Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Meepzorp's coin website  (Read 266602 times)

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Meepzorp's coin website
« Reply #900 on: June 29, 2017, 05:56:51 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I swapped out 8 sub-par Greek Italy photos. They are all Campania.

Some Forum members may be wondering why I haven't updated my website in several days. The reason is that I had a medical issue. I needed surgery. Since January, I've had abdominal pain and swelling. During the past 6 months, I've had several tests done (2 CAT scans, MRI, sonogram, etc.). Everything was normal. They couldn't find anything wrong with me.

A few weeks ago, I saw my primary care doctor. He told me that I had a hernia. He visually/clinically diagnosed me. My intestine was in my scrotum. That explained my abdominal pain and swelling for the past 6 months. I needed surgery to correct it. I was very worried because of my medical history. I thought I was going to die. I had never had surgery or anesthesia in my life. So many things could have gone wrong.

I "went under the knife" on 6/20. Everything went surprisingly well. My hernia was very large. The surgeon had to install mesh. During the surgery, my surgeon discovered another (smaller) hernia near my belly button, which required him to make another hole in my abdomen. I actually had 2 hernias. He corrected both of them. I wound up with 3 holes in my abdomen, instead of 2. This increased my pain and recovery time.

It has been 9 days since my surgery. I am finally recovered enough to the point that I can do minor things, like work on my website, for example.

Meepzorp

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #901 on: June 30, 2017, 08:58:07 am »
Meepzorp,

I am both glad and relieved to hear that you are OK and on the road to recovery.

Peter

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #902 on: June 30, 2017, 09:50:02 am »
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the message. :)

Meepzorp

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #903 on: June 30, 2017, 10:14:28 am »
Hi Mep..

I hope yuo are right and everything are OK ..

Regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #904 on: June 30, 2017, 10:16:15 am »
Hi quad,

Thank you. :)

Meepzorp

Offline akeady

• Praetorian
« Reply #905 on: July 04, 2017, 08:18:58 pm »
Glad to hear you're on the mend and hope you'll be fully better soon.

ATB,
Aidan.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #906 on: July 05, 2017, 04:28:45 pm »
Hi ak,

Thank you. :)

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #907 on: July 05, 2017, 04:31:20 pm »
Hi folks,

It's been a while since I swapped out sub-par photos. The reason for that is that I got backed up on many things because of my surgery. As soon as I get caught up, I'll resume swapping out my photos.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #908 on: July 09, 2017, 10:20:09 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I added one coin to each of my following website pages:

Greek Italy, Campania, Neapolis, silver, Part 1 (fourth coin)

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gi_camp_neap_ar01.htm

Greek Italy, Apulia, Azetium (fourth coin)

[This page no longer exists.]

These are new arrivals. I just received them recently.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #909 on: July 09, 2017, 10:27:55 pm »
Hi folks,

By the way, in that auction (the one alluded to in my post above), I also bid on the rare Campania, Teanum Sidicinum AE MFB coin. I just missed it. I was the direct under-bidder. I bid 210 euros on it. It sold for 220 euros.

I really wanted that coin. That is why I bid so high on it (3 times the minimum bid). :(

Meepzorp

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #910 on: July 10, 2017, 03:37:56 am »
Hi Meep,

I like your new coins!

Best not to carry any regret over coins you do not win. You bid a maximum and the coin went for more than you were prepared to pay. It may appear on paper that you only lost by 10 euros, but you do not know how far the winning bidder was prepared to go had you in fact stayed in the game.

Peter

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #911 on: July 11, 2017, 12:31:51 am »

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #912 on: July 11, 2017, 12:59:52 am »
Hi Meep,

Best not to carry any regret over coins you do not win. You bid a maximum and the coin went for more than you were prepared to pay. It may appear on paper that you only lost by 10 euros, but you do not know how far the winning bidder was prepared to go had you in fact stayed in the game.

Peter

Hi Pete,

I know. I am well aware of that. The winning bidder could have bid 500 euros. Or it may have been a live bidder who attended the auction in person. I suspect the latter.

It is rare that I feel this way regarding coins I didn't win. This happens less than 5% of the time. That coin really appealed to me, for several reasons:

1) Of course, my ancestry is a factor. My maternal grandparents came from the Campania region of Italy.

2) My website's Campania, Teanum Sidicinum page is lacking. In fact, it contains the least number of examples of any of my Campania pages. I'd like add to it.

3) That was a very nice example.

4) This exact same situation happened in the recent past regarding a Campania, Teanum Sidicinum AE MFB coin in an auction. There is something about coins from that city that causes bidders to bid them up to astronomical levels. I don't know why. Coins from that city, especially MFB examples, appear to be unobtainable. I am surprised that I was able to acquire the Lindgren example many years ago.

By the way, there is also a "flip side" to this situation. The winning bidder may be annoyed with me for bidding so high on it in the first place. I bid 3 times the minimum bid. In order for him to win it, he had to over-bid me. And it wound up costing him a small fortune for something that is basically a small-to-medium-sized AE coin.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #913 on: July 12, 2017, 01:34:58 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I swapped out 11 sub-par Greek Italy photos.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #914 on: July 12, 2017, 08:58:21 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I swapped out 4 sub-par Greek Italy photos. I am now up to Lucania.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #915 on: July 14, 2017, 01:49:39 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I swapped out 16 sub-par Greek Italy photos. They are all Lucania.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #916 on: July 16, 2017, 05:37:25 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I swapped out 8 sub-par Greek Italy photos. They are all Lucania.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #917 on: July 18, 2017, 08:39:11 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I swapped out 9 sub-par Greek Italy photos. They are all Lucania, Paestum.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #918 on: July 21, 2017, 04:14:24 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I swapped out 9 sub-par Greek Italy photos. They are all Lucania.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #919 on: July 22, 2017, 06:23:32 pm »
Hi folks,

As some Forum members may have noticed, my swapping out of photos has slowed down considerably in the past few weeks. Because of my hernia surgery one month ago, I couldn't do much for the past few weeks. I got backed up on so many things. I'm still trying to get caught up. Yesterday, I did some things outside. Today, I spent most of the day doing things around the house. I still have some things to do outside.

I recently received a shipment (one coin) from Joe. I need to post it in my website. Maybe tomorrow?

I also have another shipment (one coin) coming next week. I'll need to add that to my website also.

In the meantime, I've been swapping out my sub-par Greek Italy photos when I had time. I am now up to Lucania, Poseidonia.

My AE Poseidonia coin has been bothering me ever since I posted it. Now that I am up to that coin in my "upgrade", I am correcting some things about it. Let me explain. That is a pedigreed coin from the Lindgren collection. Mr. Lindgren only partially (and somewhat incorrectly) attributed that coin. He correctly identified it as Lucania, Poseidonia. But he got the symbol and some of the references wrong. He described the bull side as the obverse and the Poseidon side as the reverse. When it was time for me to originally post it in my website, I looked at several references, both books and online (Wildwinds, acsearch, etc.). They all describe the Poseidon side as the obverse and the bull side as the reverse. So, I reversed Mr. Lindgren's description and posted it in my website as the references describe it. But it always bothered me because the Poseidon side is very clearly incused (concave), and the bull side is very clearly convex. This implies that the bull side is the obverse and the Poseidon side is the reverse, which is the way that Mr. Lindgren described it. I looked at acsearch today and found 2 examples of that issue. I was able to gather more accurate information about it. The symbol is a caduceus, not a trident. I also obtained more accurate references. It is a rare (R1) coin, which I never knew. Those 2 acsearch examples are also incused on the Poseidon side, and the legend (ethnic) is on the Poseidon side. This is more compelling evidence that the Poseidon side is the reverse. Could the references all be wrong? Anyway, I re-wrote my tags today. Regarding my photos, when I get a chance, I'll be switching the sides back to the way that Mr. Lindgren described them (obverse bull, reverse Poseidon). It turns out that he was correct all along (I think).

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #920 on: July 22, 2017, 06:46:11 pm »
Hi folks,

By the way, regarding my AE Poseidonia coin (described above), if anyone wants to look it up in acsearch, you can enter "poseidon bull ae" in the acsearch search box. A correct reference is HN Italy 1172.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #921 on: July 23, 2017, 02:29:33 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I added one coin to my following website page (last coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gs_sicl_himera_kalakte.htm

This is a new arrival. I just received it recently.

I also corrected my Lucania, Poseidonia, AE coin:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gi_luc_pos.htm

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #922 on: August 06, 2017, 03:03:01 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I added one coin to my following website page:

Medieval Italy, Desana (first coin)

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/mi_desana.htm

This is a new arrival. I just received it recently.

Meepzorp

Offline NORMAN K

• Consul
« Reply #923 on: August 10, 2017, 02:31:57 pm »
Just a note to say hope you are doing well.
Appreciate all your hard work on your site.  It is very interesting.
Norm

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #924 on: August 11, 2017, 09:33:27 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I swapped out 12 sub-par Greek Italy coins. They are all Lucania.

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity