Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Need help with countermarks on this spain provincial coin.  (Read 552 times)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
Need help with countermarks on this spain provincial coin.
« on: June 30, 2021, 08:34:20 pm »
Good day,

Can anyone tell me something more about these 2 countermarks? The boar/pig i've seen referenced as being a legion countermark but it's missing the letters above and can't seem to find. The reverse seems to be an eagle head but i'm unsure.

Thanks

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Need help with countermarks on this spain provincial coin.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 09:01:11 pm »
Hi KO,

The boar isn't necessarily a legion countermark. Without the letters, it is just a boar countermark.

I have a Sicily coin with a boar countermark (first coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rp_sicily_agri_lily.htm

The boar countermark on my Sicily coin is How. 290.

By the way, your description of the host coin (under-type) is correct. It appears to be a Spain provincial coin issued by Augustus or Tiberius. I have a whole bunch of those types of coins.

Meepzorp

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 08:32:21 am »
Thanks for the reply and insight. You are right that the boar probably isn't a legion countermark but it comes from a region where a legion was stationed and the countermarks they used were that of a boar. These countermarks seems to come from the period of the civil war 68-69 AD. More however I havn't been able to find out  :laugh:

Online Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 08:59:23 am »

RPC 457 lists coin #166275 with same boar c/m as your coin:

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coin/166275

Pekka K

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 12:59:00 am »

RPC 457 lists coin #166275 with same boar c/m as your coin:

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coin/166275

Pekka K

Thanks!  +++

All coins are guaranteed for eternity