Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tetrarchy/Constantine family tree  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Tetrarchy/Constantine family tree
« on: April 07, 2021, 01:23:11 pm »
I saw someone over on CoinTalk asking for a family tree of Constantine, and oddly there really doesn't seem to be a decent one online, so here's one I recently put together myself - feel free to use it for whatever use you like.

The green triangles, and lines, represent marriages. It's a slightly unusual format I realize, but given the oddities of the relationships (e.g. Constantine's wife Fausta being half-sister to his step-mother Theodora!) I couldn't find any online family tree software that would work, so had to use GraphViz. It took quite a bit of work to untangle into a clean layout without crossed lines!

Note that Delmatius' name is really Flavius Dalmatius, same as his father (aka Dalmatius the censor), but I stuck with Delmatius since that's how he's normally known.

I've omitted a few known siblings that don't play any role in the tetrarchy, specifically Valeria Maximilla's brother Candidianus, and Constantius's additional children with Theodora: Anastasia, Eutropia and Hannibilianus (not to be confused with Delmatius' brother, Hannibilianus rex regum, who appears on coins).

Click to enlarge.

Ben

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
Re: Tetrarchy/Constantine family tree
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 01:59:34 pm »
It took quite a bit of work to untangle into a clean layout without crossed lines!

Tree is very clean indeed but you can make an exception and link Hannibalianus and Constantina.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 02:51:36 pm »
Tree is very clean indeed but you can make an exception and link Hannibalianus and Constantina.

I tried adding it a few ways. I think this looks best, and keeps it compact.

Ben

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 04:57:36 pm »
Updated, above.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 09:19:33 am »
Nice.  There are charts in books like Jones but you are right, I haven't seen anything good online.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 06:55:58 pm »
Talk about horrendous family dinners!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President