Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Adding to my coin attributions: weight, diameter, and die axis  (Read 656 times)

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
It's amazing what a couple of simple tools can do, specifically digital scales, calipers, and little pieces of paper with clock faces printed on them.

I'm rounding out my attributions to include die alignment and maximum diameters for my coin collection.  I picked up a compact scale five years ago and embarked on a mission to weigh and record the weights of my coins, which I had sometimes neglected.  I have now procured a caliper and read some practical advice in the discussion boards. I am going to go through my collection again, recording diameters and adding die axes.

I've learned about a lot of references and some best practices from Forum, particularly in coin attributions. There is a succinct entry in Numiswiki for attributions, joining some Coin 101 entries, including Die Alignment 101 and Diameter 101. 

I was a tad unsure about the value of die axes, but as I am going through my collection anyway, what harm would it do? And I flipped back and forth on whether to use degrees or clock hours, and I decided on the clock face because of its very imprecision. I just don't want to be too fussy.  Having practiced with Die Alignment 101, I devised a suitable clock face of my own and printed it out on 2"x2" (50mm) paper. See below. 

Sample result: my denarius of Manlia Scantilla will be listed as: AR Denarius (2.79 gm, 18 mm, 6h) of Rome.

It is going to take time for me to go through all the coins, recording results in my database, and then posting updates to my Forum member gallery.  I will just have to be persistent.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: Adding to my coin attributions: weight, diameter, and die axis
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 06:07:44 pm »
I also started adding die orientation, as well, a while back and updated all my collection tags. I settled on degrees I think only because it seemed more common, but I also see hours a lot, I think both are fine (or either). I try to get within 5-10 degrees, so I am not looking for precision. I think most I see are rounded off much as clock hours are. There are some coins, such as some from Elymais, where you have no clue what the orientation is. For these, I just don't even attempt to record anything.

Virgil

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 06:24:24 pm »
I only try to be accurate to 15 degrees.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 06:57:19 pm »
I've wanted to add die axis for a long time but have never gotten around to it.  Big job to go through them all.  I may just start from new ones I add for now.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 07:36:20 pm »
I think 15 degrees is fine. Jay, my collection is not that big, so I could do it once I realized it was a useful attribute. The bigger the collection, the more time involved.

Virgil

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 09:10:15 pm »
For some coins the "wrong" die axis will give you a clue that the coin may be a fourree, imitative or a fake. Most of time current fake makers know the correct die axis.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 09:35:52 pm »
I use degrees, not clock coordinates, and estimate to nearest 15 degrees.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity