Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Poll

How do you store your coins?

Flips
170 (46.4%)
Cardboard Holders
47 (12.8%)
Slabbed
9 (2.5%)
Velvet Trays
101 (27.6%)
Other (please specify)
39 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 242

Author Topic: Prefered Storage Method  (Read 84185 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Prefered Storage Method
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2015, 07:13:37 am »
Whatever method you use, I suggest using some system to identify for each coin a corresponding envelope or folder to retain and allow easy reuniting with its old tags, receipts and provenance information. This will be very helpful to you or your heirs if a time comes to sell.  
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Vasiliy O

• Praetorian
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2015, 03:37:32 pm »
Definitely! Is necessary arrange a catalog of the collection.

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2015, 10:41:00 pm »
While I certainly have my share of photo prints, you might also consider a relatively small TV that has a USB input (most recent ones do) set to give a slide show of images of your coins.  Considering the price of low end flat screens now days you will spend more on prints in a short time.  You also can turn it off or switch to a painting image if someone you don't want to see the coins will be in the house.  Of course you could just run the photos on your 80 inch TV when not using it for the intended purpose but I hope your coins are nice enough that they look good blown up 100x.  Few of mine are! 

Offline Jonathan P

• Legionary
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2015, 02:53:16 pm »
I'm an oddball in the "other" category. I have a very small house and 4 children so space and keeping coins away from small hands when I'm not right there with them are an issue.
I store my coins in plastic boxes designed for sewing machine bobbins. Each box is about 4"x5", and has 25 compartments. You can get them in all different sizes but in general, universal bobbin boxes nicely hold coins up to 25mm and large "M style" boxes hold up to 33mm. With these, I can easily see, access, hold and show others my coins, and stack them neatly away in the gun safe when I'm done. I have each box labeled and a spreadsheet and photo album on my computer to reference each coin by box/position.
I used to be a fan of 2x2 flips, coin in one side, attribution card in the other, neatly organized into album pages, but after 20 years, most of my album pages collapsed under the weight, and I am really preferring this method now.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2015, 03:10:11 pm »
Jonathan,

That is a very interesting storage option that I have never seen before.  Thanks for sharing.

One concern would be that the coins can move around quite a bit.  I guess you just have to be careful handling the cases?

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2015, 03:16:54 pm »
I'm an oddball in the "other" category. I have a very small house and 4 children so space and keeping coins away from small hands when I'm not right there with them are an issue.
I store my coins in plastic boxes designed for sewing machine bobbins. Each box is about 4"x5", and has 25 compartments. You can get them in all different sizes but in general, universal bobbin boxes nicely hold coins up to 25mm and large "M style" boxes hold up to 33mm. With these, I can easily see, access, hold and show others my coins, and stack them neatly away in the gun safe when I'm done. I have each box labeled and a spreadsheet and photo album on my computer to reference each coin by box/position.
I used to be a fan of 2x2 flips, coin in one side, attribution card in the other, neatly organized into album pages, but after 20 years, most of my album pages collapsed under the weight, and I am really preferring this method now.

That is cool but being that it's plastic, surely there is PVC that can leak onto them over time?
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Jonathan P

• Legionary
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2015, 03:29:11 pm »
Quote from: Mat on December 01, 2015, 03:16:54 pm
That is cool but being that it's plastic, surely there is PVC that can leak onto them over time?

Singer markets the cases as Acid free BPA free polycarbonate. Not sure, but I don't think there's pvc in polycarbonate?

Jonathan,

That is a very interesting storage option that I have never seen before.  Thanks for sharing.

One concern would be that the coins can move around quite a bit.  I guess you just have to be careful handling the cases?

Shawn

For the most part, they don't rattle around when walking through the house. I can see how travel would be a concern, and would make a mess, but I don't plan on taking my coins anywhere.

Thanks

Offline Jordan Montgomery

• Consul
    • Gallery of my Roman Republican coin collection
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2016, 12:48:14 am »
I've attached a photo of how I now store my coins. I previously used printed tags and 2x2 SAFLIPs. While I liked the printed tags and the SAFLIPs, they scuffed and broke much too easily, especially for larger coins like Æ asses and the like. Additionally, the printed tags made it difficult to fully write out monograms and ligatures in legends, and while it's a small thing, I really like my tags to have those. The solution I settled upon was archival paper envelopes, with my usual format of Crawford number on the top right(used to sort my collection) and my collection number on the back of the flap. For coins with additional dealer or old collection tags, this information is kept in a cut-in-half flip pocket and either on one of the tags or on a slip of paper I've written written my collection number so they can be easily matched up if need be. I've recently scanned all these old tags and envelopes and put them on my dropbox with all my other coin files as well, just in case they were to get separated.
Gallery of my collection with notes and discussion of Republican history and numismatics

Offline Vasiliy O

• Praetorian
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2016, 02:19:11 am »
Jordan Montgomery, very interesting. Thanks!

Offline Jordan Montgomery

• Consul
    • Gallery of my Roman Republican coin collection
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2016, 12:06:07 pm »
One thing I neglected to mention last night: the white bags are dessicant packs. They're hardly needed where I live, but where I collect bronze I like to take all necessary steps to protect from bronze disease and these are pretty cheap, about $10 for 50 or 100 of them I believe. The only thing to keep in mind is that they need to be "recharged" occasionally by heating in the oven. I use a small convection oven for this and run it at about 225 for several hours.
Gallery of my collection with notes and discussion of Republican history and numismatics

Offline Ricardo R

• Legionary
« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2019, 11:03:04 am »
I like to put it in leuchtturm coin holders mostly, but the best ones in slabs quadrum and then on drawers.

I'm still drawing a wooden furniture as an exhibitor or showcase like museum for part of my collection.

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2022, 09:02:44 am »
With cardboard holders one can keep comments as near as possible to the proper coin and a coin with comment is a living coin, I find.
The choice for carboard holders came with my album "Identifying, Localising, Decyphering and Dating Coins". These coins needed comment ::)!
I adhered to the same system when I started my album "Greeks and Romans".
An album is handy for stockage and transport, I find, and also to look at your coins both sides.

Comments on the carboard holder have their requirements however :o!
I only collect coins struck in medal alignment. I cannot have verso pages in which the reverse sides are all upside down, opposite to the comments.

See below:

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2022, 09:07:09 am »
Two more pictures to the message above:

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2022, 07:38:54 pm »
Very interesting discussion, I am glad Jan P commented so I would see it. I answered Flips (archival ones from Forum), but I put my flips in those Lechuturm cases with four "velvet" trays in each (60 coins each). My collections is in three of these so far and I will need another one or two before I finish identifying all of my "loose" coins from lots. So, I guess I use two methods at the same time. I have my moderns that aren't worth anything (basically my travel pocket change) in the stapled 2 x 2 cardboard/plastic cheap holders that are in pages in the album. I would never put good coins in these cheapo things. I do not like the albums for anything I want to handle.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity