Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tetradrachm vs Shekel  (Read 848 times)

Offline the10thlegion

• Consul
Tetradrachm vs Shekel
« on: October 14, 2016, 11:58:18 am »
When Alexander the Great died his conquests were divided among his generals. From that we got the Seleucid Kingdom and the Ptolemy Kingdom, Both of these produced tetradrachms featuring the ruler of the kingdom on the obverse facing right and an eagle on the reverse facing left. Both are similar in appearance and design though inscriptions change. Now let me show my ignorance: The Shekel of Tyre, the one attributed to Judas’s betrayal of Jesus, it too is similar in appearance, diameter, and weight. Is there something in history that explains the similarity? Are the they the same thing just different names?

Thanks
John

Online shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Tetradrachm vs Shekel
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 12:32:07 pm »

All coins are guaranteed for eternity