Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Thasos Tetradrachms  (Read 718 times)

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
Thasos Tetradrachms
« on: May 05, 2022, 11:59:00 am »
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=prokopov%20thasos

The above link is to the Numiswiki for 'Der Silberprägung der Insel Thasos und die Tetradrachmen des "thasischen Typs" vom 2.-1. Jahrhundert v.Chr.' by Dr. Prokopov

This is a wonderful posting for those in the dark on these coins (like me).

I am posting this thread to ask if the Prokopov Groups listed in this book are still considered accurate, i.e. Groups I-XI are still considered 'Original Thasos' and Groups XII-XX are still considered 'Roman imitative Thasos'.

Also, it looks like Dr. Prokopov has adjusted the chronology for these coins in the 2018 paper '"Bad Style" Coins or Imitations?'. Is this still the most recent scholarship on the chronology, or is there something even more recent? (cf. Callatay 2012 'A Tetradrachm with the Legend Thrakon Overstruck on an Athenian Stephanephoros...').

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Thasos Tetradrachms
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 12:39:59 pm »
de Callatay was the last one i read I am interested because of the link with the New Styles. See Meadows "Meadows, Andrew, “Thasos”/New Style Hoard 1996 (CH9, 265)”.
NC/ANS 2002 on his academia.edu page
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
Re: Thasos Tetradrachms
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 03:36:23 pm »
I have the hard copy of CH9 and it is very good, but older than the references that now seem to be used by some major auction houses for attribution.

Using Callatay 2012 and Prokopov 2018 I arrived at a dating for Prokopov Groups IX and X of circa 115-100 BC. However, CNG is currently dating these Prokopov groups at circa 140-110 BC. I've found that CNG often has their fingers (and minds) on the most up-to-date info, so I was wondering if there was something else out there. Next time I contact them I will ask.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity