Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Edessa - Decius or Herennius Etruscus  (Read 725 times)

Offline Sosius

• Caesar
Edessa - Decius or Herennius Etruscus
« on: November 24, 2010, 02:31:25 pm »
After reviewing The Coinage of Edessa in Mesopotamia Ernest Babelon. Paris, 1904 Translated by Dane ("Helvetica“) Kurth, April 2010. I believe that this coin is Trajan Decius, but the legend is closer to the coin discussed in the text that Mionnet attributed to Herennius Etruscus

Diameter = 20mm
O:  :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Upsilon_2: :Greek_Tau:(or  :Greek_Gamma::Greek_Delta: :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Kappa: :Greek_Iota: C C :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Beta:, Radiate bust right
R:  :Greek_Kappa: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Lambda:  :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Delta: :Greek_Iota: CC :Greek_Alpha:, Turreted bust left

What do you all think?  Any opinions or feedback on this coin would be appreciated!

Cliff
Sosius

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=24203
650+ coins and about 2/3 done--I have a coin problem

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Edessa - Decius or Herennius Etruscus
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 03:02:22 pm »
A coin of Herennius Etruscus may surface, but I have not ever seen one. The obv. legend of your coin is Decius' legend in Edessa as it also appears on the variant with the laureate bust, so I would say there's no reason to attribute the coin to someone else.
Regards
Gert

Offline Sosius

• Caesar
Re: Edessa - Decius or Herennius Etruscus
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 04:35:12 pm »
Thanks, Gert. 
Sosius

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=24203
650+ coins and about 2/3 done--I have a coin problem

All coins are guaranteed for eternity