Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Fascinating Commodus sestertius with ploughing oxen  (Read 1908 times)

Offline Charles S

• Consul
Fascinating Commodus sestertius with ploughing oxen
« on: October 16, 2014, 09:18:29 am »
I received this coin earlier this week.  Although it is scratched and the flan is too small causing large chunks of the legend to be off, I still find it very very special: Sestertius of Commodus (16,57g, Ø 30mm, 7h) minted AD 190, Rome.  
Obverse: M COMMOD ANT P FE-LIX AVG [BRIT P P], laureate head right
Reverse: COLLANCO[M PM TR P XV IMP VIII] (around), [C]OS VI / [S C] (in ex.), Commodus, veiled, as priest, ploughing right with two oxen.  RIC 560; Cohen 39(60fr.); BMC 643

The traditional explanation of the reverse legend COL L AN COM P M TR P XV IMP VIII COS VI S C can be found in the Dictionary of Roman Coins (NumisWiki).  The letters COL together with the depiction of the ritual ploughing of the furrow marking out a new foundation, refer to establishing a colony (COLonia).  COL is followed by the name of the colony in this case: LANCOM, where evidently COM stands for COMmodiana.  The critical part is formed by the three letters LAN.

The explanation in mentioned Dictionary is based on Eckhel (1796), reading the legend abbreviated COL.L.AN.COM, referring to the refounding of Rome under its new name: COLonia Lucia ANtoniniana COMmodiana.  Cohen follows this, as well as RIC and BM although they substitute ANtoniniana by ANnia.

Curtis Clay noted elsewhere on this Forum discussion board, that Chantraine in 1971, following a suggestion of Renier in 1872, proposed an alternative explanation expanding the legend COL·LAN·COM to COLonia LANuvina COMmodiana.  The coin no longer refers to the refounding of Rome but to that of Lanuvium, the place of birth of Commodus, elevating it from municipium to the rank of colony.

Remains the question why Eckhel, who himself noted that the praenomen of Lucia given to Rome was strange at a time when Commodus used that of Marcus, insisted expanding the legend as he did, unless he saw the legend actually abbreviated like that on a specimen.  Here, I did find a sestertius which, even though it has part of the legend off the flan, shows dots between parts of the legend: COL·L·AN...  The first dot can clearly be seen.  Perhaps the condition of this specimen is not good enough to ascertain that there is also a second dot after the second L but it appears to be so.  In any case, this specimen shows that a die existed with dots indicating how the abbreviations on the reverse should be read.  Suffice to find a picture of another surviving sestertius from that die...

Unfortunately, as far as I know, Eckhel's publication does not have any plates of the coins described.  Does anyone know where more sestertii of this type could be found ?  Are there more musea like the British Museum making their collection accessible to the general public ?
I attach photos kindly provided by the British Museum of the two sestertii in their collection.  Both appear, as far as I can see, to be from different reverse dies and without abbreviation dots in the reverse legend.
Charles Schotman

My gallery

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Fascinating Commodus sestertius with ploughing oxen
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 11:36:45 am »
Very interesting!
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Charles S

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 03:24:42 pm »
Thank you !

I attach another photo of part of the reverse wwhere I marked the legend.  This perhaps illustrates better what I was trying to say.
Charles Schotman

My gallery

Offline manpace

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 07:06:19 pm »
ACSearch has photos of three ox-driving Commodus Ases with "COLLAN"... reverses.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 07:49:29 pm »
This foundation scene on Commodus' coins was naturally interpreted as applying to Rome, since the ancient authors tell us that Commodus refounded Rome as his own colony. Eckhel was not the first to propose this interpretation: he attributes it to Patin and other earlier authors.

Now the ancient authors tell us that Commodus was born in Lanuvium, and that he was given the title "the Roman Hercules" for slaughtering beasts in the arena there. But as far as I know there is no literary or epigraphical evidence that Commodus made Lanuvium a colony. The only evidence for that fact is the present coin type, if in fact LAN stands for Lanuvium and not for two of Commodus' own names. So it took some thinking to come up with the new interpretation: dissatisfaction with Rome's supposedly being called Lucia at a time when Commodus himself was still using the praenomen Marcus; and the consideration that Commodus might well also have made Lanuvium a colony, since it was his birthplace, there was an imperial palace there, and Commodus was said to have fought in the arena there.
Curtis Clay

Offline Charles S

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 06:33:53 am »
ACSearch has photos of three ox-driving Commodus Ases with "COLLAN"... reverses.
Indeed, asses seem to be much less rare than sestertii of this type and can be found elsewhere as well (e.g. wildwinds).  Due to the long reverse legend and the smaller dies used for asses it is unlikely to find any with dots between the abbreviations, at least I have not seen any.  However, apparently there are sestertii with these dots and it would be really nice to find a picture one in good condition where the dots confirm the correct interpretation, most likely : COL·LAN·COM[...] with no dot after the second L. Does anyone have the Commodus volume of Banti (I Grandi Bronzi Imperiali) ?  It would be interesting to see if he illustrates any, other that the two at the British Museum, the only two I have seen beside my own specimen.
Charles Schotman

My gallery

Offline Charles S

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 11:58:48 am »
This foundation scene on Commodus' coins was naturally interpreted as applying to Rome, since the ancient authors tell us that Commodus refounded Rome as his own colony. Eckhel was not the first to propose this interpretation: he attributes it to Patin and other earlier authors.

Now the ancient authors tell us that Commodus was born in Lanuvium, and that he was given the title "the Roman Hercules" for slaughtering beasts in the arena there. But as far as I know there is no literary or epigraphical evidence that Commodus made Lanuvium a colony. The only evidence for that fact is the present coin type, if in fact LAN stands for Lanuvium and not for two of Commodus' own names. So it took some thinking to come up with the new interpretation: dissatisfaction with Rome's supposedly being called Lucia at a time when Commodus himself was still using the praenomen Marcus; and the consideration that Commodus might well also have made Lanuvium a colony, since it was his birthplace, there was an imperial palace there, and Commodus was said to have fought in the arena there.
It is interesting indeed to realize that the Lanuvium interpretation is a completely new idea since it is not mentioned anywhere in written history.  There is also no historical record of Rome being renamed with any other name than that of Commodus: Colonia Commodiana.  So the Lanuvium interpretation makes a lot of sense.   

In addition there is the problem with the year, AD 190.  There is the issue with plowing oxen which definitely refers to Rome (HERC ROM CONDITORI), but that was issued about two years later, after the devastating fire of AD 191, at the time that many other things were reorganized/renamed like the African grain fleet for which a coin was issued also in AD 192 (PROVIDENTIAE AVG). 

Now that it is clear that there was at least one reverse die for the COL.LAN.COM issue where dots were used between abbreviations, it would certainly be nice to find a sestertius in good enough condition to verify the Lanuvium interpretation.  If correct, you would expect to find a dot between COL and LAN and no dot between L and AN .  Unfortunately the legend of my specimen is too much off flan in that area to know for sure.
Charles Schotman

My gallery

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 01:54:00 pm »
Kaiser-Raiss, pl. 22.5,  illustrates a VF specimen of the sestertius, in the Vienna collection, but the punctuation is not clear in the photo. Maybe it's been slightly damaged by cleaning and smoothing on the coin itself.

It would be nice to find a VF specimen of the bronze medallion of this type. Unfortunately the one specimen known, in Oxford, is in poor condition: K-R pl. 22.2.
Curtis Clay

Offline antesignanvm

• Consul
  • I REALLY love this forum!
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 02:25:04 pm »
Also Ostia had the name changed in Commodiana under the reign of Commodus.
---In front of the insigna---

Offline Charles S

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 07:00:53 am »
Kaiser-Raiss, pl. 22.5,  illustrates a VF specimen of the sestertius, in the Vienna collection, but the punctuation is not clear in the photo. Maybe it's been slightly damaged by cleaning and smoothing on the coin itself.

It would be nice to find a VF specimen of the bronze medallion of this type. Unfortunately the one specimen known, in Oxford, is in poor condition: K-R pl. 22.2.
Could you please tell me what is K-R ? 
Charles Schotman

My gallery

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 07:13:05 am »

Could you please tell me what is K-R ? 

Die Stadtrömische Münzprägung wärend der Alleinherrschaft des Commodus - Maria Regina Kaiser-Raiss

Offline Charles S

• Consul
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 07:18:23 am »
OK, thank you David.
Charles Schotman

My gallery

Offline kc

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 09:50:28 am »
Here is a similar type that is known as sestertius and Medaillon:

Offline Charles S

• Consul
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 11:32:57 am »
Yes indeed, the top one was just auctioned a two weeks ago.  Those issues date from  AD 192 and refer to Rome.  There is no discussion about the meaning of the legend: HERCuli ROMae CONDITORI (to Hercules the founder of Rome).
Charles Schotman

My gallery

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 07:51:28 am »
Hi!

This thread happened in 2014... I just saw a coin in acsearch which turned up in 2015. It seems that 'L' is separated with dots from both sides on this coin, as for the question posed by Charles back in 2014.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=2660626

Also, have a look at the write ups for this coin by G&M - the reverse legend is given as COL L AN COM PM TR P XV IMP ... L was separated from AN in eyes of the one who described this coin for G&M.

Unfortunately, Im not registered on acsearch, so I cannot access a higher resolution image. I anyone of you is registered on acsearch, please kindly check out the image in full scale. Perhaps those dots are some irregularities on the surface.

Thanks,

Z. 

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2018, 08:09:07 am »
Hi "timka"

It is the best picture, I was interested in the coin but I did not win it...:(

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2018, 09:01:17 am »
Quote from: quadrans on June 01, 2018, 08:09:07 am
Hi "timka"

It is the best picture, I was interested in the coin but I did not win it...:(

Q.

Thanks much for posting this high-res picture! As matter of fact it is very tough to judge it anyway... it could be a dot, and it could be a surface bump equally. With this coin in hand it will be a bit easier, though Im not totally convinced it will help either. Anyway, it was a nice try.

Best

All coins are guaranteed for eternity