Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 15mm coin identification help  (Read 1122 times)

Online Gianluca G

• Consul
15mm coin identification help
« on: November 15, 2021, 02:19:37 pm »
Hello,

weight 1,4 grams

diameter (considering the greatest extension) 15 mm

metal: not magnetic

Thanks for your help

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: 15mm coin identification help
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 02:21:58 pm »
You have posted three coins that look very much like they come from a common source, and none look ancient to me.

Online Gianluca G

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 02:26:16 pm »
Yes, I was awarded them years ago by the [REMOVED BY ADMIN]. I think the company name is already a guarantee, I don't understand why you think they are not ancient.

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 10:08:43 pm »
Hi GG,

I agree with djm. Your 3 coins all look like counterfeits. They don't look like genuine ancient coins to me either.

Meepzorp

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 08:14:56 am »
You say,
I was awarded them years ago by [REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Does that mean you won them in an auction? You bid on them and won the auction and all these years later you still have no idea what they are, in spite of the fact that there would have been detailed descriptions in the catalogue? Or did you win them as a prize in some sort of competition? Either way it makes no sense.

Richard
Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 08:17:41 am »
The three coins you have posted are almost certainly made in the same workshop.  They flans have the same form, shape, "folded edges", striations in the field, patina, etc.

They also don't match any genuine ancient or medieval coins I have seen, or clearly that others have seen too.

That means that not only are they not ancient but they don't appear to be copying an ancient prototype.

They could be fantasy coins - made to sell as ancients but not based on anything real.

But given their religious iconography it seems possible to me that they were made for some religious purpose in the past couple hundred of years or so.  Perhaps something form some Christian church, shrine, organization, etc.  In that case they would be "genuine" but not genuine ancient or medieval coins.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2021, 08:20:54 am »
I just saw the other pseudo-Greek coin which is clearly just a modern fantasy.

If these were from the same lot then I am afraid it makes it more likely that these other three are just pseudo-Byzantine modern fantasies.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Online Gianluca G

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 08:36:24 am »
The three coins you have posted are almost certainly made in the same workshop.  They flans have the same form, shape, "folded edges", striations in the field, patina, etc.

They also don't match any genuine ancient or medieval coins I have seen, or clearly that others have seen too.

That means that not only are they not ancient but they don't appear to be copying an ancient prototype.

They could be fantasy coins - made to sell as ancients but not based on anything real.

But given their religious iconography it seems possible to me that they were made for some religious purpose in the past couple hundred of years or so.  Perhaps something form some Christian church, shrine, organization, etc.  In that case they would be "genuine" but not genuine ancient or medieval coins.

SC

Yes, I think that you are absolutely right, it's exactly what I am starting to think 🤔, reading all the answers. Fantasy religious coins, old, but not ancient. I didn't give importance to ID them before, too late for me to get disappointed with [REMOVED BY ADMIN]. BTW it's a great lesson for me to improve and learn. I've other 30 40 coins similar style, no need to post them anymore. Thanks to you and to everyone.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2021, 05:04:25 pm »
Actually, if you had the time, posting a fake coin report for each one would be a great service for other collectors.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2021, 07:30:20 pm »
What was the description in the listing from [REMOVED BY ADMIN]? All their lots are coded and searchable both by lot number and also kept in your account.   Unless you closed out your account years ago and don't remember the password.
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Online Gianluca G

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2021, 04:09:06 am »
What was the description in the listing from Heritage? All their lots are coded and searchable both by lot number and also kept in your account.   Unless you closed out your account years ago and don't remember the password.

I order next tens of worldwide auction houses, from many years. This is my problem. I need to reach back the order and my data. I'm 90% sure, only my memory can fool me for the remaining 10% lol, that this lot came from [REMOVED BY ADMIN]. I'm not totally sure, too many purchases in my life. I'll try to research it back. Thanks for your message.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2021, 07:52:17 am »
I'm not totally sure, too many purchases in my life.

You will fit in very well with some of us.....   ;)

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Online Gianluca G

• Consul
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2021, 08:12:00 am »
I'm not totally sure, too many purchases in my life.

You will fit in very well with some of us.....   ;)

SC

+++  ;)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2021, 05:29:11 pm »
WE DO NOT NAME SELLERS HERE unless they are on the Notorious Fake Seller List (to condemn) or are procurator monetae (to praise).
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2021, 05:30:23 pm »
Actually, if you had the time, posting a fake coin report for each one would be a great service for other collectors.

SC

Anyone can submit fake coin reports for these coins. It is not necessary to be the one who posted them here on the boards to be the one who submits a fake coin reports.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity