Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Dumb question from a dummy on Roman Provincials  (Read 1327 times)

Maffeo

Dumb question from a dummy on Roman Provincials
« on: November 25, 2010, 05:05:54 am »
I readily admit that I'm totally ignorant on Roman Provincial coinage. Of late though I've become fascinated by the tretradrachma issued in Antioch ad Orontem (with eagle on reverse) up to Volusian - I've noticed and admired some great specimens in some of the users' galleries.
My dumb question: what happened with the issues of Antioch ad Orontem between Volusian and the introduction of the Roman system with the reform of Diocletian around 298?

Thanks,

Mike

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
Re: Dumb question from a dummy on Roman Provincials
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 06:30:36 am »
The East is not my special field, but a large part of Roman Mesopotamia and Syria including Antioch was conquered and heavily devastated by the Sassanian king Shapur in 253 AD (for a discussion of the debated chronology, see Udo Hartmann, Das Palmyrenische Teilreich, Stuttgart 2001, p. 70-73, also footnote 28. For a dating of Shapur's attack to 256 AD see Prieur, the Syro-Phoenician Tetradrachms and their Fractions, Lancaster PA and London 2000, p. 84). It seems plausible to me that the minting of the Antioch Tetradrachms was ceased due to the heavy turmoil following the Roman civil wars and the Persian invasions. When Valerian I. arrived in the east in late 253 or early 254, the imperial mint of Antioch started issuing large numbers of imperial coins, apparently replacing the former "Provincial" coins.

One interesting phenomenon is the "usurper" Uranius Antoninus, probably a high priest of the temple of Elagabal at Emesa (his original name is reported as Sampsigeramos by one source), who was raised to the rank of Augustus in his city as a reaction to the Persian threat and who continued issuing silver Tetradrachms (and bronze coins) until late 253 or maybe early 254, cf. Hartmann p. 73-75, Prieur p. 125 and mainly Hans Baldus, Uranius Antoninus, Münzprägung und Geschichte, Bonn 1971, and same, Uranius Antoninus of Emesa, A Roman Emperor from Palmyra's Neighbouring-City and his Coinage, in: Palmyra and the Silk Road, Damascus 1996, p. 371-377. His coins to my knowledge form the latest Syro-Phoenician Tetradrachms.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 06:45:05 am »
If you're interested in tetradrachm issues from Antioch you should probably get McAlee's "The Coins of Roman Antioch", edited in 2007. Even though it is off my field of collecting, I have the book and read it often, as I also like these issues.

BTW, Lars' explanation is spot on, according to McAlee, who probably feeds from the same sources.

Regards,
Ignasi

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 07:08:16 am »
I have not read McAlee's book yet (which is why I forgot to mention it - as I said, the east is not my special field of interest) but it is good to hear that he came to the same conclusion.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Maffeo

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 11:53:09 am »
Thanks guys! The answer then, in a nutshell, is that the series of Antiochene tetradrachma with emperor's portrait and eagle reverse ceased after Volusian on account of political turmoil rather than the introduction of some new system of coinage.
Even though I'm very disciplined in my collecting (at the moment focusing on the early Tetrarchy) I must say I find those Antiochene and other Syrian tetradrachma a real temptation! And the only way to overcome temptation is to give in...  ;D
But even if I don't succumb, I'll certainly get the books mentioned which sound very interesting.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity