Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Greek Coins Discussion Forum

MFB Man Faced Bull types

<< < (8/8)

Molinari:
That creature was certainly influenced from the more eastern  tradition but I believe it has the body of a lion rather than a bull.

At some point, I'd like to create another site with man-faced bulls from ancient art outside of coinage, similar to my Pinterest page but more organized.  There are a lot.  

archivum:
Lots of man-faced bulls on, e.g., AM coinage from Mallos. I agree the motif's likely ritual-sacrificial in origin.

PtolemAE:
Congratulations to Nick Molinari for the informative and well-received presentation about man-faced bull coin imagery on the ANS live-online net forum on Friday Feb. 5, 2021.

Well done.

PtolemAE

Molinari:

--- Quote from: PtolemAE on February 07, 2021, 03:06:03 am ---Congratulations to Nick Molinari for the informative and well-received presentation about man-faced bull coin imagery on the ANS live-online net forum on Friday Feb. 5, 2021.

Well done.

PtolemAE

--- End quote ---

Thanks, PtolemAE, I'm just seeing this now!  That was a lot of fun!

curtislclay:
Nick,

I no longer find your query about the SVESA translation, to which the following was meant to be an answer??

Curtis

"I have deliberately chosen three types to support the thesis that I am advancing, and to make it obvious that the figure of a bull or a man-headed bull can only refer to Acheloios, an identification with which the cornucopia also agrees. The first of these types is common, but quite extraordinary because of the inscription that the bearded bull bears on his back, where SVESA can clearly be read, though the first letter is weak at the top. I showed this coin to Baron Domenico Ronchio, one of our most experienced ancient numismatists, but he responded that he had never seen anything like it, and had no idea how to explain it. But he did mention a possibility that had occurred to me too, that Suesa at the time had perhaps fallen under the domination of Naples, so was obliged to take over that city's laws and to use its coins. One might also conjecture that such an alliance between Naples and Suesa had recently fallen apart, and for that reason Suesa had decided to stamp its own name on coins of Naples that had already been struck and were in circulation at Suesa. For the possibility seems worth considering that the name SVESA was not stamped on the coin from the beginning, but only later, after the coin had already been struck, choosing a space on the coin left empty by the original type, so that...."

Nick,

I don't understand the last clause, "uti nummum contrectani pater". Are those words completely and correctly transcribed?

A couple of other problems or possible corrections:

"segli typos". "selegi"?

It might have affected my translation to know what argument Ignarra is drawing from "the cornucopia".

"The learned numismatic baron's name. I don't know how it would be correctly transcribed into Italian or English.

"explicate". Maybe "explicare"?

"Seusano". needs an additional "s" at end.

"hoc etiam contemplatione". "hac" rather than "hoc"?

"exaratum suit". "fuit" not "suit"

"cuso jam numismatii". Ending presumably "e" rather than "ii"?

Maybe no article here, since you're right that the idea of an undertype  doesn't occur?

Best regards,

Curtis

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version