Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Wittenberg Bible  (Read 2565 times)

Online PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
Wittenberg Bible
« on: April 23, 2007, 02:37:29 pm »
This is a bit off topic, but it's sort of about history at least. I try to stick to buying coins, to I am a spammer  :) but when I saw this, I just had to have it!  I hope folks will find it interesting, as I do.

The item in question is a page from a Wittenberg Bible. This is the Bible that Martin Luther wrote in German and in the process harmonised the German language. Amazingly, about 100,000 copies were printed between 1534 and 1574.

This page was printed in 1572. It was 'illuminated' by Hans Krafft (presumably the woodcut drawings). It is printed on both sides and is part of the second book of Moses, dealing with the plagues visited on the pharaoh of Egypt. The scenery is obviously not Egypt, though! The plague the artist had in mind looks to be much closer to home.

Enjoy!
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Online PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historia
Re: Wittenberg Bible
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 02:38:47 pm »
And overleaf
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 02:49:21 pm »
A wonderful piece of history, though I wouldn't want to own something so fragile!
Andreas Reich

sid

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 05:24:30 pm »
The one thing that we need to be aware of is that there are people who will buy a beautiful, medieval Bible, and then tear it apart because they can sell the pages individually for more than what they paid for the whole book.
It's one thing if this page came out of a Bible that had fallen apart, that was missing pages or books, and it was deemed unsalvagable except as artwork of individual pages. But I'd be worried about buying such a page and think that maybe I just paid someone to destroy a piece of history.

Offline wandigeaux (1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 06:00:07 pm »
The practice of removing plates from books has been going on forever.  Obviously, the plates individually cannot be worth more than the complete book -- until they are FRAMED.  The blame for this is largely to be laid at the door of the dreaded interior decorator! (Who are, by the way, happy to buy books by the yard for the color of their spine panels, and then saw off the pages and glue the spines to a board to furnish a panel to hide a big screen TV or bar.) More insidious is the individual who likes a plate, and just takes that one.  As a bookseller, I hate to think of the hours I have spent checking that the proper number of plates (and pages) are present in a copy (if they are not, the book is largely toast).  The world is full of defective or incomplete printed bibles, so I do not think framing a page is destroying a piece of history, but preserving something that otherwise would be in danger of ending up in the trash.  Fragility is not an issue, if you are constantly aware of what you are doing; I would have this wonderful leaf framed immediately, professionally, using archival materials, and keep it out of strong light.  Unfortunately, the only such leaf that I have has been scribbled all over by someone named John Calvin :-)  Cheers, George Spradling
Hwaet!
"The pump don't work 'cuz the Vandals took the handle" - St. Augustine
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!
(1940 - 2010)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 06:19:15 pm »
I consigned my perfect Ionian Aniquities of the Society of Dilettanti to the Rare Books collection rather than let anyone remove and frame its plates.
Pat L.

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 01:07:13 am »
That is fantastic art. I have a complete manuscript, a copy of the Justinian Code printed in 1562, but it lacks any kind of large woodcuts. I am very envious. ;) I'm not going to let anyone take a page out of mine either. >:(
                                                           LordBest. 8)

4to2CentBCphilia

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 07:42:34 pm »
The one thing that we need to be aware of is that there are people who will buy a beautiful, medieval Bible, and then tear it apart because they can sell the pages individually for more than what they paid for the whole book.
It's one thing if this page came out of a Bible that had fallen apart, that was missing pages or books, and it was deemed unsalvagable except as artwork of individual pages. But I'd be worried about buying such a page and think that maybe I just paid someone to destroy a piece of history.

I have purchased complete antique atlases and have also bought the same atlas that was nothing more than loose leafs for the ability to frame some of the maps. Some atlases (as well as books) are worth far more in their complete state than as individual leaves. There also atlases and books worth more when separated then if sold complete. Those are always at risk of being broken apart. There is no way to know with certainty.

I would not fault anyone for wanting to own a leaf from a illuminated script for framing. The same fear could be held when buying an individual coin....that it was broken out of a unrecorded hoard or an illegally dug up hoard. Hard to justify one persons purchase vs another.

I have looked at and considered buying something like this for a long time. The only reservation I have I had is paying the appropriate price since they vary greatly depending on a different factors.  Ten years ago in Prague, you could walk into a book store and buy complete books or leaves at 1/10 to 1/50 the price they cost now. Once folks cleaned out their attics (and probably some museums), and western money started flooding in, prices shot up.

Peter....I am interested in the dimensions of the page and how you are mounting it? The fellow I use to frame my maps has done some great double sided displays, so neither side is hidden. If you get it framed, have it done by someone familiar with archival/conservatory framing. Beyond obvious concerns like pulp washed acid free matting, make sure they use japanese tissue paper hinges to fix the document to the mat. It allows swelling and shrinkage due to changes in heat and humidity. This prevents any strain being experienced by the document. Also avoids a shock to the document if the frame is jolted or falls.  The tissue is easy to remove (make sure no acidic glues are used) and it allows easy removal without damage to the document, You would also want to invest in Tru-Vue museum glass that is UV resistant.  It virtually eliminates glare (without the cheaper ethced type that blurs the image) and greatly diminishes image fade. When properly lit, the glass is virtually invisible. Finally, aluminum tape to seal the edges of the mat and make sure you don't hang it on a wall that faces the exterior of the house. Humidity can build behind the frame, and this usually does not occur on most interior walls.

Beautiful leaf. Was it expensive?

BR

Mark

Online PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historia
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 06:24:45 am »
Mark.... Thanks for your remarks. The comparison with coins is particularly apt.

My page is 23 cm x 33 cm. I can see from the marks on the edges that it has been mounted before. The colouring was probably done in the 19th century, so that may have been when it was 'orphaned'.  At the moment, for safety, I have put it in a frame with glass back and front with no mounting. In the past I have mounted old documents so that they can be seen on both sides, so I might try that again. I do not intend to permanently display it (i.e. on a wall) at the moment so there will be no problems with light.

This page cost me 120 Euro from a legit dealer in Leipzig that sells on ebay. I will risk the moderator's wrath by giving the name: antiqua.rare.books The have a great deal of items of interest, including maps and complete books.

Since I started this thread I have done some more research. I realise that name I was given for the producer of the Wittenberg Bible should be Hans Lufft, not Krafft. Here's the correct information.

Hans Lufft (1495-1584) was a German printer and publisher, commonly called "the Bible Printer," because in 1534 he printed at Wittenberg the first complete edition of Luther's Bible, in two quarto volumes with illuminations in gold and colors by Lucas Cranach. Lufft printed in the 40 years following more than 100,000 copies of the German Bible. He also printed most of the other works of Luther.
Peter, London

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 05:03:23 pm »
I don't see why anyone would be upset with you for mentioning a seller who doesn't compete with FORVM!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

4to2CentBCphilia

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 01:58:23 pm »
Peter

Nice price. The leafs from the "Book of Hours" are usually beautifully illuminated (contemporary, not later colouration) but they are generally very small (4"x6" to 5"x8") at best and very pricey ($1000-4,000) for a nice late 15th or early 16th century example on vellum.

I have been looking at something along these lines, although I am still hesitant to part with >$1,000. I will spend that on a map or coin, but for one leaf of a book, I start to balk.

Estimate $1,200 to $1,400  size 5"x8"

This one is not in the best condition, although the image is wonderful.

BR

Mark

All coins are guaranteed for eternity