Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Meepzorp's coin website  (Read 266501 times)

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Coin website help
« Reply #100 on: October 27, 2015, 11:57:19 pm »
Hi folks,

I just switched users. I checked the hard drive information with the computer under my niece. In fact, I am under her name right now, as I'm typing this. The hard drive information is the same. It didn't change.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2015, 03:12:23 am »
Hi folks,

I just downloaded Filezilla client. I think it was successful.

I also added my website link to my Forum profile.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2015, 03:42:34 am »
Hi Meepzorp,

That sounds good. By all means copy any of my web-pages. You will find that you can erase 95% of the code to achieve what you want.

Why not try it straight away so as you can get an idea of what is involved. This is how:
Go to the page you want.
Right click and select 'Save Page As' and save.
Open Windows Explorer and find the page you just saved. It has an .htm extension. The picture (.jpg) files will be there separately.
Right click on the htm file and select 'Open With' (or similar) and select NotePad (Yes you do have a word processor!).
You can now view the code and content. Make a few changes. Get rid of unwanted code (the large menu sequence for example) and change the text.
Save and then go back to Windows Explorer and double click on the file you have just saved. The modified web page should appear in your browser.
See what your editing has done and then go back and experiment.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Hi Pete,

I re-named and saved your website page to my hard drive. I found it and opened it using Notepad.

There are about 1,000 extra "<span" and "/span>" tags inserted in the text. Why? Can I just delete all of them? Do I need to add them when I am editing the code?

Also, the opening line (<!DOCTYPE HTML......) is different. When I re-save it, do I need to go back to the original opening line?

Meepzorp

Offline traveler

• Consul
« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2015, 04:32:05 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 27, 2015, 11:40:47 pm
Regarding computer problems: If you are truly short of hard disk space then that may the cause of your computer instability. Check out how much space you have with Windows Explorer. Remove any old unwanted files (but not ones that are used by Windows or applications). If they are still needed, move them to the flash drive.

Anything less than 15% empty space is bad and can cause problems.  Less than 10% empty space likely will cause problems.

Hi Pete and Joe,

Thanks for the advice.

When my niece first gave me this computer a few years ago, the hard drive was full. I couldn't do much of anything with the computer. I kept getting a message stating that the hard drive was full and that I needed to clean it out (delete some things). I did that. I deleted everything that wasn't essential.

I just checked my computer. It has 2 hard drives.

This is the hard drive information the computer is providing to me right now:

1) OS (C:)   23.4 GB free of 136 GB
2) RECOVERY (D:)   3.59 GB free of 9.76 GB

Of course, this is the information I'm getting with me as the user. I don't know if the hard drive information will be different when I go under my niece (because she is still the "primary user" for this computer), which is precisely what I will be doing when I'm creating my web pages and uploading the pages to Joe's server.

Meepzorp

Hi Meepzorp,

I think it will be good to make sure your hardware is stable before going any further. You don't want your PC to crash in between.

Sorry if you already mentioned this. Did your niece give you the PC? I.e. does she want it back? If she doesn't, I'd suggest cleaning it up some more, because you have about 100 GB taken up.

The "cleanest" way will be to put the Windows installation disc into the DVD drive and reinstall Windows on C drive, but if that is not possible then you may want to go through any unnecessary downloads and remove them. Movie files for example.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #104 on: October 28, 2015, 06:07:47 am »
Regarding computer problems: If you are truly short of hard disk space then that may the cause of your computer instability. Check out how much space you have with Windows Explorer. Remove any old unwanted files (but not ones that are used by Windows or applications). If they are still needed, move them to the flash drive.

Anything less than 15% empty space is bad and can cause problems.  Less than 10% empty space likely will cause problems.

Hi Pete and Joe,

Thanks for the advice.

When my niece first gave me this computer a few years ago, the hard drive was full. I couldn't do much of anything with the computer. I kept getting a message stating that the hard drive was full and that I needed to clean it out (delete some things). I did that. I deleted everything that wasn't essential.

I just checked my computer. It has 2 hard drives.

1) OS (C:)   23.4 GB free of 136 GB
2) RECOVERY (D:)   3.59 GB free of 9.76 GB

Of course, this is the information I'm getting with me as the user. I don't know if the hard drive information will be different when I go under my niece (because she is still the "primary user" for this computer), which is precisely what I will be doing when I'm creating my web pages and uploading the pages to Joe's server.

Meepzorp

Hi Meepzorp,

I think it will be good to make sure your hardware is stable before going any further. You don't want your PC to crash in between.

Sorry if you already mentioned this. Did your niece give you the PC? I.e. does she want it back? If she doesn't, I'd suggest cleaning it up some more, because you have about 100 GB taken up.

The "cleanest" way will be to put the Windows installation disc into the DVD drive and reinstall Windows on C drive, but if that is not possible then you may want to go through any unnecessary downloads and remove them. Movie files for example.

Hi trav,

Yes, my niece gave me this computer. No, she doesn't want it back. But I don't think she wants her photos deleted.

I don't have the Windows installation disk, so that option is not possible for me.

How do I manually remove "unnecessary downloads"? I don't know how to do that.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #105 on: October 28, 2015, 06:18:04 am »
Hi Pete,

There are also numerous "&lt" and "&gt" tags added to the code on my hard drive.

Additionally, there are numerous "html-attribute-name" and "html-attribute-value" tags added.

None of this is in your website code. Why did all of these tags suddenly appear? Can I just delete all of these tags that were added?

Meepzorp

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #106 on: October 28, 2015, 06:40:07 am »
Meepzorp

On html, each time you've a question you can find the relevant w3schools page by googling for example "html span command". And then when you get to the w3schools page, browse around. For example you'll find that span identifies a section of text (for the purposes of formatting) that can be inside a line, whereas div identifies a section of text that must start with a new line. I've never once consciously used the span command (it might be embedded in bits of code I snitched). But if your draft contains html elements that you aren't sure of, then you may have started with a too-complex template to begin with. Did you look at the code for the three simple pages Doug showed you as example? If you started with a very simple template then you won't need to be removing things you don't want, you'll just be adding things you do want which you'll learn as you go. That's much better.

In general, start with googling the relevant w3schools, and just look around for related w3schools pages, and build up from a very simple webpage (rather than building down from a complex page you don't understand). We are coin experts here, not code experts, and we won't be able to help debug as you go.

I recommend htmlkit (google it) as an excellent html text editor that allows you to see your page immediately as you edit it. Didn't hear you mention it, but I still recommend it.

On the PC: Sounds like there's a massive amount of files still to be cleared from its hard drive. You'll need to do that to make progress on your big project. Your life would be so much simpler if you just sold a handful of coins and bought a low-end modern pc, and a compact camera with a basic macro function. In my collecting experience about 10% of coin budget gets spent on books and about 5% on equipment in the broadest sense. Your massive tag-rewriting exercise probably identified duplicates or unimportant varieties you no longer need. Just sell a few via Forum and get the right equipment!

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #107 on: October 28, 2015, 07:24:31 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 28, 2015, 06:18:04 am
Hi Pete,

There are also numerous "&lt" and "&gt" tags added to the code on my hard drive.

Additionally, there are numerous "html-attribute-name" and "html-attribute-value" tags added.

None of this is in your website code. Why did all of these tags suddenly appear? Can I just delete all of these tags that were added?

Meepzorp

Meepzorp,

To be honest, I don't know. I gave you a simple method to 'try out' web page creation, but that is not method I use myself. At this stage I would take Andrew's advice and use 'htmlkit' (and his other advice).

You actually only have one hard disk, which is 'partitioned' into two virtual drives, C and D. The D drive probably contains files that would normally be on an installation disk.

If your niece has photos she wants to keep why not just move them -to a flash drive -to a CD if you have a recordable drive - or online to a Flickr account maybe.

Peter
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #108 on: October 28, 2015, 07:30:01 am »

1) OS (C:)   23.4 GB free of 136 GB
2) RECOVERY (D:)   3.59 GB free of 9.76 GB

Meepzorp

I am sorry to say Meepzorp but I think that your computer is severely underpowered, especially for what you are trying to use it for. I don't think that it has the capacity to even store all your photographs. From what I can see you only have a maximum of around 33 GB of free space and that I'm afraid is nothing at all these days.

Regards

Alex

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historia
« Reply #109 on: October 28, 2015, 12:31:23 pm »

Meepzorp

I am sorry to say Meepzorp but I think that your computer is severely underpowered, especially for what you are trying to use it for. I don't think that it has the capacity to even store all your photographs. From what I can see you only have a maximum of around 33 GB of free space and that I'm afraid is nothing at all these days.

Regards

Alex
Meepzorp's computer is, I believe he said, 8 years old. People (including me) were making web-pages on computers similar to his at that time. HTML pages are simple text files and require no more computer power now than they did then. True, picture files are much bigger now. However, Meepzorp is storing his pictures on a separate flash drive. For his web-pages they will need to be cropped, stitched and re-sized. On my web-site, JPG files are rarely more than 40 KB and the HTM pages 10 KB. So he should easily be able to create a large number of web-pages on his hard disk and after they are up-loaded, move them to his flash drive as well.

Computers do slow down with age due to all sorts of things; start-up programs, unwanted background programs, hard disk fragmention, memory (RAM) problems, etc. The solution would be to re-format the hard disk and reload Windows. However, I have to own up that I have never done that myself!
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #110 on: October 28, 2015, 01:24:44 pm »
I think the issue is with the photos, not the webpage size. Unedited full size images will be 5MB each. 2500 coins, 2 sides each, and same space again to allow for work in progress, different size images for webpage work, temporary duplicates, making backups (original plus edited image for example). 50 gigabytes. Plus another 20 or 30 gig for all the other things a PC might be needed for. But it sounds as if his pc can still cope with it, if only much of that 100GB (videos?) is cleared. I suspect the operating components occupy less than 20 gig and 100 gig could be vacated. However given the issue with file transfers that took an hour each, it might really need a clean new operating system to restore it. But Meep has a large coin collection - so the issue is resolved in an instant if some spare coins are converted to hardware.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #111 on: October 28, 2015, 01:37:17 pm »
I don't keep any photos, documents, files, anything at all, except for program files on my hard drive. It is all on the cloud now. If you use the cloud, there isn't need for a lot of disk space on the computer.

Other advantages of cloud storage are that you can access everything from anywhere on any computer, tablet or phone. There is no need to back-up, because it is done for you. Also, when a hard drive dies (and they all do eventually), replacing it is extremely easy and no files are lost. 

I just had a 1 terabyte hard drive die and I replaced it with a much smaller solid state drive.  I think nothing will speed up a computer more than a SSD.  Mine boots in seconds.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historia
« Reply #112 on: October 28, 2015, 03:13:18 pm »
Andrew,

Meep says that he has bought a flash drive to save the raw images (although others have said it is not large enough). So he should be able to transfer a few pictures at a time onto the hard drive (from the flash drive), edit the pictures, create the web-pages and upload them before transfering the next batch. The finished web-pages could be moved back onto the flash drive. He doesn't need back-ups -his website is his backup.

Picture size as viewed on the web-page is defined by the IMAGE tag. The same image can be viewed at different sizes at different locations; only one JPG file is needed. The image should should be reduced to the size of the largest IMAGE tag. Most of the pictures on my site are 250x250 pixels and the JPG files the same so only require the quoted 40 KB.

Peter
Peter, London

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #113 on: October 28, 2015, 05:36:26 pm »
Andrew,

Meep says that he has bought a flash drive to save the raw images (although others have said it is not large enough). So he should be able to transfer a few pictures at a time onto the hard drive (from the flash drive), edit the pictures, create the web-pages and upload them before transfering the next batch. The finished web-pages could be moved back onto the flash drive. He doesn't need back-ups -his website is his backup.

Picture size as viewed on the web-page is defined by the IMAGE tag. The same image can be viewed at different sizes at different locations; only one JPG file is needed. The image should should be reduced to the size of the largest IMAGE tag. Most of the pictures on my site are 250x250 pixels and the JPG files the same so only require the quoted 40 KB.

Peter

All true but Meepzorp says he has had significant problems with his PC transferring items to and from phone and usb drive that make the setup apparently unworkable. And while the eventual webpage storage area including image files may be small, any sensible person always keeps a copy of the highest grade image of each coin irrespective that low grade images may be used in the webpage (or may not..). For practical purposes I often have several versions of images - pre-edit, post-edit, and specifically purposed images, eg sized for upload on forum or with different backgrounds or whatever. As Meep will also be photographing tags (a great idea) there'll be a host of other combinations. Lots of storage space. Yes they may all be kept on the cloud or on usbs but given the pc limitations and problems I'm hearing of, having local working files makes some sense.

All this debate is so unnecessary however. For a solid year without stop there have been hundreds of post advising Meepzorp how to cope with barely adequate or possibly inadequate tools (PC, camera, software). We know that he has a substantial coin collection. Having the right tools is just part of the hobby. So maybe sell some coins, and use the proceeds to buy the right tools. This thread seems rather like giving a plasterer extensive advice on how to plaster a wall using a table spoon and a carving knife, rather than just telling him to buy a plasterer's trowel. We all love Meepzorp's cheerful and helpful contributions to Forum, and we are really trying to help with advice. My advice remains unchanged since six months ago: Buy a discount low-end brand new PC and basic camera with macro, and start this immense and important imaging and web project with modern and appropriate equipment.

Offline traveler

• Consul
« Reply #114 on: October 28, 2015, 09:52:39 pm »
Andrew,

Peter

All true but Meepzorp says he has had significant problems with his PC transferring items to and from phone and usb drive that make the setup apparently unworkable. And while the eventual webpage storage area including image files may be small, any sensible person always keeps a copy of the highest grade image of each coin irrespective that low grade images may be used in the webpage (or may not..). For practical purposes I often have several versions of images - pre-edit, post-edit, and specifically purposed images, eg sized for upload on forum or with different backgrounds or whatever. As Meep will also be photographing tags (a great idea) there'll be a host of other combinations. Lots of storage space. Yes they may all be kept on the cloud or on usbs but given the pc limitations and problems I'm hearing of, having local working files makes some sense.

All this debate is so unnecessary however. For a solid year without stop there have been hundreds of post advising Meepzorp how to cope with barely adequate or possibly inadequate tools (PC, camera, software). We know that he has a substantial coin collection. Having the right tools is just part of the hobby. So maybe sell some coins, and use the proceeds to buy the right tools. This thread seems rather like giving a plasterer extensive advice on how to plaster a wall using a table spoon and a carving knife, rather than just telling him to buy a plasterer's trowel. We all love Meepzorp's cheerful and helpful contributions to Forum, and we are really trying to help with advice. My advice remains unchanged since six months ago: Buy a discount low-end brand new PC and basic camera with macro, and start this immense and important imaging and web project with modern and appropriate equipment.

I agree. Speaking from personal experience, the typical lifespan of a PC is about 3-4 years. 3 years if it's heavily used (like everyday), 4 or maybe 5 if it's not. At 8 years old, the hardware may fail at any time. That will be unnecessarily frustrating for your project. If the hard drive decides to die, you cannot retrieve your work at all.

As for how to remove unnecessary files.. it may be better to look through the folders manually and look at any unusually large ones (i.e. folders containing several GB).

Finally, you may want to check with your niece if there's anything she wants on the PC? It's a little strange if she gave you the PC but may want to keep the pictures.

Offline traveler

• Consul
« Reply #115 on: October 29, 2015, 12:59:33 am »
Hi Meepzorp,

Just to recap my thoughts, if I may.

You will need time for your website project. When I think of coin websites I instantly think of Andrew's on Republican coinage and Doug's on the Severus legionary series. It's certainly not an easy task. It is a mammoth task, especially if you will be writing your own HTML. What's more, you still need to take photographs of all your coins. You will need time, lots of time to work on it. Therefore it'd be good to make sure your equipment is good to go first. It may save you a lot of heartache and frustration.

As was mentioned by others, the best solution is to get a new, budget PC and a new camera. It will instantly solve your equipment problems. If that really isn't possible due to financial constraints, then you need to resolve the existing PC problems. The thing is, if your PC is indeed 8 years old, then you will potentially have both hardware and software problems.

There's nothing that can be done about potential hardware problems (hard disk failure, malfunctioning USB ports, motherboard, graphics card failure, power supply unit failure etc) beyond opening up the PC, identifying which part is faulty, purchasing a replacement and installing it. If a single part connected to the motherboard dies, the whole PC won't start. It's a big hassle. Of course the hardware may not fail, but if the PC is really 8 years old I'd be really surprised if it lasts much longer.

Besides the hardware problems, your PC's software needs to be cleaned up, like the storage space. Besides the storage space issues, over the last 8 years of usage the computer's registry is probably clogged. Depending on whether the previous owner is tech savvy, there might even be spyware on the PC which will make browsing the internet annoying. All this can be resolved if you reinstall Windows, but if you don't have the installation disc that is not really possible.

I'm sorry if I sound disheartening. I do hope you complete your website and I look forward to reading it. I just feel you need to settle the basics (functioning equipment) before proceeding further.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #116 on: October 29, 2015, 02:41:49 am »
Hi folks,

Thanks for all the responses. I'll respond one step at time.

First, yesterday, I figured out how to delete unwanted stuff (files, etc.) from my hard drive. I went through the hard drive for each user (me, my niece, and my sister). And I manually went through every file. It took me about 2 hours. I deleted anything that was no longer needed. I deleted about 300-500 files. Most were small PDF files.

I don't understand why there is such little free GB left. There were no films or videos stored on the hard drive. Everything I deleted was small - less than 50 k, and most were 1-2 K. After all that work, it barely put a dent in my free GB. My free GB went up by a fraction of 1 GB. That's it.

My niece's photos take up slightly more than 1 GB. My sister's photos take up 411 MB. If my math is correct, that means that the total photos on the hard drive take up about 1.5 GB. That by far takes up the largest memory space.

There really wasn't anything else on the hard drive that would take up significant space.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #117 on: October 29, 2015, 02:51:03 am »
Hi folks,

In the past 10 days or so, I studied the code for one of Pete's pages. That was the page I had decided to use for my website template. I knew exactly what to delete and where to delete it. Prior to that, I had studied html, using the link Andrew provided.

When I saved the code to my hard drive and opened it in Notepad, I got thrown a massive curve. There was about 10 times the amount of code. There were thousands of extra symbols in the code (span, etc.) that weren't in the code on Pete's page (from "view source'). The amount of code literally exploded by about ten-fold. That threw me for a loop. It took me about 30 minutes just to delete the code for the dropdown menu.

Something that should have been easy turned into a major project.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #118 on: October 29, 2015, 02:54:19 am »
Meepzorp

I recommend htmlkit (google it) as an excellent html text editor that allows you to see your page immediately as you edit it. Didn't hear you mention it, but I still recommend it.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the tip. I'll consider using it.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #119 on: October 29, 2015, 02:59:24 am »

Meepzorp

Regards

Alex

Hi Alex,

It was never my intention to store all of my photos on the hard drive. I'll be transferring them to a flash drive and then deleting them from the hard drive as I go along.

But I must temporarily store them on the hard drive in order to crop them.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #120 on: October 29, 2015, 03:01:19 am »
You actually only have one hard disk, which is 'partitioned' into two virtual drives, C and D. The D drive probably contains files that would normally be on an installation disk.
Peter

Hi Pete,

I figured that. :)

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #121 on: October 29, 2015, 03:12:13 am »

Meepzorp

Regards

Alex
So he should easily be able to create a large number of web-pages on his hard disk and after they are up-loaded, move them to his flash drive as well.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for suggesting that. I didn't know I could do that. Maybe I'll do it.

Can I store them on the same flash drive the photos will be on? I think it is a 32GB flash drive.

But I don't know if I was going to keep all of the website pages anyway. As you and others pointed out, you really only need one page (or a few) that you keep customizing. Once I upload it, I can change it for my next page, right? It doesn't have to be on my hard drive once it is on Joe's server, right?

I really only need 1 or 2 or 3 website pages on my hard drive at any one given time, right?

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #122 on: October 29, 2015, 03:17:02 am »
Computers do slow down with age due to all sorts of things; start-up programs, unwanted background programs, hard disk fragmention, memory (RAM) problems, etc. The solution would be to re-format the hard disk and reload Windows. However, I have to own up that I have never done that myself!

Hi Pete,

You are right. It is becoming a problem. My computer is 8 years old, and it has significantly slowed down in the past 6 months. And it keeps freezing too.

I can't re-load Windows because I don't have the disk.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #123 on: October 29, 2015, 03:24:49 am »
Andrew,

Peter

Hi Pete,

You are correct. That was exactly my intention all along (mostly).

But I am not saving "raw" images in the flash drive. They are cropped. My flash drive will contain the exact same images that I'll be uploading to Joe's server. In fact, my first batch is done already. They are all cropped and transferred.

I think my flash drive is 32 GB. Is that enough to store approximately 10,000 cropped photos?

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #124 on: October 29, 2015, 03:45:59 am »
Hi folks,

After cleaning it out, here are my updated hard drive numbers:

OS (C:) 24.7 GB free of 136 GB
RECOVERY (D:) 3.59 GB free of 9.76 GB

It looks like I gained 1.3 GB by deleting files.

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity