Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: I need a 2nd Opinion. Possible MULE  (Read 341 times)

Offline JASON C2

• Auxiliary
I need a 2nd Opinion. Possible MULE
« on: February 15, 2022, 01:11:53 pm »
Obverse: RIC 169
Reverse: RIC 118.7

Pay attention to the legend on both sides. Especially, COS V PP on both sides.

Is this a Mule?

Thanks, in advance.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: I need a 2nd Opinion. Possible MULE
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 02:07:01 pm »
Looks like a mule to me.

This Aequitas standing type was in use when COS V was moved from the obv. to the rev. on Trajan's aurei and denarii: the same type occurs first with COS V in the obv. legend and then, a little later, with COS V moved to the reverse legend. Since your coin has the new rev. legend, it should have the new obv. legend too. But apparently an old obv. die was still available and was mistakenly coupled with the new rev. die that your coin shows.

I don't find any notice of this mule in the excellent new catalogue of Trajan's coinage by Bernhard Woytek (Vienna, 2010).
Curtis Clay

Offline JASON C2

• Auxiliary
Re: I need a 2nd Opinion. Possible MULE
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 05:41:24 pm »
Thanks.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity