tajikistan, 8-10 km from Qizil Mazar, in the valley of the Qizil Su, on the right bank of the Oxus. The inferred find site is located about 80 km northeast of the famed ancient site Ai Khanoum on the left bank of the Oxus, a key Greco-Bactrian foundation.

The hoard reputedly consisted of 800 coins of which 250 were described by Bopearachchi in his paper. The hoard, consisted dominantly of small denomination silver and contained coins from the time of Seleukos I down to the time of Eukratides I. Almost all the coins were of Bactrian origin. It appears to have been a savings hoard that was closed around 145 BC, probably co-incident with the invasion of nomadic peoples from the north.

The Kuliab Hoard represents one of the easternmost finds of Graeco-Bactrian coins, proof that Bactrian influence extended well into the western Himalayan Valleys of Tajikistan to the north northeast of Ai Khanoum.

Based on Bopearachchi the fully restored provenance of the coin is:
Freeman & Sear FPL 11, Spring/Summer 2006; ex- Muhammad Riaz Barber Coll.; ex- Peshawar bazaar (April 1996); ex-Kuliab Hoard (1996).

It seems that even in the BoT gallery there are secrets to be uncovered!  ;D
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
That is very interesting n.igma, thanks for this information. The owner of the coin in the BOT gallery is no longer a FORVM member and I would like to add this information and your updated provenance to it if that's all right with you.

Alex

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Great research and good eye!

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
A great coin, but with a ridiculous lighting angle. Strange.
PeteB

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
That is very interesting n.igma, thanks for this information. The owner of the coin in the BOT gallery is no longer a FORVM member and I would like to add this information and your updated provenance to it if that's all right with you.

Alex

Most certainly OK to do so.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
Thanks.  +++

All coins are guaranteed for eternity