Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Poll

How do you store your coins?

Flips
170 (46.4%)
Cardboard Holders
47 (12.8%)
Slabbed
9 (2.5%)
Velvet Trays
101 (27.6%)
Other (please specify)
39 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 242

Author Topic: Prefered Storage Method  (Read 84169 times)

Offline Blindado

• Consul
Re: Prefered Storage Method
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2013, 08:13:00 pm »
Like areich, I want my collection where I can enjoy it and easily handle the coins, and I like to have them available to show them casually to my visitors without dragging out shelves or binders. The case is mahogany, and I added a bank of lights from Home Depot. I used to have a velvet surface, but even ambient vibrations used to move the coins around a bit. I tested wood with a grain running the length of the rows of coins, and that fixed the problem. I've been using the display case for more than twenty years, and I can discern no interaction between the wood and the metal. The coins in the top row, by the way, are in this gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5012. The next seven rows are primarily in this gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1107. I'm slowly adding more, such as this one: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5080. Cheers!

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2013, 11:59:05 pm »
Blindado
What a great display of what appears to be your entire coin collection in a single picture. I have to commend you for the display concept (who else dares to show their entire collection in a single display case), its realisation and the choice and quality of coins. If you could only arrange for a high resolution photo it would make a great 100% scale poster. I only wonder at the security implications. I cant imagine displaying such nice coins at home.

Marcus Lepidus I just noticed your old post about ziplock bags. Wouldn't they be made of or include PVC?

Regarding paper envelopes I understand they are considered good for long term storage though rarely used nowadays. And you can write on them too. I wouldn't be concerned about abrasion because the coins lie still even when moving boxes around. Far more dangerous are the felt inserts used in wooden cabinets which can be very abrasive, as each time you pull out a tray the coins shift. Putting your paper tickets under coins in any tray system can also degrade them, again remembering that coins shift each time you move a tray, unlike envelope or flip systems. Archival storage in trays therefore usually includes a clear non-pvc separator between coin and ticket.

This is a very old thread dating to 2005 but with some great collection photos and advice.

Offline Blindado

• Consul
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2013, 01:06:33 pm »
Thank you, Andrew. That represents 25 years of collecting.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2013, 01:22:09 pm »
Thank you, Andrew. That represents 25 years of collecting.

I think everyone should look at Blindados picture. It shows in one snap what 25 dedicates years of collecting can achieve. Although the coins are not in my collecting area, who wouldn't want to have this at home? Very well done.

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2013, 01:38:48 pm »
Hi Andrew it is a nice explanation I accepted  :)

I used a tray' s for a long time ( as you see above), earliar I used a paper (small coin size , selfmade) envelope, but after a few hundred coins the envelope system was complicate to used every day if I look after some coins . That was the time when I changed to the BEBA system , which are easy usable and confortable. Any way the problem only the paper ticket as you mentioned, because the long time use ( every day ) , not good the first class coin , because of friction ...,
Finaly what is your suggestion , which material you can use beetween the coins and the tickets ???
(as you mentioned non-pvc separator , but which material ???)
Again thank you. :)

Best
Regards
quadrans
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2013, 02:20:41 pm »
I have been giving thought to switching to abafil trays lately. For a separator, to eliminate friction between a coin and its ticket, I would cut-up non-PVC coin flips (Saflips or whatever you have). Each flip should provide four 1-7/8 inch separators, which would suffice for most ancients besides Aes Grave.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2013, 02:38:08 pm »
Quote from: Carausius on October 16, 2013, 02:20:41 pm
I have been giving thought to switching to abafil trays lately. For a separator, to eliminate friction between a coin and its ticket, I would cut-up non-PVC coin flips (Saflips or whatever you have). Each flip should provide four 1-7/8 inch separators, which would suffice for most ancients besides Aes Grave.

Good answer. I've seen these acrylic-looking squares and didn't know where they came from. Chopping up a Saflip would work but there's probably a cheaper alternative. I don't keep my tickets in my Abafil trays; to date I've seen no issue with rubbing against the Abafil felt (whereas I had bad issues with wool felt in a wooden cabinet). Depending how you store your Abafil trays - mine are permanently right side up even in transport because I use the large boxes with the handle on top, rather than the briefcase style - coin movement may or may not be a concern.

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2013, 03:12:20 pm »
Thank you very much both of you.

:)
 +++

regards
Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2013, 03:25:04 pm »
If I display like this, my seven year old will prob have great fun trying to buy ice cream with them :D

Great looking collection!

Offline Sosius

• Caesar
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2013, 03:18:38 pm »
Like areich, I want my collection where I can enjoy it and easily handle the coins, and I like to have them available to show them casually to my visitors without dragging out shelves or binders. The case is mahogany, and I added a bank of lights from Home Depot. I used to have a velvet surface, but even ambient vibrations used to move the coins around a bit. I tested wood with a grain running the length of the rows of coins, and that fixed the problem. I've been using the display case for more than twenty years, and I can discern no interaction between the wood and the metal. The coins in the top row, by the way, are in this gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5012. The next seven rows are primarily in this gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1107. I'm slowly adding more, such as this one: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5080. Cheers!

Very impressive collection.  I love seeing it all together like that!
Sosius

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=24203
650+ coins and about 2/3 done--I have a coin problem

Offline Sosius

• Caesar
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2014, 09:47:17 pm »
Following the advice of many FORVM members, I am moving my collection to coin cabinets. I love having my coins so accessible and in such an attractive I highly recommend it to any collector of ancients. 

I am working with cmcdon on a couple more repurposed coin cabinets, which I hope to share with you soon.

Happy New Year!
Sosius
Sosius

Offline Sosius

• Caesar
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2014, 10:04:36 pm »
And my smaller Byzantine cabinet. Labels are from prior owner, who collected English coins.
Sosius

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2014, 11:49:24 pm »
Very nice, Sosius.  If I kept my coins at home, I would like a cabinet.  Any idea how old yours are? 

Offline Sosius

• Caesar
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2014, 09:27:39 am »
Thanks, Michael. I'm not sure how old the cabinets are. I would assume they are at least 50 years old, possibly older.

Sosius
Sosius

Offline chuy1530

• Praetorian
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2014, 07:11:15 pm »
I started collecting about a year and a half ago and here is a picture of how I have them displayed right now. The picture is a few months old so there's actually another large case and they're more full but you'll get the idea.

I like reorganizing them, and right now I have Rome in two cases chronologically, Greece in one case chronologically, and 'Other' in one case by culture. They're held up by a pin which unfortunately puts a little hole in the information card (I use the ones that come with the coins here and make my own for others) but it's the best way I've found so far. My collection is starting to outgrow my wife's patience for having more and more cases on the dining room wall though.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2014, 10:36:31 am »
That's a very attractive display. My wife would never allow it! Do you get concerned that by displaying your coins so openly, you might incite theft?

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2014, 10:58:17 am »
It looks a little messy for my tastes (don't be insulted, I can't have things not aligned properly, it would drive me crazy).  Have you thought about replacing the backs of the frames with canvas, and attaching the coins like one would in a museum, with well-placed pins?  

Offline Britannicus

• Consul
  • Sapere aude.
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2014, 11:15:44 am »
It looks a little messy for my tastes (don't be insulted, I can't have thinks not aligned properly, it would drive me crazy).  Have you thought about replacing the backs of the frames with canvas, and attaching the coins like one would in a museum, with well-placed pins? 
Molinari, these are some good ideas, although I would think time consuming to execute properly.  +++

What is a source for museum-style pins? In museums I've seen the pins holding display coins bent over the edges of the coins to secure them, and covered with some type of transparent, vinyl-like material (assuming archival). This material prevents the metal of the coins from coming into contact with the bare metal of the pins.

chuy1530, it does look like a few of the coins in your display are stored in PVC-laden soft flips. Have you considered replacing those with hard, PVC-free flips? Long-term storage in the soft flips can damage the coins due to the PVC reacting with the metal.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2014, 11:50:18 am »
I use Gaylord, but I don't know if they have these pins.

http://www.gaylord.com/lobby_gaylordmart.asp?

I think you could just use regular pins and perhaps bend the ends with a pair of pliers, if need be. 

Offline chuy1530

• Praetorian
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2014, 12:29:28 pm »
Regarding theft, it is a bit of a concern, but for me personally the value of seeing them every day outweighs that. None of the coins in my collection are extremely valuable (two are worth ~300, the rest are under 100) so while it would be heartbreaking it wouldn't be financially ruinous if it happened. If I ever get to where I have coins worth considerably more I don't think I'd display them this way.

They aren't quite straight in that picture. They're a bit better now but using that method it's tough to get them exactly straight. If my 'display collection' ever levels out to where I'm not rearranging and adding to it every couple weeks I might look at using a second pin to keep everything from hanging around.

Same goes for the museum style pin set up. Right now it would just be too much of a hassle to rearrange them and what not when I made additions. Someday though, maybe.

Here's a more up to date picture.

Offline Britannicus

• Consul
  • Sapere aude.
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2014, 12:49:49 pm »
chuy1530, despite some of the suggestions worth considering I think what you've got going on here is pretty darn cool. It's certainly a creative solution for enjoying your coins on a day-to-day basis. Thanks for sharing!   +++

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2014, 01:00:22 pm »
You might consider storage trays as an alternative. Trays allow you to see and touch your coins freely, without glass and plastic in the way. It is also a bit less daunting to rearrange coins in trays, when needed. Also a bit easier to conceal trays, if theft ever becomes a bigger concern for you. Good luck!

Offline chuy1530

• Praetorian
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2014, 01:13:13 pm »
Funny you mention it, I'm looking at trays at this very second. If I can get a good photography set-up I'd like to do a sort of mixed set up where I have a few (mostly lower value) coins out just like the ones I have now, and the rest well-photographed and printed out on nice photo-paper pinned up in place of the pictured coin. There then would be a number (or something, I haven't 100% thought it through) so you could find that coin easily in the trays. It's a bit of a project and I don't have a lot of time right now but long term I think it's the best mixture of accessibility, safety, and visual attractiveness I can think of.

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2014, 04:43:26 pm »
I am thinking of just make a good photo book of my coins and leave it as a coffee table book...

Offline Vasiliy O

• Praetorian
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2014, 10:18:39 am »
I prefer gray 29 x 29 cm plastic trays in boxes ("BEBA" - system), without partitions or sleazes, flips, blisters and all these awful coverings and surroundings some people may add (so not like the fillings of the depicted one).

They are sorted but all together in one big area and i have to take care when i move the tray.

Sometimes i create improvisional partitions by old pencils or flat pieces of wood to separate one or two groups of coins from the rest of the tray.

regards

I fully support. This is a very a convenient system.
I prefer of these boxes for coins
http://www.ebay.de/itm/303198-Leuchtturm-Munzbox-fur-6-Euro-Kursmunzensatze-rauchfarben-/150769992219?pt=M%C3%BCnzen_Medaillen&hash=item231a97821b

All coins are guaranteed for eternity