Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: bad opinions about a shop  (Read 1078 times)

Andrzej

bad opinions about a shop
« on: February 15, 2010, 04:20:00 pm »
Hi, I bought two beauties from a shop some time ago. Now I have just read some bad opinions about this shop and so I've become suspicious. Do you think they may be fakes?
Appreciate your help.

Torsten

Re: bad opinions about a shop
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 07:23:09 am »
maybe you can tell us the name of the shop?

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 07:48:27 am »
Unless the shop is on the notorious fake seller list or is being nominated for the list, names should not be mentioned.  First we discuss the coins.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline byzcoll

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 08:44:10 am »
Hi,

I only can give some comments on the byzantine coin:

The type is Sear 1830, histamenon nomisma of Constantine IX, mid 11th century.

Before you can buy such a coin with confidence you have to know some properties:

First, these coins are cup shaped, but yours looks quite flat, although that may be the lighting of the photo. Is your coin a cup or a disk?
Second, the weight should be close to 4.40 g. Have you checked the weight?
Third, the usual diameter of this type of histamenon is 26-28 mm, deviations possible of course, going up to a diameter of 30 mm or so. What is the diameter of your coin?
Fourth, the style of this type varies widely. On first glance some features, especially the head of Christ look a little bit odd, but not alarming.

So, if you can give more information, an estimate of authenticity will be much easier.

byzcoll

Andrzej

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 12:42:45 pm »
thx byzcol, the description you gave matches the coin (4.29 gm; 27 mm; and cup shape). what about the claudius? thanks again for knowledgeable answers.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 12:52:57 pm »
The Claudius looks authentic to me in the image.

What are its weight and die axis ? (for my files)
Curtis Clay

Andrzej

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 02:20:33 pm »
hi curtisclay,
I really appreciate your opinion. The Claudius is
10.47 g, 26.7 x 28.0 g.
die axis is 6 o'clock.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity