Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Need help with identification of my coin  (Read 589 times)

Amazon93

Need help with identification of my coin
« on: November 07, 2013, 02:15:51 pm »
Hello!
A year ago i found what i think is a roman coin.
I have a bad camera so i cannot take a picture of it but i will try to explain whats visible on it.

On one side:
A typical face that you see on most coins, the man appears to have a feather on his head.
the writings on this side is - 11 TE MAGNVS

On the other side: a boat with a cross on the top, picture a half moon with a pole in the middle and ropes going up to the cross.
The writing - EIMVS (maybe HEIMVS ) STY....( maybe STYP or STYD )

If im correct TE MAGNUS means The great?

It is made of bronze and is about 20mm in diameter.

I'm very curious of what it could be!  :)

Sorry if my english is bad, i'm from Sweden

/Tony

Offline manpace

• Caesar
Re: Need help with identification of my coin
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 02:33:13 pm »
Even a "bad camera" can take good pictures.  Does your camera have a "close up mode"?

Amazon93

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 03:14:38 pm »
Alright with some light and a phone camera i got some photos :)

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Andreas Reich

Amazon93

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 04:20:58 pm »
This is not an ancient coin, or a coin at all. The style looks like that of a cheap reproduction/fantasy coin. I can't make out enough to say who it is supposed to depict. But the good news is, ancient coins can be had very cheaply, e.g. one of Constantine the Great.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?param=32708q00.jpg&vpar=187&zpg=38122
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?param=57890q00.jpg&vpar=187&zpg=70091
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?param=59837q00.jpg&vpar=187&zpg=71903

Ok, i found it in my garden in the soil so i'm pretty sure its a real coin.
I live in place where theres probably more historical finds than anywhere else in the world.
My guess is that it's from somewhere around 1300-1400 AD

But thanks anyway!

Offline Kurt E

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 05:19:50 pm »
I think you will find that the experts, like Andreas, on this Forum will be uniform in their agreement on this piece.  I would not be so quick to dismiss their opinion, and years of experience,  just because you found it in the ground.  It may have been buried for years or decades, but it certainly does not appear ancient.  If you prove it is, please return and educate us all, but it will likely prove to be folly.

Offline manpace

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 06:09:12 pm »
I live in place where theres probably more historical finds than anywhere else in the world.

One thing to note is how round and regular the coin's rim is.  That means it's a machine-made milled object and not medieval or ancient.  From when I couldn't say, but probably the past couple hundred years.

And just because it's not a "coin" doesn't mean it has no value or enjoyment potential.

EDIT: Is that a Masonic symbol?

Amazon93

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 07:24:55 pm »

One thing to note is how round and regular the coin's rim is.  That means it's a machine-made milled object and not medieval or ancient.  From when I couldn't say, but probably the past couple hundred years.

And just because it's not a "coin" doesn't mean it has no value or enjoyment potential.

EDIT: Is that a Masonic symbol?

I'm no expert in this area so i really don't know, it has similar construction looks like the Swedish coins from the 1600s.

I think it's really old by looking at the wear and condition, but i guess it's hard to know.

They probably had the skills to make a coin round in the medieval times, if they really wanted to.

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 09:23:08 pm »
You should start off by taking a decent picture of it, not at an angle, and add weight and size.

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
    • Cape Coral Real Estate FL
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 09:36:16 pm »
Its definitely not ancient as its too round and as mentioned is milled its also not medieval though it could still be 100 years old or more but most certainly not ancient
Highest Rated Zillow agent in the County

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 04:05:38 am »
As others have said, try to take better pictures. Try a flatbed scanner if you can find one. They usually don't take pretty pictures but good enough for an ID. All I can read are MAGNVS and PRIMVS(?)  and that isn't enough for a search. I can't even tell what the reverse is supposed to show.
Andreas Reich

Amazon93

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 07:24:21 am »
Alright guys
Sorry if some of you thought i just ignored the experts, which i didn't. just wanted more opinions.
I will trust you and accept the facts. I guess it could be a fake from the 1800-1900s.
But it's probably no point in investigating deeper on this object.

The reason i really thought it was real is because i've found a belt buckle and some other medieval things on the same place, and those things are real :)

Thanks for all the answers, i know where to write if i really find a ancient coin!

/Tony

Offline Zaph0dd

• Consul
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 07:40:22 am »
With the style, and crudeness, ild guess it to be a private political token from 1900-1920.

The lettering and reverse seem very poorly done, but the portrait is a half decent job, for a amateur die.

Perfectly circular coinage, machine struck, has been around since at least the 1500s, but this almost certainly isnt.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity