Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Moneta Software  (Read 5241 times)

Offline Alexander B2

• Auxiliary
Moneta Software
« on: March 04, 2017, 04:37:07 pm »
All,

I had been using the Moneta cataloging software by Numus for years and I recently had to replace my hard drive on my computer.    No big issue, but when I went to reinstall Moneta it is asking me for a verification code.    It is my understanding, and experience, that Numus software is no longer responding to emails.   

Would anyone have a suggestion on how I could get the verification code?    I have my files backed up my files to Excel and a cst file, but I wanted to hopefully be able to use Moneta a while longer.   

Thanks,
Alex

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Moneta Software
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 08:12:34 pm »
I don't think it is possible to get a new code. The owner of Numis, the maker of Moneta passed away a few years ago. I believe he was the only one who could generate the codes.  In any case, I don't know how to get one.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 08:56:12 pm »
If your old hard drive has a Microsoft operating systen and still works, hook it up and download Belarc Adviser here:
http://www.belarc.com/ba5.html?B
There is a free download at this site.
The download is quick and results include all the registration codes/Software Licenses for things like your operating system, photoshop, etc., etc.
Perhaps your Moneta registration code (verification code?) is there also.
Please let us know if this helps.
For others reading this, it is a NEAT piece of FREE software and will tell you software license codes/registration codes you may have lost, and a ton of other things about your computer.
Full disclosure: I have NO connection to this company whatsoever!
PeteB

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 09:39:11 pm »
The Moneta activation code is unique for each hard drive and is somehow derived from a verification code generated when Moneta is installed on the drive.  I believe the verification code is based on some aspect of the hard drive, maybe the serial number. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 10:09:27 pm »
Here are some redacted items Belarc provides:

Board: Dell Inc. 0KXXXX AXX
Serial Number: ..CXXXXXXXXXXXXXX010U.
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
UEFI: Dell Inc. A09 11/22/2014

979.44 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
862.31 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

TSSTcorp DVD+-RW SH-216DB SCSI CdRom Device [Optical drive]
Y-E DATA USB-FDU USB Device [Floppy drive]

CF/MD Card [Hard drive] -- drive 1
MS/Pro/Duo Card [Hard drive] -- drive 4
SD/mini-MMC/RS Card [Hard drive] -- drive 3
SM/xD Card [Hard drive] -- drive 2
STXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX2 [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 0, s/n ZXXXXXXXXP, rev CXXX, SMART Status: Healthy

Software Licenses [Back to Top]  
Adobe Systems - Adobe Photoshop 7.0 1XXX-1XXX-8XXX-4XXX-0XXX-4XXX  
America Online - America Online dxxxxx
Belarc - Advisor 82XXXXX6e  
Canon - WIA MX870  
Dell - SupportAssistAgent FALSE  
Intel - USB3 {240CXXXXXXXXXXX40CF2}  
Microsoft - Internet Explorer 00371-OEM-8XXXXXXXXX4 (Key: 3XXX2-KXXX-MXXXT-4XXXX-7XXXX)e
Microsoft - Office FrontPage 2XXX 7XXXX-7XX-6XXXXX5-5XXXX (Key: WXXXX-8XXXX-6XXXX-YXXXXX-BXXXXX)
Microsoft - Office Home and Business 2010 82503-301-0184384-27412 (Key: DXXXX-VXXXX-FXXXJ-KXXXXX-WXXXXX)
Microsoft - PowerShell 8XXXX-1XX-0XXXXX0-0XXXX  
Microsoft - Windows 7 Professional (x64) 00371-OEM-8992671-00524 (Key: 3XXXX-KXXXX-MXXXX-4XXXX-7XXXXXX
Norton - AntiVirus 000XXXXX

The "Key" to Alexander B2's Moneta software may be there.
PeteB

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 11:25:44 am »
As to Joe's point: perhaps someone with Moneta software installed and who knows the "key" can download Belarc and determine where (if) the installation key/code/serial number can be found....and tell us.
PeteB

Offline paparoupa

• Parasitica Cliens
  • Consul
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 03:59:42 am »
3) Authorization Code

Once Moneta is purchased, simply mail, call, or e-mail Numus giving your validation number and you will be sent your authorization code.  The algorithm for calculating the authorization codes is on file with the Classical and Medieval Numismatic Society and will be released to the public in the unlikely event Numus ever ceases business.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 02:37:08 pm »
How does this help the OP?
I guess you are saying the OP should re- buy the software.
Perhaps this is the easiest solution. I have no idea what it costs...or that it is still available for purchase.
PeteB

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 03:45:58 pm »
The software is no longer for sale and has not been for sale for many years.  I don't think it runs on Windows newer than XP.

What paparoupa has pointed out is that it should be possible to contact the Classical and Medieval Numismatic Society for instructions on how to determine a Moneta authorization code from a Moneta validation number. We probably could also get permission to publish the "algorithm" here too.  Do we have any members of the Classical and Medieval Numismatic Society here?
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Koffy

• Legionary
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 05:14:48 pm »
I currently have it running on Windows 10 and it was running on Windows 8 before I upgraded. 

Where it gets tricky is if you have a 32 bit version of Moneta and now want to run it on 64 bit machine.

I tried contacting the Classical and Medieval Numismatic Society a year or so ago and didn't get a reply, there hasn't been an update since Sept 9, 2012, think this is the right site:  http://www.cmns.ca/

Hopefully someone can help as it's a good program and eventually all hard drives fail.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 08:47:25 pm »
Apparently Win 10 has the capability to run in the Win XP Compatabilty mode and operate 32 bit apps:
http://www.windowscentral.com/how-make-old-desktop-apps-run-again-windows-10
PeteB

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 04:52:40 pm »
Windows 7 does that as well. I don't know whether win10 is any better, but I haven't had much joy getting win7 to run legacy programs.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 12:46:50 pm »
"Windows 7 does that as well"

Only Windows 7 Professional version.
PeteB

Offline Dale C2

• Auxiliary
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2017, 03:08:59 pm »
I had to just buy a new hard drive, and I did have a copy of all my NUMUS MOneta files and data saved on a backup,  and I copied these folders with my data on my coins to my new computer and ran the exe. file.   The initial Numus screen shows Version 2.0.15a.  Then a pop up screen says: "An error occurred while attempting to initialize the Borland Database Engine (error $2108).

Does anyone know how to get around this error?

The strange thing is that MOneta ran perfectly on Windows 8.  I did an online upgrade with Microsoft to Windows 10 and Moneta also worked fine.  So, I am guessing I need a file moved to another directory for the program to fully launch.  Any suggestions???

I diD have my original Moneta 2.0 CD but it is not compatible with Windows 10, so I cannot do a reinstal on this new hard drive.  I do have all my original authorization and validation codes from Tom (the developer).

Offline OldMoney

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • My Site! www.oldmoney.com.au
    • Walter Holt's Old Money
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 07:08:34 am »
Since Moneta seems no longer to be supported, a client has asked me about Coin Software generally (world, etc.). Any good suggestions in this regard? Thanks,

Walter
Coins of Ephesus
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/ephesuscoins
Walter Holt's Old Money - Ancient Coins
https://www.oldmoney.com.au
Sydney, Australia

All coins are guaranteed for eternity