Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Edessa - Decius or Herennius Etruscus  (Read 722 times)

Offline Sosius

• Caesar
Edessa - Decius or Herennius Etruscus
« on: November 24, 2010, 02:31:25 pm »
After reviewing The Coinage of Edessa in Mesopotamia Ernest Babelon. Paris, 1904 Translated by Dane ("Helvetica“) Kurth, April 2010. I believe that this coin is Trajan Decius, but the legend is closer to the coin discussed in the text that Mionnet attributed to Herennius Etruscus

Diameter = 20mm
O:  :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Upsilon_2: :Greek_Tau:(or  :Greek_Gamma::Greek_Delta: :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Kappa: :Greek_Iota: C C :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Beta:, Radiate bust right
R:  :Greek_Kappa: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Lambda:  :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Delta: :Greek_Iota: CC :Greek_Alpha:, Turreted bust left

What do you all think?  Any opinions or feedback on this coin would be appreciated!

Cliff
Sosius

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=24203
650+ coins and about 2/3 done--I have a coin problem

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Edessa - Decius or Herennius Etruscus
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 03:02:22 pm »
A coin of Herennius Etruscus may surface, but I have not ever seen one. The obv. legend of your coin is Decius' legend in Edessa as it also appears on the variant with the laureate bust, so I would say there's no reason to attribute the coin to someone else.
Regards
Gert

Offline Sosius

• Caesar
Re: Edessa - Decius or Herennius Etruscus
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 04:35:12 pm »
Thanks, Gert. 
Sosius

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=24203
650+ coins and about 2/3 done--I have a coin problem

All coins are guaranteed for eternity