Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Geta - Eros/Thanatos - unpublished?  (Read 1194 times)

Offline ambr0zie

• Consul
Geta - Eros/Thanatos - unpublished?
« on: July 02, 2022, 07:59:22 am »
Hello ladies and gentlemen,
I bought a Geta provincial that confuses me.

Original attribution from the house
THRACE. Anchialus. Geta (Caesar, 198-209). Ae.
Bareheaded, draped and cuirassed bust right.
Rev: Winged Genius standing facing, legs crossed, resting on torch set on altar.
Varbanov 43
I don't think this is correct.
As checked, the Anchialus coins with this reverse have the legend AΓXIAΛEΩN. On mine it starts with a Λ (or A) and ends with ΛITΩN or AITΩN.
 I know this reverse is common for several Thrace cities BUT
- not Pautalia - ΠAVTA-ΛIΩTΩN  (on my reverse it ends with ITΩN - one "extra" Ω on Pautalia
- not Marcianopolis - MAPKIANOΠOΛITΩN - as the city on my coin starts with a Λ or A
- not Nicopolis -  NIKOΠOΛ ΠPOC IC
- not Augusta Traiana
Next choice - Hadrianopolis (I cannot find any Hadrianopolis Geta coins with this reverse being sold in archives) but
https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/thrace/hadrianopolis/t.html
Varbanov 3657 var  has this reverse but the obverse legend is  Λ CEΠTI ΓETA KAI
On mine is Λ Π (?)ΓETA (CK?!)

Any help is greatly appreciated. I also asked on other places and 2 private questions addressed to collectors who don't use communities so if I get an answer I will post it here also.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Geta - Eros/Thanatos - unpublished?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 03:42:45 pm »
Dear ambr0zie!

The rev. of your coin is from the same die like the the coin from Wildwinds Varbanov 3567 var. So it is Hadrianopolis with a new not yet listed obv.

Best regards
Jochen

Offline ambr0zie

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 03:40:22 am »
Thank you Jochen.
This was also my idea as the style strongly resembles Hadrianopolis.
I have also asked the staff from VarbanovBooks and the gentleman who replied told me it might be from Dionysopolis (type unrecorded for the city)
I also requested advice from an auction house who said it is most likely a Hadrianopolis with a low chance to be a Dionysopolis.
I am not skilled enough to contradict experts, but my impression is also this is a Hadrianopolis coin.

It's too bad the coin misses the first part of the reverse legend, this would have clarified without any trace of doubt.
I like the coin. Pleasant green patina, good details. I think it was a good addition.

Offline Blindado

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 08:19:10 pm »

Offline ambr0zie

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 03:57:57 am »
Your coin seems indeed from Pautalia after the legends. On mine the legends are different.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity