Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Did Cleopatra really commit suicide??  (Read 4890 times)

Offline Vitruvius

• Consul
  • Learn from the past to build our future.
Did Cleopatra really commit suicide??
« on: April 29, 2006, 11:04:07 pm »
Hello everyone,

I thought I'd share some thoughts regarding a program I saw the other night on Cleopatra.  They presented an alternate theory on the death of Cleopatra.  As we all know she supposedly died of a venomous snake bite while being held captive by Octavian.  Some experts noted that it's a possibility Octavian had her murdered and staged as a suicide because of a possible threat to his throne.

Does anyone have any thoughts to this??  It sure seems like a reasonable theory...

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Did Cleopatra really commit suicide??
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 01:43:40 am »
I think she had no power to threaten.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Varangian

• Caesar
  • Det er ikke å unngå fare det vi har komme!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 02:14:11 am »
I disagree.  Cleopatra wasn't some goldigger.  She was Queen of Egypt in her own right, and had proven herself time and again a very ambitious and resourceful woman.  By herself she couldn't have done Octavian a lot of damage, but given the Alexandrians were a source of trouble for the entire history of the Empire and Cleopatra's penchant for forming alliances....

I know that if I were in Octavian's shoes, I would have spent a lot of time worrying about what she was stirring up in Egypt

Of course, if she had an accident....

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 04:44:13 am »
I was under the impression Octavian was intent on parading Cleopatra through Rome in his triumph? If so it would seem unlikely he would have her killed before. You also have to remember that in general Rome did not consider it necessary to disguise the execution of enemy leaders something to be hidden.
                                                          LordBest. 8)

Offline Vitruvius

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 11:36:54 am »
Interesting thoughts here...

Cleopatra was a very strong, determined woman.  It seems odd that she would just commit suicide, considering no ptolemies before her had done so.

Also, didn't Octavian have her son killed shortly after her death?

Maybe she wasn't a direct threat, but an alliance with a political power in Rome could've presented a threat...

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 07:46:38 pm »
The humiliation of being driven through Rome in triumph was abhorrent to Cleo, so she bumped herself off, at least if what I've read is accurate. Suicide in the ancient world did not carry the stigma it has today, it wa considered an honourable, noble alternative in a bad situation.
                                                                   LordBest. 8)

Offline David Atherton

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 08:23:59 pm »
Anyone interested in this subject should read the novel 'Cleopatra's Heir' by Gillian Bradshaw. The storyline follows Cleopatra and Julius Caesar's son Caesarion with the 'what if' he lived premise.

A very well constructed book by an author who does her homework and knows how to tell a good story.

Offline Vitruvius

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 10:32:17 pm »
Thanks for the info, Vespasian.  This looks like a good book with great reviews.  I've posted a link for anyone interested:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0765302292/sr=8-1/qid=1146537002/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-9017414-3771336?%5Fencoding=UTF8

All coins are guaranteed for eternity