Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ex museum Hadrian?  (Read 2396 times)

Offline Caesarea

• Consul
ex museum Hadrian?
« on: December 11, 2013, 12:56:38 pm »
I have a coin and until i photographed it, i had not seen the lettering.....
Firstly, does anyone know what the coin is?
and secondly, what would the lettering have been written in? will it come off/should I remove it?
maybe a museum had the coin once......

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: ex museum Hadrian?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 01:18:12 pm »

Yes, Hadrian's As, like this:

http://www.coinproject.com/coin_detail.php?coin=241559

The writing indicates that your coin was in some collection.
Don't remove these numbers as they add interest to the coin.

Pekka K

Offline Caesarea

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 01:46:43 pm »
Thanks Pekka, I hadn't thought of leaving it there! sounds sensible though.
regards Pete

Offline manpace

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 02:41:04 pm »

Yes, Hadrian's As, like this:

http://www.coinproject.com/coin_detail.php?coin=241559

The writing indicates that your coin was in some collection.
Don't remove these numbers as they add interest to the coin.

Pekka K

Should I be writing on MY coins?

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 02:57:34 pm »
If you do, try something more interesting. Some cryptic phrases to spark the imagination.
Andreas Reich

Offline manpace

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 03:38:46 pm »
If you do, try something more interesting. Some cryptic phrases to spark the imagination.

This should get the tongues wagging.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 03:45:00 pm »
Should I be writing on MY coins?

India ink and a cursive 19th century handwriting style or an old German script are essential. Perhaps try it out with something that hints of a long forgotten collection, lost to WW2 bombing or dispersed in the 18th century. Whatever happened to the Gotha collection? Or that of the Spanish bishop and 16th century numismatic scholar Antonio Augusto? Surely they wrote on their coins. Here's a couple of mine.

If you are really adventurous you could try scratched graffiti. That was dead popular in Roman times and inevitably disfigures and devalues coins, but with a bit of imagination you might hit on a bit of graffiti that means something. Deface a Julius Caesar portrait coin with an added crown on his head and a dagger stuck in his throat and the letters BRVT EID MAR in rough scratchings.

Offline manpace

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 04:10:04 pm »
If you are really adventurous you could try scratched graffiti. That was dead popular in Roman times and inevitably disfigures and devalues coins, but with a bit of imagination you might hit on a bit of graffiti that means something. Deface a Julius Caesar portrait coin with an added crown on his head and a dagger stuck in his throat and the letters BRVT EID MAR in rough scratchings.

Now see this is your experience shines through.  I would probably have done something silly like getting an EID MAR and scratching "he doth have a lean and hungry look" when it's NOT EVEN CASSIUS ON THAT COIN.

...though some things are too painful to even contemplate...

(Are there ancient examples of such graffitos on Julius Caesar coins?  That's spectacular...)

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 04:16:42 pm »
Nothing spectacular or with an obvious meaning (or a guarantee that they're ancient):

http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?search=%28julius+iulius%29+caesar+graffi*&view_mode=1&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ol=1&sort=&c=&a=&l=#35
Andreas Reich

Offline manpace

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 04:20:57 pm »
Nothing spectacular or with an obvious meaning (or a guarantee that they're ancient):

http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?search=%28julius+iulius%29+caesar+graffi*&view_mode=1&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ol=1&sort=&c=&a=&l=#35

Thanks for the link.  It DOES seem a bit trenchant to scratch out the S of SPQR, if that is indeed what happened here...

http://www.acsearch.info/ext_image.html?id=352475

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 04:40:35 pm »

This should get the tongues wagging.

Probably best to add two words to your graffiti - NOT A ....  ???  That would make it suitably cryptic while in fact setting the record straight.  :)
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

drifter182

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 04:51:16 pm »
I don't know. Finding a coin with this kind of writing on it would be one thing, but I'd feel like I was ruining it if I was doing it myself.

Offline manpace

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 05:05:07 pm »
I don't know. Finding a coin with this kind of writing on it would be one thing, but I'd feel like I was ruining it if I was doing it myself.

That's Andrew's wonderfully understated British humor at work.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 05:27:44 pm »

That's Andrew's wonderfully understated British humor at work.

Grrr... Irish. (no offence taken)

Offline manpace

• Caesar
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 05:37:28 pm »

!!!  Sorry, you don't have a very strong accent.  Should have taken the safe route and said "UK" humor, though maybe there's some insult hiding in there too...

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 06:11:16 pm »

!!!  Sorry, you don't have a very strong accent.  Should have taken the safe route and said "UK" humor, though maybe there's some insult hiding in there too...

Emm... OMG that's even worse, much much worse. Basic geography lessons are needed. Ireland is not part of the UK. It's currency is not the pound but the euro, and before that the Punt. It didn't fight on the allied side in WW2, but (shamefully) offered sympathy to the Axis side. It's had a President for most of the last century, not a king or queen. It's not even, and never has been, part of the Commonwealth. I wonder what else they taught you in school geography lessons. That Canada is part of the USA? That Austria is part of Germany? That New Zealand is part of Australia? That Pakistan is part of India? This time, some offence has been taken (a little), but I guess I'll get over it, as the degree of offence is exceeded by amazement about your understanding of geography. Wink!
 ;)

Offline manpace

• Caesar
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 06:24:15 pm »

!!!  Sorry, you don't have a very strong accent.  Should have taken the safe route and said "UK" humor, though maybe there's some insult hiding in there too...

Emm... OMG that's even worse, much much worse. Basic geography lessons are needed. Ireland is not part of the UK. It's currency is not the pound but the euro, and before that the Punt. It didn't fight on the allied side in WW2, but (shamefully) offered sympathy to the Axis side. It's had a President for most of the last century, not a king or queen. It's not even, and never has been, part of the Commonwealth. I wonder what else they taught you in school geography lessons. That Canada is part of the USA? That Austria is part of Germany? That New Zealand is part of Australia? That Pakistan is part of India? This time, some offence has been taken (a little), but I guess I'll get over it, as the degree of offence is exceeded by amazement about your understanding of geography. Wink!
 ;)

I guess my humor is too understated also.  Being the ignorant ape can backfire...

I've only a few "Irish" ancestors and they were mostly Ulster Scots, passing through for a generation or two on their way to being kidnapped by Indians on the Ohio River...

Oh, and no joke "Canada" is a small town up north where everyone talks funny and everyone knows everyone.  "Oh, you're from Alberta?  I know a dentist in Toronto named Bob Johnson - have you guys met?"

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 06:27:10 pm »
Oh, and no joke "Canada" is a small town up north where everyone talks funny and everyone knows everyone.  "Oh, you're from Alberta?  I know a dentist in Toronto named Bob Johnson - have you guys met?"

Yeah that happens to me too. And the maddening thing is, when you do know the guy!

PS. biggest untold secret about Ireland - we actually really really like the English (yes, I did say English this time, and not British or UK). England is a very civilised country, and it's where I now live. Their sense of humour may have rubbed off on me a bit. They also made lovely Anglo-Saxon pennies, the finest coins in the world at that time.

Offline manpace

• Caesar
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 06:30:19 pm »
Yeah that happens to me too. And the maddening thing is, when you do know the guy!

PS. biggest untold secret about Ireland - we actually really really like the English (yes, I did say English, and not British). England is a very civilised country, and it's where I now live. Their sense of humour may have rubbed off on me a bit.

That's where I went wrong, since I remember from a different thread that you live in London and that's why you bought your awesome Anonymous instead of a car (still enthusiastically hoping for an update on that!), because of course only English people live in London, right.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 06:53:05 pm »

PS. biggest untold secret about Ireland - we actually really really like the English (yes, I did say English, and not British). England is a very civilised country, and it's where I now live. Their sense of humour may have rubbed off on me a bit.

That's where I went wrong, since I remember from a different thread that you live in London and that's why you bought your awesome Anonymous instead of a car (still enthusiastically hoping for an update on that!), because of course only English people live in London, right.

A reasonable assumption! Yes I remember that thread. I swapped my car for a Dupondius because there's good buses and tubes in London.

For the wider Forum audience who may not understand the differences and wish to avoid minefields:

UK = the political entity of England, Wales, Scotland, and a small residual fraction of Ireland (those who live in that residual fraction can choose either UK or Irish nationality and passport)

Ireland = used interchangeably for both the entire island of Ireland, and for the political entity which is the major part of Ireland (i.e. the independent country that uses the euro, has a president etc.)

Irish = any person from the island of Ireland, regardless of which entity (north or south) they live in (but a small minority may consider themselves both Irish and British, see below*).

Eire = do not ever use (politically incorrect, despite it being written on the coin types), it's a term historically used to describe Ireland in a way to imply it's somehow less than a full country, and comes from a time when Ireland briefly had Dominion status, akin to Canada.

English = those UK citizens who live in or are from England, and consider themselves English

British = those UK citizens who give allegiance to the UK political entity (many don't). This is also the usual self-described nationality of English people of non-English (e.g. Caribbean) ethnic origins. It's also possible* for a person from northern Ireland to describe themselves as both Irish (geographically) and British (allegiance). Oddly (who says it has to be logical?) that's perfectly politically correct.

British Isles = do not ever use (politically incorrect as it implies British sovereignty). Instead say "UK and Ireland", or "British and Irish" if referring to nationality, or cultural similarities

Generally, it's just safest not to assume ... also, this is an Irishman's perspective. Those born in the UK may not even have thought over the sensitivities.

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
    • Cape Coral Real Estate FL
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 07:03:29 pm »
And do not even get started with the Welsh or call them a taffy
Highest Rated Zillow agent in the County

Offline manpace

• Caesar
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 07:06:39 pm »
And do not even get started with the Welsh or call them a taffy

If I have a Welsh ancestor can I use the word taffy?  (Like I hear black people with the n-word occasionally...)

drifter182

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 07:06:50 pm »
Eire = do not ever use (politically incorrect, despite it being written on the coin types), it's a term historically used to describe Ireland in a way to imply it's somehow less than a full country.

Hmm. I didn't know it was considered offensive, and I'm part Irish! That term comes up a lot in crossword puzzles here in America. Good to know.

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
    • Cape Coral Real Estate FL
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 07:43:06 pm »
No if you called a Welsh man a taffy he would probably beat you up, I am English born in Liverpool lived in Wales now in the USA so I have no idea where I am from any more.

People I meet often think I am Australian when I go back to visit my parents everyone thinks I am an American.

Highest Rated Zillow agent in the County

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 07:51:18 pm »
Hmm. I didn't know it was considered offensive, and I'm part Irish! That term comes up a lot in crossword puzzles here in America. Good to know.

Yeah, language uses have changed, mirroring political developments and sensitivities. Terms suggesting Ireland as somehow subsidiary have vanished e.g. Eire or British Isles, and close attention is paid to using the correct words in the right contexts for the political entities (UK, Ireland) and nationalities (Irish, British, English, Welsh, Scottish). Getting the language right has been an essential part of the Irish peace process, so its not to be scoffed at. Anyway, enough of geography ... back to coins.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity