Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantine I Beata Tranquillitas  (Read 540 times)

Offline The Apostle

• Consul
Constantine I Beata Tranquillitas
« on: November 04, 2008, 01:17:43 pm »
I have a question concerning the bust of Constantine I on this coin.  I almost have it nailed down except that I do not know if the bust is seen from the back.  I have never had a coin where I thought this might be the case.  It is an option but I would like for someone that knows to assist me.  Thanks in advance.

Obv:  CONSTAN-TINVS AVG laureate possibly seen from back
Rev:  BEATA TRAN-QVILLITAS 3 stars VO TIS XX
Unsure about exergue

Offline Jeff Clark

• Procurator Monetae
  • Consul
  • VOTA PVBLICA
Re: Constantine I Beata Tranquillitas
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 03:26:52 pm »
As this is classifed (by RIC) as a head, technically it is not a view from the back.  It may be argued that the shoulder shown may indicate it is a back view.  I don't look at it that way and consider it a laureate head.  The best bet based on style and what I can see in the exergue is Lugdunum and the mintmark would be PLG.  London and Trier are other possibilities.
Jeff Clark

All coins are guaranteed for eternity