Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Seal Theotokos? 10th Century?  (Read 995 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Byzantine Seal Theotokos? 10th Century?
« on: October 02, 2018, 10:09:17 pm »
I have another interesting Byzantine seal.  On the obverse is:
+ΘΕ
ΟΤΟΚ
Ε RΟΗ
ΘΗ.

On the reverse is
 +ΙΩΑ
ΝΝΗ ΠΑ
ΤΡΙΚΙ
Ω.

It measures approximately 25 mm and weighs 13.61g.  I believe that the obverse reads "Theotokos."  Am I correct?  Could this seal date to the 10th century?  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Byzantine Seal Theotokos? 10th Century?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 04:02:28 am »
You get that inscription exactly right. The obverse has an invocation of the Theotokos (vocative 'Theotoke') to aid (boèthè) John, who holds the dignity of patrikios. The date is a little too late though. 2 similar seals were in the Zacos col. (Zacos/Veglery no. 876). They date the type to the 7th century, but I would prefer the first half of the 8th century, because of the dative in stead of a genetive (IWANNOV) reverse inscription.
Regards
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 03:22:14 pm »
Thank you so much once again Gert!  I especially like this seal as my first name is John.

I was wondering - seals of patrikia must be much rarer than those of patrikios. I think that patrikia - the belted patrician - was the only rank afforded women.  Have you seen a seal of a patrika?  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 05:02:17 am »
Yes the belted/girdled patrikia (zoste patrikia) was the empress’ chief attendant. Her status is evident from the fact that she had the right to dine at the imperial table, along with the patriarch of Constantinople and only a few other high courtiers. In fact, “zoste patrikia” is the only truly female dignity, as she held her rank in her own right, independent of her husband’s rank.

But it is important to distinguish the zoste patrikia from a 'regular' patrikia. Any aristocratic Byzantine woman bore the dignity of her husband. So the wife of a 'patrikios' was known as a 'patrikia'.

There are multiple seal types known that belonged to women with the rank of zoste patrikia. For example this one of a Maria, nun and zoste [patrikia]:

Maria, nun and zoste. Byzantine lead seal c. 11th century AD
Full length facing Virgin with both hands uplifted in prayer, medaillon of Christ before breast (Theotokos Episkepsis); To l. and r. [MH]-ΘV
ΘKE R
  • TH CH ΔU… MAPIA M
  • NAXH KA ZWCTH in five lines

27mm, 10.29 gram; very fine

Regards
Gert

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 05:08:37 am »
If you search the Dumbarton Oaks collection on 'patrikia' you will see other types. Most of these are the 'regular' kind. I think there's only one belonging to a zoste patrikia.
Regards
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity