Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nike on globe Nikopolis  (Read 737 times)

Offline rennrad12020

• Caesar
Nike on globe Nikopolis
« on: September 30, 2009, 07:54:16 pm »
     I recently acquired a new specimen of the Nike on globe type reverse issued under A. Gallus at Nikopolis ad Istrum

I scanned all four of my Severan examples of this type from NadI side by side for comparison.  The Septimius Severus bottom left is my new one (#3).  Here are my notes for all four. Three different reverse dies: #1,#2; #3 +#4 (same)

1. AE 27 12.14gr. Caracalla Gallus Nikopolis ad Istrum

Ob: AV K∙ M∙] AVP∙ / ANTΩNE (ligature) I [NO / C]
Laureate Head right
Rev: VΠ AVP∙ ΓAΛΛOV. / NIKOΠOΛ ( last 3 faint)[ITΩN] ΠPOC I.
Nike on globe left with wreath in right and palm in left (palm obscured on this specimen)

AMNG I/1 1543; Varbanov 3074; Moushmov 1080

This obverse die, with this characteristic ligature is also present in AMNG 1543 (Nike on globe), 1553 (River god), 1557 (Tyche), 1562( Eagle) in addition to my 1540* (Artemis) and 1551 (Herakles).  Pick pp.405

The distinctive characteristic of this die is that the legend on the reverse is not divided by the globe.  Nike and globe are completely inside legend 360´.

2.  AE 26 11.9gr. Septimius Severus Gallus Nikopolis ad Istrum

Ob:  AV K∙ Λ∙ CEΠ∙ / CEVHPOC∙  Π
Laureate head right
Rev:  VΠ AVP∙ ΓAΛΛOV / NIKOΠOΛI. ΠPOC IC
Nike standing on globe head left with wreath in right and palm in left hand (obscured on this specimen).

AMNG -; Varbanov (E) cf. 3037(has ultimate tau)

3.  AE 25 9.20gr. Septimius Severus Gallus Nikopolis ad Istrum

Ob:  [AV K∙ Λ∙] CEΠ∙ / CEVHPOC∙  Π
Laureate head right
Rev:  [VΠ AVP∙ ΓAΛ]ΛOV / NIKOΠOΛI. ΠPOC I[C
Nike standing on globe head left with wreath in right and palm in left hand (obscured on this specimen).

AMNG -; Varbanov (E) cf. 3037(has ultimate tau)

From Belgium. Same seller as Apollo Sauroktonos
reverse die match to my Caracalla  (not the NE ligature obv die); “angry” Sept Sev obv die. Nice dark-green patina

4.  AE27 Caracalla Gallus Nikopolis ad Istrum

Ob: AV K M∙ AVP∙ / ANTΩNEINOC
Laureate head right
Rev:  VΠ AVP ΓAΛΛOV / NIKOΠOΛI ΠPOC I (as in the Sept. Sev. Specimen globe breaks reverse legend at 6 o’clock) Nike on globe left

AMNG -; Varbanov cf. 3037 reverse (minus ultimate Tau) obv. different

Very attractive specimen, slightly off-center on reverse. Nice green patina, obv with a couple of red spots; ex: CBG,
Reverse die is a match with the Sept. Sev

When I first saw this coin I thought it was a double match for #2 so I thought I would buy it for better detail of Nike, and live with the weaker legend.  But when it came and I really studied it, I realized it was a reverse match for my #4.  It is interesting to note that not one of these three different dies has ΠPOC I or equivalent in exergue.

Also attached is a rescan of my AMNG 1543 it didn’t share the lime light well in the group scan and the new die match Sept Sev from Belgium.

I would be interested in seeing other Balkan examples of this reverse type, Severan or otherwise, if anyone wants to share.

John Wrenn

Offline rennrad12020

• Caesar
Re: Nike on globe Nikopolis
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 08:05:35 pm »
A nice example of AMNG 1543 for comparison

All coins are guaranteed for eternity