Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Likely fake septimius severus denarius  (Read 844 times)

Online Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Likely fake septimius severus denarius
« on: December 11, 2020, 04:00:53 pm »
Hi all,

This one is 3.16g, 17.5mm, 180 degrees.  Pretty sure it's a cast fake. Patina rubs off on the fingers and I believe it has a filed-off casting sprue on the edge at 10 o'clock viewed from the obverse.

Looking for a second opinion before filing a fake coin report.

My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Likely fake septimius severus denarius
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 08:00:19 pm »
From the photos and weight, it looks OK to my old eyes.
Let's see what others think.
PeteB

Online Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 08:53:22 pm »
From the photos and weight, it looks OK to my old eyes.
Let's see what others think.
PeteB

There is a 4mm wide raised area on the flan edge with clear and crude file marks running about 45 degrees to the flan. To my eyes under the loupe, it looks like a filed off sprue.  The rest of The edge looks normal, so if there is a mold seam, it's up at the edge of the coin where it would not be obvious.  Also the patina rubs off a bit in hand with minimal effort, unlike real patina.  Not sure if that changes your opinion?  It was tough to get a good photo of the filed area.

the dirt in the crevasses of the obverse isn't well adhered, it came off with a dry toothbrush.

I am pretty sure it is real silver though...?

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline antoninus1

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 03:16:12 am »
Looks o.k. to me, too.
Have a look at the edge like in your second photo and rotate the coin. If it looks wedge-shaped from one angle (i.e. the upper and lower side are not parallel to each other) then it´s a sign that the coin has been struck manually.

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 03:58:01 am »
I have seen uncleaned coins with a small scrape on the edge where it looks like someone was just checking to see if the coin was silver, or not.  I can't tell if that is the case with your coin but it is worth considering!

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 04:01:54 am »
Looks ok to me too... maybe the edges have been manipulated or smoothed to fit in a jewelry loop. Either way, I agree with other posters, looks legit.

Online Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 11:09:25 am »
Looks o.k. to me, too.
Have a look at the edge like in your second photo and rotate the coin. If it looks wedge-shaped from one angle (i.e. the upper and lower side are not parallel to each other) then it´s a sign that the coin has been struck manually.

Sides are parallel.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Online Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 11:11:04 am »
Looks ok to me too... maybe the edges have been manipulated or smoothed to fit in a jewelry loop. Either way, I agree with other posters, looks legit.

It was sold as recently dug. Coin came to me from a dealer that got it in a lot of about 50 denarii from Lebanon this year.  I haven't seen any of the other coins in person.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 11:46:06 am »
Since the consensus here seems to be that the coin is genuine,you might want to revise what you said about this coin in your gallery.

Online Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2020, 11:59:27 am »
The gallery image is only there temporarily for this thread. I haven't seen a procurator monetae weigh in yet, but if that consensus is upheld I will definitely take it down or change the description.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity