Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The 7 Most Important Books for papal collectors  (Read 2203 times)

Offline Follibus Fanaticus

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
The 7 Most Important Books for papal collectors
« on: October 19, 2005, 03:01:55 am »
I think this belongs in the book review discussion.  I repost it from "The Papal Corner." FF   
------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE 7 MOST IMPORTANT REFERENCES FOR PAPAL COINS

THE 7 MOST IMPORTANT REFERENCE WORKS FOR COLLECTING AND RESEARCHING PAPAL COINS, IN MY OPPINION, ARE:

1. J.D.N. Kelly.   The Oxford Dictionary of Popes.  New York, Oxford University Press, 1986. 347 pages.
Good bios of the 264 popes, 30 or so anti-popes, and one nonexistent female pope.  Kelly is head and shoulders above all other papal bios.  For example, Richard P. McBrien treats us to the legend the Alexander VI died from poison.  Alexander and his son, Cesare, exhibited classic malaria symptoms.  The poison story ranks with Pope Joan as fiction.  So much for "Lives of the Popes," by the author of "Catholicism."

2. Francesco Muntoni.  Le Monete dei Papi e degli Stati Pontifici. [The Coins of the Popes and of the Papal States.] P&P Santamaria, Rome, 1972-1973, 4 [huge] volumes.  Forni has reprinted it.
CNI omits the three French mints.  Serifini covers only the [large] Vatican collectionMuntoni covers everything, except the earliest coins, which were unknown in 1972/73.

3. Michael D. O’Hara.  "A Find of Byzantine Silver from the Rome Mint for the Period A.D. 641 – 752."  Swiss Numismatic Review.  Vol. 64, 1965, pp. 105 140,  22 plates.  A reprint exists.
Covers the earliest papal coins.

4. Allen G. Berman.  Papal Coins.  Attic Books, Ltd.  South Salem, N.Y., 1991, 255 pages, 77 pages of plates.
If you are going to price a papal coin, you need this book.  The price structure is solid.  The going rate today is 2B, 2.5 B or 0.50 B. B is the Berman price.  Not all papal coins are in this book.  Finding a "not in Berman" is my own greatest coin story.

5. Thomas F.X. Noble.  The Republic of St. Peter, The Birth of the Papal State, 680 – 825.  The University of Pennsylvania Press, Philadelphia, 1984, 376 pages.
How did the popes, bishops, become civil rulers?  Was there really such a state as the Republic of St. Peter?  Mr. Noble tells you how this show got started.

6. Philip Grierson and Mark Blackburn.  Medieval European Coinage, 1, The Early Middle Ages (5th-10rh Centuries).  Cambridge University Press, London, 1991, 674 pages.
You can’t get anywhere with the early papal coinage without this book.  Just the explanation of counterfeits changes Muntoni’s 1972-74 picture.

7. Aeneas Sylvius Piccolomini [Pius II].  Memoirs of a Renaissance Pope."  Trans., Florence A Gragg.  G.P. Putnam’s Sons, New York, 1959, 381 pages.

A completely delightful book.  Pius is funny.  That’s probably why I like him so much.

Cheers,
Follibus Fanaticus

Follibus Fanaticus

invictus

Re: The 7 Most Important Books for papal collectors
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 08:42:44 am »
Do you know of a good source for the Muntoni and the Greirson/Blackburn books?  I'm interested in purchasing a copy of each.

Thanks!

yafet_rasnal

Re: The 7 Most Important Books for papal collectors
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 10:42:42 am »
Any idea where to find the o'hara book?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity