Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unidentified Greek Coin,  (Read 1256 times)

Offline Arslan

• Consul
Unidentified Greek Coin,
« on: December 17, 2018, 07:51:07 pm »
I need help for this coin , thanks

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Unidentified Greek Coin,
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 08:24:31 pm »
Dear Arslan and Board,

This is a small denomination example (i.e. ~11–12mm) of the mysterious Dios Soteros (ΔΙΟΣ ΣΩΤΗΡΟΣ) bronzes.  Numismatic researchers are still trying to figure out where and why they were issued.  I have obtained several myself over the past few years (of both denominations) in the hope of unraveling the riddle.           

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan   

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 08:58:14 pm »
The obverse seems to be of Kushan style.
PeteB

Offline Arslan

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 04:17:52 am »
Thanks very much for the precious information.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 06:06:13 am »
This is a small denomination example (i.e. ~11–12mm) of the mysterious Dios Soteros (ΔΙΟΣ ΣΩΤΗΡΟΣ) bronzes.  Numismatic researchers are still trying to figure out where and why they were issued.

Possibly associated with this larger denomination from Akragas bearing the same legend ΔΙΟΣ ΣΩΤΗΡΟΣ, same legend convention and a similar eagle on fulmen reverse iconography ?

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=4435563
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline shanxi

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 06:18:27 am »
Possibly associated with this larger denomination from Akragas bearing the same legend ΔΙΟΣ ΣΩΤΗΡΟΣ, same legend convention and a similar eagle on fulmen reverse iconography ?

A combination of Zeus and Eagle (with different legend) is known from Akragas.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3070677

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 06:25:54 am »
A combination of Zeus and Eagle (with different legend) is known from Akragas.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3070677

Stylistically very close to obverse of the the mystery ΔΙΟΣ ΣΩΤΗΡΟΣ.

All aspects considered, it is suggestive of an association with the established ΔΙΟΣ ΣΩΤΗΡΟΣ issue of Akragas.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Mark Fox

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 12:42:29 pm »
Dear Pete, N.igma, Ralf, & Board,

If by association you mean where the coins were struck and/or issued, then that is highly doubtful, I am afraid.  Their find context, when vaguely discernible, has always been eastern Asia Minor (or possibly western Syria) in my experience, including the specimens I obtained a while ago in two group lots from probably Arslan. The countermarks that sometimes appear on the large denomination seem to confirm this.  At least that much seems fairly certain to me.  I have some ideas/theories I would like to test out eventually.    

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 01:37:45 pm »
Just a friendly reminder.... The thread title " unidentified Greek coin" spans 2500+ years, and size and weight if known are most helpful not only for identification, but for use in future studies...

Offline Arslan

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 04:17:36 pm »
It is 1.42gr, 14mm , sorry for lack of info

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 04:31:29 am »
Some years ago we had a discussion about this type in the German forum: http://www.numismatikforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=50269 , you can find there some more pictures of such coins.

The result of the discussion has been also that the coins are from somewhere in Asia Minor, perhaps issued by a temple like coins from Pergamon or Perge (where you also have a deity's name on the coins).

Regards

Altamura

All coins are guaranteed for eternity