Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Macrinus Denarius Jupiter Reverse  (Read 835 times)

Offline Crispus

• Legionary
Macrinus Denarius Jupiter Reverse
« on: August 08, 2015, 06:44:28 pm »
Well I'm rather new to collecting and I think I've been duped.  I purchased a coin from ohboykurt on eBay.  I wanted to know more about the coin after I got it and came across this wonderful website.  Now I feel sick.  He is listed on the NFSL and is selling quite a few coins on eBay.  I've attached a picture of the Macrinus.  I guess this is the real eye opener for me to be more careful.  Of course, I'm only assuming it's indeed fake. 

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Macrinus Denarius Jupiter Reverse
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 07:23:13 pm »
It looks bad to me.  Have you checked the counterfeit files here?  Ebay is a minefield of bad coins.  Until you have some years experience and have handled hundreds of coins--and even then really--you only safe bet is buy from ethical, established dealers.  Any hope of getting your money back?

Offline Crispus

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 07:26:15 pm »
I emailed him and this was his response:

"Every coin I buy I look in the www.forumancientcoins.com And I directly ask the seller if it is authentic .
I don't sell fake coins purpisley But if you have any doughts I will except a return . Let me know what you want to do ? Thanks for your contacting me . KC"

- ohboykurt

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 08:20:14 pm »
It's a Lipinoff die match so 100% fake, as has already been noted. And he's on the fake sellers list so yes, he purposely sells fakes. Get your money back and then leave him negative feedback.

Offline Crispus

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 10:38:03 pm »
Thank you for the quick replies.  Awesome website!

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 01:50:53 am »
"ohboykurt" is already on the NFSL

I originally had questioned the authenticity of many of his offerings and received many belligerent responses saying I was on a witch hunt. To show his disdain towards me, he changed his ebay name to "ohboykurt" because my name is Kurt. Guess I shouldn't sign my messages with my real name anymore  ;D

Saying he has checked the fake reports is probably just a ploy to keep suspicious buyers from returning his fake offerings

Offline Crispus

• Legionary
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 05:22:25 pm »
Thank you all!  I have initiated the return process through eBay- stating that this was a fake coin.  I am waiting for my return instructions from eBay.  He still has quite a few listings on eBay.  Once I send this one back we will see if it shows up again.  I wish there was some way to get this coin off the numismatic market (other than me keeping it and losing my money, of course  :P).

Offline Crispus

• Legionary
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 11:52:50 pm »
Quick Update: Coin has been returned to the seller and I have received a refund of my money.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity