Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Meaning of Phrase  (Read 1141 times)

Offline wandigeaux (1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Meaning of Phrase
« on: April 11, 2008, 07:12:17 pm »
I have been puzzled by the exact meaning/translation of  the phrase CEBACTHNWN TPOKMWN
(later abbreviated as CE TPO) on the coins of Tavium, i.e., the what of the
Trocmi?  It seems to appear much more frequently than the city ethnic in the usual form.  I have one of the city coins (or tribal), which I will illustrate with a coin from coinarchives, as my scanner is a piece of crud, although my example is a much, much better strike
(retrograde CEBACTHNWN/TROKMWN.  The  bull seems to be appropriate given the possible origin of the Trocmi in the region of Trier (on the authority of St. Jerome, no less).  Also one of of mine of Caracalla showing the usual reverse formula CE TPO TAOUIANWN.  Any thoughts?  I guess what I am asking is what is the meaning behind the use of CEBACTHNWN?  This formula was also used at Ancyra (CEBACTHNWN TEKTOCAGWN) and Pessinus (CEBA TOLISTOBO).  Thanks, George Spradling
Hwaet!
"The pump don't work 'cuz the Vandals took the handle" - St. Augustine
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!
(1940 - 2010)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Meaning of Phrase
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 07:19:25 pm »

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 07:23:43 pm »
Thanks, but I've read all of the above; none answer my question though, which just amounts to what is the meaning of the word.  The use of the plural is also confusing to me.  These Celtic tribes in Galatia had a complex system of government with multiple layers of officials (if you can use this term here) and at least one tribal assembly (per tribe, it seems, plus a general asssembly of all the tribes held at Drynemetum of unknown location).  Could it be translated as "Of the Elders (or the August Ones) of the Trocmi?" Geo S.
Hwaet!
(1940 - 2010)

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 11:07:18 pm »
I would have thought it more likely it applies to the Augustus... it is identical to the ethnic for towns we call Sebaste, the equivalent of the title Augusta.

Has this document come to light?
http://www.archaeology.org/online/features/turkey/
"The capital of the Republic of Turkey since 1923, it was in Roman times called Sebaste Tectosagum (the name refers to Augustus, Sebastos in Greek, and the Tectosages, a Galatian tribe that settled here in the late third century B.C.)"

Steve

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 11:59:26 pm »
Well, that is true.  Each of these cities must have born the name Sebaste at one time or another in honor of the emperor.  Augusta Trevirorum after all (although that came about long after these people had left the area).  Not so exotic after all.  Rats!  Another ship of conjecture brought to grief on the shoals of the obvious.  Thanks to all, Geo. S.
Hwaet!
(1940 - 2010)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity